Jul 8, 2011, 5:14 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Livan Hernandez is pulled after allowing a three-run homer to Blake DeWitt.
After a loss like this — when you blow the biggest lead in franchise history, come back to tie the game and then still lose — the first inclination is to place blame. Someone has to be the primary culprit responsible for the Nationals’ 10-9 loss to the Cubs Thursday night.
Maybe Livan Hernandez, who was handed an 8-0 lead in the sixth inning and then gave six runs back in a span of minutes, capped by a three-run, Blake DeWitt homer.
“I don’t do a good job today,” the right-hander said. “It’s 8-0. I’m supposed to hold it.”
Maybe Sean Burnett, who entered in the seventh with a chance to protect a two-run lead and immediately served up the tying home run to Carlos Pena, in the process raising his ERA to 5.76 while suffering his sixth blown save.
“I just need to pick up my slack,” the lefty said. “I’ve been pretty bad all year.”
Maybe the lineup that exploded for seven runs off Matt Garza in the third inning, then was held mostly in check the rest of the night
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres