Jul 6, 2011, 3:21 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth is now hitting .221 after last night's 0-for-4 performance.
Over their last 17 innings, spanning two days, the Nationals have scored six runs. Here's how those six runs have crossed the plate:
2. Bases-loaded walk
3. Wild pitch
4. Fielder's choice
5. Throwing error
6. Infield single
Not exactly the traditional method of scoring, even if those six runs have been good enough to produce back-to-back wins over the Cubs.
It's not like the Nationals don't get themselves opportunities to score runs in more conventional fashion. They had 11 at-bats last night with runners in scoring position. They just only managed two hits in those situations.
"We're just, I think we're looking for too much, or not looking for our pitch and driving it," manager Davey Johnson said. "I like the hitters in our lineup. It's not like they're slouches. They're good hitters, but we just haven't done what we're capable of."
There is some truth to what Johnson says. Ryan Zimmerman (despite his .234 average and .697 OPS) is no slouch. Ian Desmond, prior toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day