Jul 8, 2011, 5:14 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Livan Hernandez is pulled after allowing a three-run homer to Blake DeWitt.
After a loss like this — when you blow the biggest lead in franchise history, come back to tie the game and then still lose — the first inclination is to place blame. Someone has to be the primary culprit responsible for the Nationals’ 10-9 loss to the Cubs Thursday night.
Maybe Livan Hernandez, who was handed an 8-0 lead in the sixth inning and then gave six runs back in a span of minutes, capped by a three-run, Blake DeWitt homer.
“I don’t do a good job today,” the right-hander said. “It’s 8-0. I’m supposed to hold it.”
Maybe Sean Burnett, who entered in the seventh with a chance to protect a two-run lead and immediately served up the tying home run to Carlos Pena, in the process raising his ERA to 5.76 while suffering his sixth blown save.
“I just need to pick up my slack,” the lefty said. “I’ve been pretty bad all year.”
Maybe the lineup that exploded for seven runs off Matt Garza in the third inning, then was held mostly in check the rest of the night
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win