Game 89: Cubs at Nats

Jul 7, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to complete a four-game sweep of the Cubs tonight.

If you're going to be an above-average team in this league, you've got to be able to consistently beat below-average teams. Which is exactly what the Nationals have been doing this week to the obviously struggling Cubs. They've won the first three games of this series (albeit each by one run) and tonight have a chance to finish off a four-game series sweep.

Livan Hernandez (who has been excellent his last two starts) takes the ball for the Nats. He'll face Matt Garza, who was a potential trade target of the Nationals over the winter and has been OK (but not great) for Chicago.

Couple of changes to the Nats' lineup tonight. Laynce Nix takes a seat, perhaps to rest his sore Achilles' tendon, so Roger Bernadina slides to left field and Rick Ankiel starts in center. Ivan Rodriguez is behind the plate, giving Wilson Ramos the night off.

In other roster news: The Nationals have officially secured optional waivers on Collin Balester. He's reported to Class AAA Syracuse, and he's back on the 40-man roster.

Updates to come…

Vote Morse!

3. The Joker - Jul 7, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Stuff those baby bears!

4. Nats1924 - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:00 PM

lets go dubs!!!!!! sweeeeeeeeeep

5. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Last year, I seem to remember that Desmond hit much better when he wasn't in the 8 spot with the pitcher behind him. Has that trend continued this year? He seems to have been hitting 8 a lot lately…

6. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I like when Pudge catches Livo.. I think they have the vulcan mind meld thing going on and can read each other perfectly.

7. Sean Kelly - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Woo back from the honeymoon and damn proud to see the Nats above .500, but was a bit shocked to hear about Riggs… Let's go get that sweet sweep and keep it rolling!

8. SonnyG10 - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Go Jayson!!! GYFNG!!!!

9. natsfan1a - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Agree re. Livo and Pudge. Live long and prosper.Let's go NATS!!

10. Navy Nats Fan - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:16 PM

After reading all the discussion the last couple of weeks about the team's offensive woes, I found this article by Tom Verducci of SI pretty interesting. Just remember, we are not alone in this drought. Pitching is better, defense is better, PEDs are rarer, and hitting will suffer.

11. Section 222 - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:17 PM

1a — Jim, I'm a Doctor not a miracle worker!

12. Bones McCoy - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a pitching coach!

13. NatStat - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:28 PM

IMHO Pudge, because of experience, can do more in handling a pitcher than WilRam, particularly noted when working with our resident magician, Livo The Great. But I like WilRam's bat—when he's not missing bunting signs and threatening AllStar Mickey Morse's life.Gooo Vulcans! May the Gorse be with you! Live Wrong and Prespire!Gooooooooooo Nats!

14. natsfan1a - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Good one, 222!

15. Nats Outsider - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I love Livo, because he is one of those players who shows every day how much he loves the game. But the more I see him pitch the more he mystifies me. Just how does he get batters out? It looks like he is just playing catch out there. Just tossing the ball back and forth. He never seems to have fantastic stuff; his control is fine but he doesn't seem to have laser precision; and of course he never blows anyone away with his speed. And yet he often walks away with a win against teams with very good hitters. So — seriously — can someone explain what is going on when Livo pitches?

16. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Throw it fast, throw it slow, make it bend. That's how.

17. Grandstander - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Ramos has been on an absolute tear this homestand, raising his average from .235 to .254 in just 5 games.He's slashed .438/.526/.750 giving him an OPS of 1.276 to go along with 2 2Bs, 1 HR and 5 RBI. He's also managed to take 3 BBs while only giving up 1 K.I know you've got to keep Pudge in there, but as long as Ramos is this hot, I'd like to see that limited to day games after night games. I also think he should be batting ahead of Werth for the time being in the 5/6 hole.

18. Bedford Forrest - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Let's shock the Cubs. Each batter bunts in the first inning. Let's mess with the collective mind of the Cubs.

19. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:29 PM

My broom is next to my recliner.

20. JaneB - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Anon at 5:06 is right. AND he is unflappable. AND he wants to win. Not just the game, but every pitch. He puts it out there and if you hit it, you win. If you don't he (we) wins. He has been quoted often as saying every pitch is it's own event (I am wildly paraphrasing here) and he isn't pitching a game as much as he is pitching THIS ball and then THIS ball. Except, for a strike, not a ball. Unless he wants to send you chasing some trash, in which case, it's for a ball. He is wiley, our Livo. And I also just LOVE when Pudge catches him. Livo is like the Yoda of pitching to me. And Pudge is the Yoda of catching.OKAY! GYFNG!!!!

21. NatsLady - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM

I heard on the radio today that the Yankees have their eyes on Sean Burnett (need a lefty in their bullpen). What say you all? Feel bad, only voted about 200 times…

22. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Joe Mauer to 1st base and Butera catching. The Twins want Wilson Ramos back and will give the Nats their beaten up closer Matt Capps.

23. NatsLady - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Atlanta won today. Again.Red Queen, anyone???

24. NatsLady - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM

AK just posted that Pudge was scratched with a "back injury". More later.

25. A DC Wonk - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Nats Outsider wrote: I love Livo, because he is one of those players who shows every day how much he loves the game. But the more I see him pitch the more he mystifies me. Just how does he get batters out? It looks like he is just playing catch out there.Indeed, it does look like he's just playing catch!I once heard somebody say that for pitching there are three elements: (a) speed; (b) location; and (c) movement — and that a good pitcher just needs to be good at two of them. My sense is that Livo is (obviously) good at (b) and (c). Another aspect not necessarily in that list of three is: variability of speed. Livo's 83 mph fastball is no big deal — unless it comes after a 59-mph big-bender curve.Livo's is a real artist out there.

26. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM

@NatsLady: If the Yanks want Burnett, I'd personally drive him up I-95 to the Bronx, and pay the tolls. No offense to the guy, but I just don't understand how he gets anybody out. That sweeping curve can be laid off and often is not a strike any way. And his fastball is, what, 91 at best? I just don't think he makes a good LOOGY, and his confidence appears shot by now. Move him, and just call that Milledge-Gascanrahan trade a loss, and write it off. If the Yanks are offering any prospect, I'd take it. A good Yankee prospect is probably better than a fourth-rate LOOGY at this point. See Clipper, Tyler. How's that worked out for us?GYFNG. The broom is between my bottles of bourbon and Maalox.

27. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM

See Clippard, Tyler. Oops.

28. erocks33 - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM

ESPN is reporting that former Expos manager (amongst other clubs) Dick Williams has passed away. He was 380-347 (.523) while with the Expos from 77-81. Ended up managing for 21 years in the majors, ending up with a 1571-1451 (.520) record.Condolences to his family and friends.

29. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Victorino won the final vote. YUCK

30. Mark Zuckerman - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM

NatsLady: Check out my posting above at 5:05 p.m. about the Pudge scratch.

31. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM

If the Yanks want Burnett, I'd personally drive him up I-95 to the Bronx, and pay the tolls. No offense to the guy, but I just don't understand how he gets anybody out.With Slaten on the DL they went out and signed JC Romero to go with Hall (former Brave) and good ol' 40-man roster place holder Athualpo Severino. There be your potential LOOGY replacements. And you ask why Davey wanted Detwiler who sports a power left-handed arm in his bullpen? There's Milone, true but he has been a starter, projects to be a starter and made the IL All Star team for the last place Chiefs as a starter. He is a left-handed starter and a potential Lannan replacement should a beneficial trade appear with a team … well such as the Yankees who might just be interested in an effective left-handed starter? Doh!

32. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Value for value @Sunshine. The Yankees aren't going to want a slumping Burnett they might go for a very hot Lannan though.

33. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Last weekend when the crowd started booing Werth it was Livo who stepped up to stand by Werth on the dugout steps. Classy teammate. Maybe Werth can convert an at bat for him tonight. Whatsanattau

34. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Danny Espinosa is tied for 1st in the Majors for HR w/ RISP

35. Grandstander - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Does it matter where the runners are when you hit a home run?

36. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Grandstander, just shows how far he hits them when he has RISP.

37. natsfan1a - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Victorino won? Blech.Whatsanatta, thanks, didn't realize that Livo had done that, though it doesn't surprise me that he would.

38. waddu eye no - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM

"Does it matter where the runners are when you hit a home run?"uh, yeah. if they're on base, they score.

39. waddu eye no - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM

yeah, i know. i'm a snot

40. natsfan1a - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Nah, only when you're executing a sac bunt. Oof!Grandstander said… Does it matter where the runners are when you hit a home run?

41. natsfan1a - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Okay, that was supposed to be suicide squeeze. I hate when people get the words wrong…

42. Dave - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Friends, may I ask a MASN question?Who the heck is this Mel Antonen person? At the very end of the Mid-Atlantic Sports Report, right before they threw it to the baseball games, he suddenly got all snotty about the Nats' attendance.Uh, Mel, did you check the Orioles' attendance over the past 10 years?

43. natsfan1a - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I'm not familiar with him but he may also wish to run a split taking into account Yankee and Sox fan attendance at the Yards. (Oh no, I didn't!)

44. NatsLady - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:50 PM

MZ, sorry, didn't look up to the top after I hit the refresh button. No offense intended. NL

45. Dave - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:51 PM

What he was saying, actually, was that he couldn't believe the Nats only drew 19K and change when the Cubs were in town.Phil Wood tried to tell him that it was a very hot night, mid-week, etc., but Mel would not be deterred.I guess he's used to the ballpark being taken over by fans of the higher-profile teams, like you said.

46. Nats Outsider - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:56 PM

@Dave–Mel Antonen must be one helluva guy. You are talking about none other than the featured speaker at at the 2009 B’nai B’rith Sportsman of the Year Banquet in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.No, I am not making this up Obviously, his opinions are to be regarded with great respect.

47. NatsLady - Jul 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

How much did Morse lose by? I had to take time off to get my car out of the shop, and if it was my fault, I'll regret it til the end of my days. : ))

48. Another_Sam - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM

If I didn't have to work for a living, I'd be down at the park right now watching Livan do those long throws getting ready. Here's my song again: clearly he's the ace of this staff, and the class act of this club. And the guy who knows the most baseball. So evident, even in spring training, when he always had a posse of young players around him. [You've all heard me babble on before on this topic.]

49. NatsLady - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Maybe the Cubs fans didn't represent midweek. I mean, y'know, seeing how well their team is playing, maybe they're just waiting for the Astros. Went on their site, boy, you want to hear some trashing of the manager and GM??? Whooo.By the way, posters on their MLB site say they have the highest payroll in the NL. Is that true?

50. Nats Outsider - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

51. Gonat - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Nats Outsider said… Speaking of attendance, the Nats are averaging 23,438 per game this year, which is 56.5 percent of capacity and 21st in the majors. Not great, but it is almost 2,000 fans per game more than the Orioles, who are averaging 21,751, 47.9 percent of capacity, and puts them in 25th place out of 30 teams.The Phillies are number 1, which is no real surprise, but they are averaging over 100 percent of official capacity, and that did surprise me.http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance July 7, 2011 7:04 PM _________________________________The Nats are getting a bigger true home crowd which is impressive than any other season where visitors always had a large percentage. The Orioles are still a home away from home for the Red Sox and Yankees so their numbers will always be distorted more than Washington which is a home away from home for the Phoolies and no longer drawing big for the Mets.

52. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Let's go Werth!

53. Anonymous - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:31 PM

And he strikes out. Again.

54. Tim - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Amother Sam… i love Livo, too. Class act? On the field, no doubt. Off the field? Now in question. Serious legal problems. See:http://www.natsinsider.com/2011/04/hernandez-named-in-investigation.htmlI hope he's cleared because he truly is a treasure.

55. MicheleS - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Werth may have struck out, but he added to Garza's pitch count ( I know I am really digging for a good sign)

56. Dave - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:36 PM

@Tim, to be fair, that link you gave is to a post from April.I wonder how Livo's legal thing's going, but I figure no news is good news.Sorry to see Jayson strike out, but he just is not a .220 hitter. He is going to break out. I look forward to after the All-Star break.

57. Grandstander - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM

@NatsLadyPhillies are highest payroll in NL. Cubs are second. Cubs payroll is double the Nats payroll who are 12th in the league.

58. Wally - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Garza looks sharp tonight. Those sliders to Morse and Werth in the 1st were quality pitches. Very few righties will hit sliders executed that well, especially when his FB is 96-97. Livo looks sharp too. You know, unlike most of you, I am not a big Livo fan. I appreciate what he does, but usually I would prefer to read a magazine while he does it. However, the value that he has given the Nats over the last two years, meaning performance for the contract, is probably the highest in the majors (for a non arbitration level guy). Well done, Big Guy.

59. DannyEllinosa - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Oh Dannyboy!

60. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I got to give props to Mark Lerner. If I were the owner, I would be in the suite, not out in that heat.

61. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Chien Ming Wang has 4 innings in the books in Harrisburg. 0 runs, 2 hits, 1 K and no walks. I'm starting to believe the guy I watched 5 weeks ago has improved tremendously.

62. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:05 AM

NatsJack… thanks for the update! Hopefully CMW can contribute to the team (especially if we trade Marquis)

63. dj in Fl. - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:05 AM

@Dave and Outsider, Many transplanted residents to DC, Mel included, fail to grasp that this is the number one vacation week, and neither a Cubs or first Lady visit will help or hinder.Mel was a baseball beat writer for years until digital replaced print. I also trust that if you were asked to speak at an event back in your home town you would show up too.Mel is not an O's man, he is a baseball man, and if you can ever get the chance to sit down and talk ball with him you will enjoy the time.If you haven't guessed he is also a friend and if you give him any more grief, I will come up there. Don't make me come up there! GYFNG!

64. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM

YES!!! Good job Werth!

65. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM

And that will be a HARD hit Line drive in the box score! COME ON JAYSON!!

66. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM

werth finally got a hit, I'd love to see him for a week swing at the 1st pitch of every at bat

67. RickH - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Jayson Werth gets a hit. Not a great hit, but a hit (and RBI). I'll take it.

68. Wally - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:10 AM

By the way, forget that whole 'Garza looks sharp' thing.Yee hah!

69. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:11 AM

5th inning for Wang in Harrisburg, 3 up, 3 down with another K.

70. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_ - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:13 AM

I am so glad we passed on signing this gas can, Garza.

71. Navy Nats Fan - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Butch Cassidy to Sundance Kid……

72. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Remember that laugher against St Louis… God this is looking like that one.. AND LIVO was pitching that night as well!

73. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Navy Nats Fan.. I hate to sound stupid (and it has been years since I saw that movie).. explain the reference to Butch and Sundance?

74. Navy Nats Fan - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:18 AM

WHO ARE THOSE GUYS?!?!?!?

75. DannyEllinosa - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:18 AM

And a big hit for our Racing President Wilson! (Ramos)

76. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Wang throws 43 pitches (32 strikes) to 16 hitters through 5 innings. Job done for the night. 2 hits, 2 K's, no runs.

77. DannyEllinosa - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Sharkadina! This is fun…

78. pos anon - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Far be it from me to suggest anything better than GYFNG! That said, I would like to suggest this as another rallying cry: 1969! 86-76 is within our reach. How 'bout them apples? GYNFG! 1969!

79. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM

OMG! Okay, I'm back on board. The journey begins to October…

80. Anonymous8 - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:27 AM

81. Nats Outsider - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM

What happened to Mark's updates. I haven't seen anything since 7:51. I hope he didn't faint from the scoring outbreak.

82. NatinBeantown - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM

JaneB,Way late on this, but "He is wiley, our Livo" is exquisite. if someone to make t-shirts bearing the phrase, I'm buying.And a belated thanks for the eloquent 4th of July post. The NatinBeantown family made it down for a wonderful weekend in DC, including my first trip to NP in a long time. There is something quite wonderful in that ballpark, way up in the 400 level concourse, third base side. There's a refreshing breeze. To your left is a great view of the Capitol Dome. The field spreads out before you, and beuond the RF stands you see the big ships in the Anacostia by the Navy Yard. I now think NP is quite underrated.But enough about that. Bourbon and brooms sound great!

83. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Unterp: Glad to have you back, have a big swig of the Bourbon spiked Koolaid and join the fun! No Maalox tonight!

84. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Mark Z must be out of the Booth!! That's why we scored so many runs!!!

85. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:47 AM

@dj in FL, I actually usually like Mel when I see him on that (rather clumsily produced) Sports Report show.It was very odd today the way he stuck in that bit about the lousy Nats attendance. They were literally going to commercial–Tom Davis was literally trying to shut the show down, and pretty much had to ride right over him.I've been away from the computer during the last few innings. This seems to be that high-offense laugher that Davey Johnson has been looking for. Win this one, boys, and take the skipper's record above .500!GYFNG!

86. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:48 AM

MicheleS said… LOL!

87. TimDz - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Nice assist by Ankiel there…Espi looked like Zimm in that Geico commercial….

88. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Mark, great news on Chien-Ming Wang. All the stars are beginning to align…

89. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Coors Light Freeze Cam.. FP's new love.. I wonder what the XMO thinks….

90. Grandstander - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:56 AM

So, I guess we figured out the Nats offensive struggles. Mark's ability to get press pool photos meant he never left the box. Perhaps you should continue to leave the box for an inning or two here and there to help the team?

91. Tim - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:00 AM

92. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM

8:43 p.m. — Meanwhile, in Harrisburg tonight, Chien-Ming Wang put forth another strong rehab effort. Five scoreless innings, allowing only two hits, with two strikeouts and no walks. Only needed 43 pitches, and he topped out at 92 mph. So his totals over three rehab starts now: 12 ip, 7 h, 2 er, 2 bb, 7 k. I think it's probably safe to say now we're going to see this guy in D.C. by the end of the month. Pretty remarkable when you think how little progress he had made over the course of 1 1/2 seasons. ___________________________Whoa whoa whoa, stop the presses. Our NatsJack told us to basically put a fork in this guy and send him packing.Isn't that why we play the game?

93. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Tim said… Bob Carpenter said it… the Cubs are mailing it in. Mike Quadey is history. No hustle. Heads are gonna roll. July 7, 2011 9:00 PM _____________________________Far from over. I see bases loaded out there and a 7 run lead now.Heed the words that Anon8 said from Cincy last night.

94. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Ruh roh. I'm looking for my bottle of Maalox.

95. dj in Fl. - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM

@DaveHope Mel didn't catch that talk radio disease, talk just for the sake of talking, that seems to affect announcers that go there.Time to tighten up Livo!!!!

96. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Don't worry the Nats will win 8-7.

97. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Holy crap. That ball hit the foul pole WAY up high.8-6 Nats. @9:06, you might be right.

98. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_ - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:08 AM

So much for the laugher…

99. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Livo deserves to lose this. He should be ashamed of himself.

100. Grandstander - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:10 AM

I'm having visions of that 8-6 game we had against the Cards 3 weeks ago. Nothing is easy with this team.

101. Tim - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Blame this one on me. Maybe Livo "mailed it in."

102. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Anonymous8 said… The Reds had a 8-0 lead yesterday and had to win it in extras against the Cardinals so while it looks like a laugher, not much is this early in the game. 6 more innings to go and it would be nice to see a complete game large margin win by Livan since this is his last game before the All Star break. July 7, 2011 8:27 PM ______________________________Truer words weren't spoken until Bob Carpenter said what you said about 5 minutes ago.

103. DCDingo - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Davey will learn, but this is where Riggs would have brought out the hook much earlier in the inning.

104. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:13 AM

@Gonat, I'm sure Bob and FP have this very game thread open on their laptops in the booth.Right, Bob? FP? Give us a sign!

105. FS - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:15 AM

I just want us to get out of this inning right now.I hope we can put few more runs on the board so Storen does not have to pitch tonight. Most likely he will not pitch either way, even in a save situation.

106. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Oh. My. Goddd!!! –Jaws 1975–

107. JaneB - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:17 AM

They ain't mailing it in anymore! Mark, quick! Your friends in the stands need to see you right away!NatsinBeantown, thank YOU,GYFNG. NO MORE NONSENSE.

108. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Dave, I sometimes think that is true or their producer skims NI for info and feeds it to him.Livan who lacked run support really was a huge disappointment tonight.

109. A DC Wonk - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Mark!!! Time to leave the press box again! Stat!!

110. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:22 AM

The Shark with a web gem. Thanks, Roger!

111. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM

just picked my self up off the floor.. had to get the defibrulator out.. must find maalox…and Sharkadina saves one!

112. Mark'd - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:25 AM

NatsJack, you may lose your job as a Florida scout. How much is Mark Z. paying you?

113. Drew8 - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:27 AM

So I get home from work and the score is 8-0.Samardzija's here and the time is rightfor dancin' in the street.I visit with my wife for a few minutes, turn on the game and it's 8-6. What the hey?????So much for Davey's laugher. Here we go again.

114. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:27 AM

worried about burnett coming in

115. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:29 AM

blech…

116. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:29 AM

what did I say…

117. Anonymous8 - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Yep, the Kardiac Kids are at it again. My stomach is sick. I can't believe what I saw. Livan really let us down.

118. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Well, so much for that. Burnett gives up the lead with a single pitch.What do you think about that, Yankees? You really want this guy?

119. Grandstander - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:30 AM

This is a joke.

120. Harper is Awesome - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Burnett needs to be sent down or put on the DL.. you can not tell me with a straight face that he is better than Balestar??

121. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Did Burnett watch the game last night as Gorzelanny pitched to Carlos Pena?

122. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:33 AM

typical burnett gives the ball game away and then gets the strikeout

123. A DC Wonk - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Hey all, the pitchers, including Livo are allowed to have bad nights every once in a while

124. Harper is Awesome - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Hey DC Wonk!!!!! No hate on Livo hes been fine all year but Burnett has just been plain bad every other time he takes the mound. You cannot tell me that I need to lay off of him. DO you want me to lay off of Werth?? Hell why not say Doug Slaten is the best left handed specialist in the league?

125. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:38 AM

No when you're winning 8-0 in the 6 inning you should win that game, easy. no excuses

126. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:38 AM

UNTERP.. I know you are fragile at this point, but hang in there!!! I know we can do this, we can WIN!!!and agree on Burnett.. DL or sent down to work on whatever is going on.

127. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:40 AM

And the new manager MASN commercial…DJ.. Columbo style – mumbling in the background about 1 run wins… and all you see is the bottle of bourbon and maalox

128. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:40 AM

its funny how or sad that back in spring training all the beat writers were writing articles on how great Burnett was and how he has become one of the best reliever…

129. Tim - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Another test of character for our young, growing team. Let's see if we can bounce back.

130. JaneB - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:42 AM

I was greedy. I admit it. I wanted them to win by at least six. I am down with the one run win. I really am. They can do it. We can help.GYFNG!!!!!!!!!!!!

131. FS - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Hilarious! I am sorry but I find this game funny. I mean someone said it before (where I forgot) that our pitchers do not know how to pitch in a blowout games. This game is just another example.Before I went to eat, I imagined this whole Burnett scenario. Came back and checked that it came true. Just pathetic.

132. CBinDC - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Man NOW they are in a funk …….could not miss and now can not hit ……what in the world was Davy thinking leaving Livo in that long ……I think the heat got to him …but how can you lose a 8 RUN LEAD !!!!!!!

133. waddu eye no - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:44 AM

livo – an anomoly for him. but typical sean.as per previous rumor – i guess burnett doesn't want to go to NY.

134. A DC Wonk - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:45 AM

@Harper – dude, chill. Actually I was referring to comments about Livo.

135. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Okay.. all naysayers.. that brought up that come back by STL last night… Just remember, STL still LOST That game!

136. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:48 AM

The Nats need to get this tie into the bottom of the 8th where the Top of the order will come up.

137. Harper is Awesome - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:50 AM

You must have a love affair with Burnett cuz he has been awful all year

138. Tim - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Michelle… I'm needin some of that Maalox!

139. FS - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:58 AM

We can not possibly lose this game?

140. Anonymous8 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:00 AM

That Espinosa play will turn the tables there back to the Nats!!!!

141. Grandstander - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Slick play by Danny to keep this in check. I'm not confident in this game, but they got the 1-run game they apparently wanted so bad.

142. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Hey Harper, who are you talking to? Who are you saying has a love affair with Burnett? I don't see any positive comments about him here.Read the thread, man.

143. waddu eye no - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:09 AM

danny-don't sweat the bunt. you're allowed one weakness. and bernie got there without you, so we break even.GYFNG

144. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM

MORSE!!! God I love this.. It's builds character!

145. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM

The BEAST Michael Morse!!!!!!!

146. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Big Mike saves the day. A single up the middle drives in the Shark to make it 9-9.So here comes our 1-run win, I guess.

147. waddu eye no - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:11 AM

BEAST MODE!!!!made that pitcher hop!!

148. FS - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:13 AM

God I love this team.

149. Alan_A - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM

OK, i'll take the tie at this point. An aside – what's the deal with Carpentet getting all over Werth's case? Has he decided to go for instant credibility by trashing him, or is he posessed by Dibble? He totally misrepresented the Boz piece. FP keeps trying to reel him back in. What gives?

150. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Campana, take away the bunt.

151. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Mark Zuckerman-What's the status with Clippard and Storen tonight? Are they available?

152. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:24 AM

I thought campana was the bat boy

153. Ribuld - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Did Davey fall asleep?

154. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Well after Barney's hit, that's why I asked the question on Clip and Store….Davey looks desperate overusing these guys in the bullpen.

155. Alan_A - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Oy. Just oy.

156. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Think back to that Seattle game on June 21st. Nats were behind 4 runs in the 9th.Let's Go Nats!!!!

157. Drew8 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Go You Freaking Nuke Go!(As in away — before my stomach lining is completely gone.)

158. CBinDC - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Well Davy really MANAGED this game tonight

159. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Ribuld said… Did Davey fall asleep? July 7, 2011 10:25 PM _________________________Davey fell asleep when the score was 8-3 and 2 men on base with DeWitt pinch hitting. It would have been nice to see Davey walk to the mound before that.This team can't do anything the easy way.

160. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:34 AM

I would have let Wilson Ramos swing away for the seats like he did on the Walk-off against Seattle.

161. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:34 AM

I want nix not stairs

162. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Stairs is so bad. So bad.

163. sjm308 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:38 AM

I rarely call for change but Matt Stairs has proven time and again that it has passed him by. I am not sure who could take that spot since I realize we want to keep our young people playing and not sitting on the bench but there has to be a better option.

164. sjm308 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Single here could win the game, or not!OK, just win 2 of 3 from the Rockies and we will be headed into the break in good shape.

165. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:41 AM

i so wish stairs would of never get that walk off a few games back because that bought him another month in the majors

166. Grandstander - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:41 AM

167. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Well. That was unpleasant.Not much fun seeing them throw away a lead of 8-0. Well, bring on the Rockies.

168. waddu eye no - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM

sigh…..only 3 of 4.

169. JaneB - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:43 AM

I kinda can't believe it. Three of four is really good, but still.Okay. Tomorrow. Oh, and may this be the last week of Stairs in a Nats uniform.

170. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_ said - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM

There's not enough bourbon in Kentucky to wash down this loss. Sure you want this job in 2012, Uncle Davey?

171. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Note to Stairs. Hit the ball to the outfield and the game is tied. You see how Bernadina did it? Davey wanted offense, and got it (except in the 9th when a fly ball could tie it). However his pitchers quit on him tonight.

172. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM

WOW what a wasted oppotunity. Pitching was bad. MATT STAIRS!! For god sakes please. All we need is a ball in play and he can't get it. Somebody please shoot this guy. AWFUL!!!

173. MikeD - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:45 AM

There is nothing in Natsville more painful to watch than Stairs at the plate. Somebody make it stop.

174. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:45 AM

Grandstander said… I'm not understanding why you put Stairs in there over Cora, a contact hitter, who's coming in anyway to replace Desmond. This was the most pathetic game of the season, by far. Hopefully they can shake this off and come back tomorrow but personally, I'm fuming. July 7, 2011 10:41 PM _________________________________You hit it correctly. Cora should have come in. You need contact.I asked the question when HenRod came out for innning #2, where was Clippard and Storen?

175. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:46 AM

If I am not mistaken, Clippard and Storen have worked in every game since the double-header on Saturday. I think Johnson is trying not to abuse them.

176. Exposremains - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:49 AM

we should of lost some of the other games so i guess it all evens out. still mad though

177. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Great defense tonight, a ton of clutch hits. The pitching and bullpen stunk and to get that effort from Stairs at that point in the game just was a shame.The 8 position players that started the game deserved better than that but on the other hand the pitchers have won most of these games this year.

178. FS - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:52 AM

This is just sad. Should have won this one. No excuses, just embarrassing loss. You can blame Desmond for not adding more insurance runs in that third inning (no outs and two runners in scoring position), or Davey for bringing in Stairs, or HRod for giving up two runs in two innings. Anyways, let us just move on. Hopefully we can do better against the Rockies.

179. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Gonat, I am with you. This was a terrible job of managing by Davey. If Riggleman would have sent Stairs in instead of Nix or Cora he would just be roasted in the media. This loss will take its toll. Nats will get swept by Rockies. Jason Werth should be batting 8th.

180. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:55 AM

The wrong batter was up. You are correct a contact hitter like Cora should have been up. With the count 2-1. That would be when you could pinch hit for Stairs. As bad as the pitching was tonight the one that got me the maddest was Coffey. He pulled the pet peeves of pet peeves to me. 0-2 count, and then he nibbles his way to a walk (that ends up as run 7). Hits bother me much less than walks.

181. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:55 AM

This is the worst loss of the season and there are SO MANY people responsible.Just unbelievable.

182. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Anon @10:54, thanks for agreeing with me but you have to play the games this weekend and we will see how the team rebounds this weekend.I think they will beat up on the Rockies. It is great having Michael Morse back in the lineup as he really adds so much.

183. CBinDC - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Well I am SO HAPPY we have Davy to MANAGE THIS DEBACLE ……the worst job in 6 years ….real swift there Davy boy

184. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:01 AM

If I see Matt Stairs PH again I will put my hat and jersey away and shut it down for the season. With the game on the line how the HELL do you put a guy up with the lowest (non Pitcher) batting average on the team???? You Suck Davey

185. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:01 AM

When are we done with Matt Stairs and Sean Burnett? WHEN?

186. Anonymous8 - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Davey again looked like he didn't know his team. Let's not blow it all out of porportion as the offense was good and the defense was GREAT.This is one of those games the Manager lost I am afraid to say.

187. CBinDC - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:02 AM

This is what happened in 2005 …..same time of year just here instead of Chicago ……what a job Davy real smart moves all night ………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

188. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Gonat I hope I am wrong. I want to win them all this weekend. I think Friday is important.

189. CBinDC - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:07 AM

We could just get the 100th caller next time ……should we get the pitcher who is suddenly throwing BP out and get one of other relief pictchers in …NAHHHHH lets see if we can blow a 8 RUN LEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

190. George Brett - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:07 AM

There is a reason you do not take high hangers. Pena and DeWhitt showed you why high hangers are easy to deposit into the audience. Werth takes them all the time. Please watch the film Jayson,. High hangers are easy to produce good hits. low breaking pitches are almost impossible to hit, and those are the ones you swing at. Why?

191. Drew8 - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:10 AM

The answer to gut-wrenching pitching is really good pitching. At Syracuse tonight, Tom Milone threw 7 scoreless innings. He won his 7th game and dropped his ERA to 3.15. He has 107 strikeouts and 7 walks.At Hagerstown, A.J. Cole threw 6 scoreless innings and dropped his ERA to 2.87. He has 57 strikeouts and 10 walks.Breathe deep and look for the cavalry riding over the horizon: Strasburg, Peacock, Milone, Cole, Ray.The Nats are not there yet, but they're going to be really good.

192. msiska20832 - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I am SO PISSED!!! 9-0 in the 5th. Livo gives up 6 runs. DJ, why didn't you take him out after three runs had scored? That's why we have a bull pen!!! No…you left him in to get 6 runs. That sad sack reliever Burnett gives up two more. Does DJ really know the pitching staff? Don't think so… Sorry but Livo and Burnett need to go. A long with Stares. I really wanted this game for our Boys…

193. sjm308 - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:11 AM

That was no fun. Just heard this was the biggest lead we have EVER let slip away, not just in Nationals history but also including the EXPOs.Agree that Cora (or even Pudge) would have been a better choice than Stairs who honestly is no choice right now. Also don't know why HRod was back for a 2nd inning. With Detwiler up doesn't that leave us a man short in the pen? if he is only going to throw every 4th or 5th game why keep him up?Think the Rockies have lost at least 4 in a row so lets hope we can keep them reeling.Go Nats

194. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Jayson Werth gave a good post-game interview after the game. He put it in perspective. No panic.The bullpen is overworked which is why Livo stayed in too long.I think Burnett needs to go on the DL and fix what is physically wrong with him. When Burnett goes on the DL you can call Balester back up and he becomes your long man to free up Detwiler to be a key set-up man and take pressure off of Clippard.Stairs needs to go on the DL and never return and get Chris Marrero here.

195. Lil Teddy - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:13 AM

First 87 games Stairs 1 RBI. Mix about 30 some Cora a few. Let's pick Stair? What is the thought process on that? I am coming home from the game I hope someone asked him in the press conference, instead of all those stupid questions Debbi Taylor asks. That is the one I want to know.

196. CBinDC - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:15 AM

I would like someone to tell me if they can think of a worse job of managing in the 7 seasons of the Nationals then was on display tonight. I can not think of it so for my anger can someone tell of one other. REALLY I WANT TO KNOW

197. sjm308 - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:15 AM

If not Marrero who other posters think needs to play every day who? There has to be someone in our organization. What about Antonelli? I am guessing that when Stairs goes off the 40 man that will free a spot for him or the guy who played with the Orioles last year, I think its Aubrey. Someone who can actually play a position and actually hit the ball would be really nice.

198. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Burnett is becoming a puppet on his interviews. "I t was a hanging slider…." Who hung it? Why hang so many?I missed Davy's comments as I was typing here. Did he ever pearls of wisdom to why they lost, and why he batted Stairs. I believe he actually wanted to prove to Rizzo that he (Stairs) has to go.

199. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Good lord, people are certainly going ballistic at an admittedly frustrating loss, which leaves the Nats at only one game above .500, and having only taken the Cubs series 3 games out of 4.All you folks who are talking about this being the worst baseball experience since the Nats came to town: really? Have you forgotten 2008? 2009?There's a reason the Nats got to draft Strasburg and Harper (and Storen): they were the worst team in baseball two years in a row.Go to bed, people. When you wake up tomorrow the Nats will still be one game above .500 and will be getting ready for a series against the Rockies.

200. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:20 AM

>>>I am guessing that when Stairs goes off the 40 man.<<<I honestly don't believe they have any intention of getting rid of Matt Stairs.