Jul 6, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth is now hitting .221 after last night's 0-for-4 performance.
Over their last 17 innings, spanning two days, the Nationals have scored six runs. Here's how those six runs have crossed the plate:
2. Bases-loaded walk
3. Wild pitch
4. Fielder's choice
5. Throwing error
6. Infield single
Not exactly the traditional method of scoring, even if those six runs have been good enough to produce back-to-back wins over the Cubs.
It's not like the Nationals don't get themselves opportunities to score runs in more conventional fashion. They had 11 at-bats last night with runners in scoring position. They just only managed two hits in those situations.
"We're just, I think we're looking for too much, or not looking for our pitch and driving it," manager Davey Johnson said. "I like the hitters in our lineup. It's not like they're slouches. They're good hitters, but we just haven't done what we're capable of."
There is some truth to what Johnson says. Ryan Zimmerman (despite his .234 average and .697 OPS) is no slouch. Ian Desmond, prior toRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"