Jul 6, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth is now hitting .221 after last night's 0-for-4 performance.
Over their last 17 innings, spanning two days, the Nationals have scored six runs. Here's how those six runs have crossed the plate:
2. Bases-loaded walk
3. Wild pitch
4. Fielder's choice
5. Throwing error
6. Infield single
Not exactly the traditional method of scoring, even if those six runs have been good enough to produce back-to-back wins over the Cubs.
It's not like the Nationals don't get themselves opportunities to score runs in more conventional fashion. They had 11 at-bats last night with runners in scoring position. They just only managed two hits in those situations.
"We're just, I think we're looking for too much, or not looking for our pitch and driving it," manager Davey Johnson said. "I like the hitters in our lineup. It's not like they're slouches. They're good hitters, but we just haven't done what we're capable of."
There is some truth to what Johnson says. Ryan Zimmerman (despite his .234 average and .697 OPS) is no slouch. Ian Desmond, prior toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)