Jul 8, 2011, 7:27 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats take on the Rockies (and the rain) tonight at Nationals Park.
After their blown game against the Cubs last night, several Nationals players pointed out the importance of bouncing back strong tonight against the Rockies and putting that fiasco behind them. So the impetus is on John Lannan to put together a strong start. In that respect, the Nats are in luck: Lannan has posted a 1.92 ERA over his last eight outings, never allowing more than three runs during that span.
Lannan will be working with Wilson Ramos as his batterymate, with Ivan Rodriguez still sidelined by a strained oblique muscle. This is Ramos' fourth straight game behind the plate, and though he did start five consecutive games earlier this season, you've got to believe Davey Johnson would like to use someone else tomorrow or Sunday. Pudge is either going to need to prove he's healthy enough to play, or Jesus Flores is going to need to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse. [UPDATE AT 3:30 P.M. — The Nats just announced they've placed Pudge on the 15-day DL and recalled Flores. Full story coming.]
The forecast tonight isn't pretty: There's a line of storms fast-approaching as we speak, though it is supposed to be dry around scheduled first pitch. More rain is expected later in the evening, so it could make for a long night.
Updates to come…
ROCKIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Chance of storms, 82 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to LF
LF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Mets trade for another All-Star
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL