Jul 8, 2011, 5:14 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Livan Hernandez is pulled after allowing a three-run homer to Blake DeWitt.
After a loss like this — when you blow the biggest lead in franchise history, come back to tie the game and then still lose — the first inclination is to place blame. Someone has to be the primary culprit responsible for the Nationals’ 10-9 loss to the Cubs Thursday night.
Maybe Livan Hernandez, who was handed an 8-0 lead in the sixth inning and then gave six runs back in a span of minutes, capped by a three-run, Blake DeWitt homer.
“I don’t do a good job today,” the right-hander said. “It’s 8-0. I’m supposed to hold it.”
Maybe Sean Burnett, who entered in the seventh with a chance to protect a two-run lead and immediately served up the tying home run to Carlos Pena, in the process raising his ERA to 5.76 while suffering his sixth blown save.
“I just need to pick up my slack,” the lefty said. “I’ve been pretty bad all year.”
Maybe the lineup that exploded for seven runs off Matt Garza in the third inning, then was held mostly in check the rest of the night
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats decline to name Game 4 starter or playoff roster
- Nationals name Game 1 starter against Giants
- Breaking down the Nats and Giants season series
- Stock Watch: Rotation is sizzling heading into October
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats