Game 90: Rockies at Nats

Jul 8, 2011, 7:27 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats take on the Rockies (and the rain) tonight at Nationals Park.

After their blown game against the Cubs last night, several Nationals players pointed out the importance of bouncing back strong tonight against the Rockies and putting that fiasco behind them. So the impetus is on John Lannan to put together a strong start. In that respect, the Nats are in luck: Lannan has posted a 1.92 ERA over his last eight outings, never allowing more than three runs during that span.

Lannan will be working with Wilson Ramos as his batterymate, with Ivan Rodriguez still sidelined by a strained oblique muscle. This is Ramos' fourth straight game behind the plate, and though he did start five consecutive games earlier this season, you've got to believe Davey Johnson would like to use someone else tomorrow or Sunday. Pudge is either going to need to prove he's healthy enough to play, or Jesus Flores is going to need to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse. [UPDATE AT 3:30 P.M. -- The Nats just announced they've placed Pudge on the 15-day DL and recalled Flores. Full story coming.]

The forecast tonight isn't pretty: There's a line of storms fast-approaching as we speak, though it is supposed to be dry around scheduled first pitch. More rain is expected later in the evening, so it could make for a long night.

Updates to come…

ROCKIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Chance of storms, 82 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
LF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Too bad about Pudge. Maybe Kid Flores will show enough to stick this time.GYFNG!!

2. Natsochist - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Cross-posted from the series preview thread:Mark – is there any place where we can receive weather updates on tonight's game? I've got tickets and plan to attend, but it was pouring outside my office window a moment ago, and as you referenced above, the skies don't look great.

3. Dave - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Pudge to the DL. Let's hope Jesus Flowers still has what he used to have before his injury.

4. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Lets win the series as I always call for, This time if we have a chance to sweep let's do it.When Pudge comes off the FL, Send Stairs packing

5. Bzl. - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Is it my imagination, or does Lannan attract rain delays?

6. JaneB - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:12 PM

The rain is biblical over here. Looking at the ipad app for weather, the probably radar track makes it looks like the stadium is in line for a long night indeed. I'm gonna watch from home tonight. We can take these guys. Everyone is tired, but Lannan has been terrific. GYFNG!

7. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM

LannEn scoffs at rain delays. Let's take (at least) two, NATS!!(And welcome back, Jesus!)

8. Waddu eye no - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Natsochist-1. Great name2. Weather.com can show you the Doppler map. It's what the team and grounds crew use in the "green room". Decent way to estimate, but I've seldom seen or heard timely notice from the team on any media/ web outlet. 3. Hope mark z can get the word out. If he can't , who can?

9. David Moore - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I would bet on the rainout. It could rain for hours. Anybody for a doubleheader tomorrow?

10. Sunderland - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM

If we were playing the Pirates this game would have been called off three hours ago. Every other opponent? We'll work to get it in no matter how much it inconveniences paying customers.

11. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Waddu eye no: yeah, but what does Bob's Bootleg Weather use? ;-)

12. Waddu eye no - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM

BtwIsn't it barbershop nite for the anthem? One of our fellow insiders ? If so- a friend of mine got rained out of an anthem gig but they were able to reschedule him. And the game he came back to sing was the one with a short delay followed by morse's walkoff HR

13. Tim - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:29 PM

@ Waddu Eye… I think you're right about the anthem. He posted that a couple of days ago.I think we could get Michele & Jane to sing the anthem… maybe after some Maalox with a bourbon chaser. :-)GYFNG!Go away rain!

14. Not Werth It - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM

July Showers bring Jesus Flowers. It would be nice to get this one in and not give the hurting rockies a night off to recooperate. Go grounds crew!Go Nats!

15. jeffwx - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Nix and Stairs for B.J. Upton

16. Nats Outsider - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I am sitting about two blocks from Nationals Park, and — for the moment at least — the rain has mostly stopped. The sky still looks threatening, but the downpour seems to have abated.

17. sparky - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM

I just read on a Rays blog that they are hoping to get a 43 year old LH overweight and rarely successful pinch hitter and a journeyman 4th outfielder in trade for BJ Upton.

18. jeffwx - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Marquis and Burnett for Josh Reddick.Red sox desperate for pitching.Nats have plenty of pitching in minors for next year..They can still be competitive without either and not worth keeping them for the slim possibility of getting a wild card berth.

19. Oldguy - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Gameday info: 202-675-6287. Press 5As of 4:40 game still on. Too early for cancel or late start.

20. jeffwx - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I saw the upton for Nix trade possibility on MLBtraderumors but thru in stairs so to make it fairer for Nats.

21. Nats Outsider - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM

BJ Upton? Can someone explain to me why the Nats need another .213 hitter? And if they got Upton, would that mean that Bernardina would go back to being a platoon player? I just don't see what sense this makes for the club.

22. Natsochist - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:45 PM

@Oldguy – thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.@Waddu – Glad you like it – I find it an appropriate handle for just about anyone who's followed the team since their return to DC.

23. jeffwx - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Heavy rain to move in w/in 10 mins.but a break between 6 and 8, then more waves coming thru.

24. Nats Outsider - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM

The rain is back, hard, and it has suddenly gotten *really* dark in the stadium area. The street lights have even snapped on. I think the odds have flipped over to rainout.

25. jeffwx - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM

You platoon Ankiel with Upton, while helping to make Werth low BA look better.

26. jeffwx - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM

FIND COVER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU ARE AT THE PARK

27. jeffwx - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:52 PM

LIGHTENING LIKELY

28. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:55 PM

jeffwx said… "You platoon Ankiel with Upton, while helping to make Werth low BA look better."Great idea!! Let's carry the idea one step further: We could turn Lannan into a designated pinch hitter, which will make Stairs look better.

29. JaneB - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:58 PM

waddu ey no…thanks for the reminder!SECTION 222! have a great anthem tonight! And a good time, too!

30. jeffwx - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:14 PM

It's critical the Nats figure out a way to make the Werth signing look good. Winning is overrated Put a couple hogs next to a pig, and the pig starts looking pretty good.Rain should stop w/in 1/2 hour…play ball for a little while

31. sjm308 - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:18 PM

No Rain, No Rain, No Rain hmmm didn't work for me in the 60s (woodstock didn't have rain dates) and looks like its not working now and I have laid off the wacky stuff for over 40 years now.Oh well, Go Nats!!

32. jeffwx - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM

And the trade wouldn't be fair if you didn't include Stairs. BTW, BJ is batting .234/320/416, 14 hrs, 48 rbis, 20 sb which would be pretty awesome for a Nats hitter. Nats aren't gonna get much more than that for what they can give away and for what the owners are willing to pay right now.

33. gonatsgo - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:23 PM

As of now , 3 of our starting pitchers have a better batting average than Matt Stairs. Desi and Werth are about even. Is there any reason at all why Desi should be pulled for Stairs? I haven't seen Werth pulled for a pinch hitter. It is completely inappropriate for Stairs to replace anyone other than a pitcher – and then, only a couple of our pitchers – most are better than he is. He should NEVER be put in again in a spot that is important. He should retire as of Sunday after the game. Just for the record – I know I am screaming into the wind and nothing is going to happen, but sometimes I just gotta' vent!

34. Nats Outsider - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Last weekend, my daughter and I went to the double header. We stayed in our (cheap) seats for the first game, but during the second game, we moved down to a much better location, in the back few rows of sec 129. Apparently, the people in the row right behind us had done the same thing, because *several* ushers and a supervisor came to evict them when the ticket holders arrived. They were neither friendly nor subtle about it. The ushers raised their voices and (I think) ejected the interlopers from Nationals Park. No one bothered us, but it made me think twice about doing the same thing again. I am a volunteer usher at some theaters in the DC area, and we were always taught to treat such incidents as mistakes. ("Excuse me, sir, could I have look at your tickets? Thanks. Oh, it looks like these are for the balcony. Let me show you to the right seats.") Sometimes (okay, rarely) they *are* mistakes, but we are trained not to cause an incident. That's not how the Nats Park ushers seem to behave.

35. Sunderland - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Outsider – I've sat in seats I don't belong in 100 times in Nats Town. Your interlopers must have done something else to warrant that treatment.

36. Nats Outsider - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:46 PM

They didn't do anything else that I saw, although they were already in their seat by the time we moved in (around the bottom of the first inning.) For all I knew, they had purchased those seats. In any event, the ushers didn't mention any other offense. Just get-up-those-seats-aren't-yours. My daughter admitted to cringing over the possibility that we were next.I dunno. I've moved down before too, tho not 100 times. But then, I've never been caught.

37. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM

38. Nats Outsider - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM

The "No Rain" chant seems to have worked. The rain has stopped near Nationals Park and the sky is much lighter. I can even see a couple of spots of blue.

39. Nats Outsider - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Anonymous said… "Stay the course Outsider, you're teaching your daughter well, never pay full price."Oh, it's much better than that, Anon!! **She** paid for the tickets; a Father's Day present.

40. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I was at the game Tuesday night against the Cubs we were sitting in seats that did not belong to us. An usher asked to see our tickets we said that they were not for here. He said you better getting moving and said we have people watching you(on the red porch there were sharpshooters because michelle was throwing out the first pitch) he got very angry at us immediately and was really rude. We went to another section and asked if we could sit there and he said sure. Not bad for only paying $5.

41. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Tim.there is not enough boubon or maalox on this planet to get me to sing. I would never punish nats fans with my horrible voice.

42. Morse Screwed Again - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Ethier replaces Victorino on NL All-Star roster

43. Grandstander - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Like everything else in life, it depends on the person. Some ushers run a tight ship, others don't care as long as you move for paying customers. I have an usher who knows me and go to mos games for $5, hence the name. I've only been asked to move during crowded games. Sweet deal.I'm fair weather fanning it tonight though. Good luck to all those braving the weather!

44. Tim - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I see CarGo leading off. He's got a hurt wrist. Bust him inside!Rox pitching has been hurtin'. Let's hack some gorse, as the sayin goes!

45. JaneB - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Michele, phew. I'm safe then. I can't sing either! But I'll drink bourbon and maalox with you anytime, ma'am.

46. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Is it wrong to wish for Ethier to suddenly get injured and placed on the 15-day DL? And hey, why not the other guy who beat out Morse, Todd Helton, we're even playing him tonight! Let's just see who's the better First Baseman, Mr. Hellton.Let's go Zimmerman!!

47. Anonymous - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Oops, it should be Helton.

48. NatinBeantown - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I hope Werth spends the whole AS break in Atlantic City, relaxes, and then comes back in the 2nd half and rakes.

49. baseballswami - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:35 PM

He's got a few bucks to spare in AC.What happened to John Lannan? He turned into fierce pitcher sometime between the beginning of the season and now. Did it start on June 1st when he beat the Phils? He is looking sharp! I like the early hitting – hope it continues.

50. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Can someone enplane this to me. When our pitcher hang sliders and curves the other team smashes them. When the other team does it our guys take a strike. I simply don't get it.

51. Unkyd - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I'm calling for an end to any trade talk, concerning LannEn!!! With Stras and JZ, the rotation for '12 looks solid at the 1,2&3 spots…

52. NatinBeantown - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM

53. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Mark @ 7:25 update says: "the Nats take a 1-0 lead, but it easily could have been more than that" and he's absolutely right — you might even change the 'could' to 'should'.Whether you use the older Thorn/Palmer or the newer (but steroid era) Tango, et al. run-expectancy tables, the average run production for a bases-loaded, no-outs scenario is greater than 2. And while I know that you can't generalize from a sample of one, I've noted in many, many games this season that the Nats are not producing the number of expected runs when they get multiple men on base with fewer than two outs.I don't have the time or the math/computer skills to do it, but it would be interesting to see what the Nats 2011 run-expectancy table would look like in comparison to the league average.

54. gonatsgo - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:50 PM

unkyd – I agree that LannEn needs to stay – I am looking forward to our 1) Zimmnn 2) Strassie 3) LannEn Awesome, with Clip and Store in the set-up and closer spots, too. Bernie making some good contact these days!

55. Gonat - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:58 PM

NatinBeantown said… So Harper went 0-4 with a K and a GIDP yesterday, and is sitting tonight (if they get the game in). Just one game, of course, but I'm appreciating the FO's strategy of giving him increasing sizes of humble pie. Whenever he gets to DC, he'll be ready. July 8, 2011 7:48 PM ______________________________Bryce Harper is already in Phoenix for the All Star Futures game.

56. I've done that... - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Dang. There's a reason they call it "chuck and duck, John.

57. FS - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM

WOW what happened to Lannan? He took a line drive right at his face. I hope he is okay. That looked scary.

58. Unkyd - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Rats.

59. Gonat - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Pudge-Kimball-Lannan. Some say it comes in 3's. Let's all hope John is OK.

60. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM

I think that got him right in the nose. He didn't look like he was hurt all that badly, surprisingly, on his way off the field. Man, that is gonna hurt for a while.

61. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Jeez. Went out to dinner with a friend, and came back to read this. Hope he's okay.

62. Gonat - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Tailor made double play ball there to Mattheus that is botched followed by a balk. Unreal.

63. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Give the fellas a little time to adjust… Desi got nailed too..

64. JaneB - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM

They are rattled. And who wouldn't be? Sending good thoughts to LannEn. Now we have to win the game for him. Easy for me to say. I'm just sitting around.I forget this isn't just fun and games.

65. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Anybody at the game, on twitter , have any info? Scary.

66. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Rattle THAT!

67. gonatsgo - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I kind of wish that Ankiel had gotten Balking Bob with that foul ball. Werth just crushed two pitches and got nothing to show for them. Good sign? Ramos!!!!!

68. baseballswami - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:23 AM

This will be a gut check for Matheus. You want to play in the big leagues? Step up, young man, your team needs you right now!

69. JaneB - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:23 AM

TV will have news faster than people in the stands will have.

70. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM

gonats, the Buffalo crushed his pitch. Werth hit a couple of balls harder than he has been. Which is good. I'm just sayin.

71. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Debbie Taylor's source in the clubhouse says LannEn is ok.

72. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Earlier convo: ushers n seats.. on occasion we slip to other seats… hard to beat breeze in 408… saw folks in 114 call usher & "tattle" on two folks who had sat down.. usher went & chased them out.. funny, they (the ushers) don't have such morals when they get some greenback… which I have seen many many times.

73. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Actually the Twitter is usually the fastest source. If anybody hears anything else, please post. Nice inning by Mattheus.

74. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Sec3,..why LannEn?

75. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:30 AM

report is no fracture, so far, from the clubhouse.

76. Gonat - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Sec 3, is Ramos the Buffalo or the Crusher? The guy needs a nickname that can stick.

77. gonatsgo - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Regarding seating "upgrades" – seems like you don't have much of a problem if you stay in the cheap seats and just seek shade or a better view. The closer you try to creep closer, the more testy they get. Unless it's after a rain delay – then you can pretty much do what you want.

78. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:32 AM

nationals7, you're new around these parts, ain't ya?Several weeks ago, Mark misspelled his name on the lineups, and John went on and beat the Phillies for the first time in his life. So we keep the convention alive as long as it works, upper-casing the E for emphasis.

79. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM

nationals7 — one day riggs wrote Lannan's name wrong on the lineup card as Lannen – he was in beast mode himself that game and so it's considered a good luck charm to call him that.

80. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM

On the broadcast just now, they said that Lannan is "okay" and that nothing is broken, so that's good news. I guess I can go back to my hostessing duties now.

81. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Sec3, tnx. Miss some threads sneaking down to better seats :-)

82. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Gonat, Ramos's teammates, or at least Bo Porter, call him the Buffalo. I kinda like FP's coinage: Wilson "Red Porch" Ramos.

83. masnstinks - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Lannan takes one to the face, Mattheus balks, Desi gets spiked, Danny fouls one off his foot. Is it Halloween? Kind of surprised they pinch hit for Mattheus. He looked like he was locking in.

84. Mark Zuckerman - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Sec3: To be accurate, I wasn't the one who misspelled Lannan's name. The Nats' OFFICIAL lineup card in the clubhouse misspelled it. That was the same day he beat the Phillies for the first time.

85. Gonat - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Anon at 8:33, bingo. It was to change his mojo on that start against Philly since he never beat them before so Riggles spelled his name incorrectly.

86. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Who is pitching the rest of the game, folks??

87. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Dang, scooped by sec3. On LannEn, I thought Riggleman misspelled it on the lineup card? Seriously. Mark would *never* do that. :-)

88. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:36 AM

hmmm. There's a lesson for you kids blogging at home: never trust my memory. Thank you, 8:33. I stand corrected. And apologies to Mark for the orthographic libel.

89. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Dang, now I'm scooped by Mark. Time to hang up my keyboard… ;-)

90. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Officially: John Lannan has "a nasal contusion" and is day-to-day.Does that make him a black-and-blue nose?

91. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:38 AM

NOT BURNETT

92. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Ouch, sec3. Okay, back to hostessing. Later.

93. gonatsgo - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Pitching by committee? Burnett? ouch.

94. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM

well, 1a, at least you weren't obliged to print a retraction.

95. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM

natsfan1a must be having a party. Burnett gives up a hit. Shocker!

96. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:43 AM

1a-.have fun!

97. baseballswami - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Danny is just soooo good. Who is pitching next?

98. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:47 AM

I love this site – blog – free for all- Folks are baseball fans- joy for me

99. Gonat - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:48 AM

8:36 p.m. — Here's the official update on Lannan, and it's encouraging: He's been diagnosed with a "nasal contusion." No fractures. The club is listing him as day-to-day. Bunch of people breathing a sigh of relief right now, I'm sure. Meanwhile, we go to the sixth, Nats still trailing 3-2, and Sean Burnett is in. 8:36 p.m. — Here's the official update on Lannan, and it's encouraging: He's been diagnosed with a "nasal contusion." No fractures. The club is listing him as day-to-day. Bunch of people breathing a sigh of relief right now, I'm sure. Meanwhile, we go to the sixth, Nats still trailing 3-2, and Sean Burnett is in.8:36 p.m. — Here's the official update on Lannan, and it's encouraging: He's been diagnosed with a "nasal contusion." No fractures. The club is listing him as day-to-day. Bunch of people breathing a sigh of relief right now, I'm sure. Meanwhile, we go to the sixth, Nats still trailing 3-2, and Sean Burnett is in. ____________________________Great news!!! With the All Star break, LannEn will have a long break and probably could get 10 to 11 days rest and pitch on the 18th or 19th versus the Astros.

100. baseballswami - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:51 AM

What the heck happened to the offense? Come on, boys, swing those bats!!! nationals7 — me too, I am alone watching the games and it makes me feel like I'm watching with friends. Is that just very pathetic? Werth getting very loud cheers for his hit! Nice looking swing, too. But with 2 outs and Ankiel up.

101. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:54 AM

I know Ankiel has had some hits since he has been off the dl, but he really likes to swing for the fences, doesn't he?

102. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Swami, absolutely!

103. JaneB - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM

jayson gets on base…and we don't get him home. Argh!One of my favorite Jim Riggleman moments, in fact, was when he misspelled LannEn and John finally finally beat the dragged Phillies.Anyone have any ideas why we never see Bixler anymore? He was coming through in the clutch, when he was allowed in.

104. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Burnett again. uh, oh.

105. Gonat - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Steve M. said… Knoxville Nat, yep, LANNEN on the Lineup card today, not Lannan….I hope we like this new player!!!! June 1, 2011 11:41 AM __________________________Here is where I first saw it. I checked Knoxville's post and he spelled his name Lannen which may have been a coincidence in an earlier post but it was John's WIN on June 1st where the legend of LannEn started.I don't know if Riggleman ever commented on it given superstitions. Anyone want to ask Jim now?

106. Nats Outsider - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Nationals7 said, "they (the ushers) don't have such morals when they get some greenback… which I have seen many many times"I've never seen that at the Nats, though I've certainly seen it elsewhere. In the sections where I like to move down to (behind the Nats' dugout), there are often two ushers, which would make it hard to tip one of them and, well, too visible to tip them both.

107. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Coffey's ready :-)

108. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Coffey's ready :-)

109. masnstinks - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Watching the game and hoping that John Lannan is really ok. After the events of last night, being behind in the game just doesn't seem as crucial as it usually does. Healthy people in the bleachers with their families and friends, cheering on their team — it's just all good. I love the Nats and the game of baseball. I hope we win, but if everyone goes home safely, we're good. That being said – if Sean Burnett could just find the strike zone again?

110. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Outsider- truly – I have seen it at every game I've attended this year.

111. FS - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:03 AM

What? Ty stole a base on Ramos? How is that possible?

112. gonatsgo - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:04 AM

And the inning is done! Now for some hitting! (Before the 9th inning if possible, please)

113. gonatsgo - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Watching the replays of Ramos hr tonight makes my heart hurt that he was forced to bunt last night. I am still stewing over he and Danny not getting a chance to swing away in that game.They both have some nice pop and have been known to be clutch.

114. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Stairs :(

115. JaneB - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:09 AM

It is like watching with friends. Friends who will commiserate with you when you say, "not Stairs!" I would have gone nuts in some games without you all. Though some would say I already was nuts.GYFNG!

116. JaneB - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Incredible. I am grateful to the Rockies manager for getting rid of Stairs!

117. baseballswami - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:13 AM

JaneB – Nats fans = Nuts!

118. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Well – that was awkward…….

119. gonatsgo - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:16 AM

JaneB, Swami — alcohol helps.

120. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:24 AM

If Tyler Clippard were twice his age I would want to marry him.

121. gonatsgo - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Oh, Zim – that was so close!!

122. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Now. We wait.

123. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:51 AM

Has Morse been dropping his back shoulder more than usual lately?

124. Unkyd - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:51 AM

HACK. THAT. GORSE…….HACK. THAT. GORSE……

125. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Phew!!

126. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Please not Stairs

127. nationals7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:55 AM

….. til tomorrow…

128. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:56 AM

That.Was.Pathetic.

129. baseballswami - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Ugh. What an ugly bottom 9. Today – one future hall of famer on the dl, one starting pitcher hit directly in the face, one promising reliever having shoulder surgery. A few more really bad at bats. Let's quickly go home before something else bad happens. Tomorrow is another day…

130. CBinDC - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Well I see Davy followed up last nights performance with another charmer ……wow here we go back to the bottom again …….how do you have bases loaded no outs and get just one run ????? WHY DOES JAYSON WERTH LOOK SO LOST ……..What REALLY has been the positive effect of Davy so far …..I can not see it ….so enlighten me please I really want to know what I am not seeing ???

131. FS - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:02 AM

WOW I know he is trying but this is beyond embarrassing for Werth.Anyways, glad to know that Lannan is okay.

132. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:02 AM

3 outs in 4 pitches. Just disgraceful. Davey Johnson is not getting it done. Jason Werth should be pinch hit for. Why is a guy batting .215 hitting? Because he gets millions a year? I am really sick of this team. Last nights 8 run lead blown will lead to us getting swept. SICK SICK SICK!!!

133. Grandstander - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:02 AM

I think tonight's loss was even worse than last night. Just pathetic baseball all around. Werth needs to go to AA to straighten himself out over the break. He is seriously lost at the plate. Now that the unseen stars in Nix, Morse and Espinosa are starting to cool off some, this team is being totally exposed.

134. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:04 AM

But we'll be back tomorrow. Grace, Yesterday's Futility Notwithstanding, Grows

135. JaneB - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:06 AM

CBinDC, the positive effect of Davey is this: there's a manager. When Riggs quit, there was none. He's a manager with at least a passing understanding of who is in the clubhouse, instead of someone from outside. It was nit a chosen move. It happened. We have to move on.

136. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:06 AM

CBinDC, Davey gets on the plane. Which is nice. So there's that.

137. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:08 AM

cbindc you nailed it. Davey is a joke. He is outmanaging himself. Was that a hit and run with Werth or did Bixler just have his head up his A—–? And if it was a hit and run, aren't you supposed to do that with someone who can hit?

138. JaneB - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Love that, Sec 3! Totally love it.GYFNG!

139. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:10 AM

No a H&R. Bixler, who is fast, saw the passed ball and took a shot. Unfortunately, it didn't get far, and neither did he.You *have* to make it if you do that.

140. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:10 AM

and the captcha for that: outwasThank you Master Yoda.

141. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM

*Not a hit and run…

142. CBinDC - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:12 AM

The culture of losing is not behind this team yet …..and this is again a point where the season can go to hell FAST……….just like 2005 against the Cubs where they blew a game they should have won and then went into the tank ……….history can repeat if you do not watch out ….BTW why now is Debbie Taylor only allowed to ask questions in the post game presser ????

143. JaneB - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:12 AM

To take from tonight: John LannEn will be fine. Sean did a good job. Reynolds messed with Davey and we didn't see Stairs get struck out.Tomorrow in another day.

144. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Thanks Sec 3. Than that mean Werthless and Bixler both screwed up. And then YES Werthless swung at that awful pitch. UGHHHHHH he is bad.

145. Unkyd - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Davey will be fine. Jayson will be fine.LannEn will be fine.We're not going back to the bottom.Sick of this vastly improved team? There are plenty others…Let the venting continue….. G'nite, Gracie….

146. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:14 AM

and for my second correction of the night: out Bixler was, so passed ball it was not, yes.

147. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:16 AM

10:13, it's not just that he swung at the last one, but that he didn't swing at the first fastball.

148. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:17 AM

unkyd. Not sick of this team. I luv this team. I'm frustrated. Definitely sick of Werth though.

149. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Gory, yeah. Face's not glass.

150. NatsLady - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Someone needs to tell Werth NOT to take the first pitch strike. He is giving away 1/3 of every AB when he does it. Drives me CRAZY. This one was unlucky. Not as bad as last night, no way, just a game like other losses we've had, nothing special. No errors, no walk-off homerun, a base running mistake, etc.Bullpen hung in there.Remember, we could be the Astros. In fact, we were the Astros. If I were DJ, I would say to Marquis, you are pitching eight innings, you are pitching eight innings, I don't care if they score 23 against you. Now get out there and kick butt.

151. Unkyd - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:30 AM

10:17…. Good. It certainly IS frustrating…Um…. Guilty confession….. I've kinda begun to look forward to the exploding heads, after these losses… Sorta predictable, like the couple of extended family members, who start in withe the snide snipeing, after the 4th of 5th glass of wine, at a holiday dinner… Absolutely NO offense intended, there… Just enjoying getting to know everyone :-)GYFNG, anyone?

152. dryw - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:43 AM

I for one am in for a little GYFNG. Tomorrow is another day, and it seems unlikely that another starting pitcher will have a strong performance shortened by a ball to the face. (Very glad John's wasn't as bad as it could have been!) We're still at .500 in July. We're still a much improved team over last year. (or any year)So, yeah….GYFNG!!!

153. Feel Wood - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:44 AM

"7:33 p.m. — Wow, Lannan has struck out three of the first six batters he's faced tonight. Not sure he's ever done that before. At any level, professional or otherwise."He has. 4/17/08 @ Mets. First inning: Reyes single, Church double, Wright lineout, Delgado K, Pagan K. Second inning: Clark K, Casanova K, Castillo groundout.Three of the first six, four of the first seven. He went on to strike out 11 in 6 innings pitched. The Nats ended up losing 3-2 in the 14th on a walk-off wild pitch by Joel Hanrahan.

154. dryw - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:44 AM

But, um…Jayson? Get out of your head, please.

155. FS - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Give me the good news. Purke signs with Nationals.If I am not mistaken, since last update, three more players have been signed by Nationals.

156. Dave - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Is that true? Has Purke signed? Is that why he was here?(Avoiding the post-game melee today. Y'all have fun.)

157. Mark Zuckerman - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:00 AM

FS and Dave: Purke was here tonight, sitting next to Rizzo in the front row and then touring the clubhouse postgame. But there's no indication he's signed yet. This isn't uncommon: The Nats have brought several draft picks to the park in recent years, giving them the grand tour, etc., in hopes of ultimately signing them. Purke probably won't make his decision until closer to the Aug. 15 deadline.

158. Dave - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Mark, I thought that might be the case. I got excited fir a moment, then figured this might be part of the Nats' sales job.

159. Grandstander - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:12 AM

It's part of their pitch. For what Purke will want, you can be 100% positive that one's going to the deadline.

160. Anonymous - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:48 AM

It's a good sign when a draftee visits the clubhouse during negotiations. Recall that Crow never even returned Bowden's phone calls in 2008.

161. m20832 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Well, today is another day and there's a ball game to watch and critique this eve. Glad LannEn is ok. Wicked shot to the nose. I had to shut my eyes for a minute there and say a little prayer for John. GYFNG!!!

162. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 10, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Here is a list of the 14 players. I have their Average without RISP followed by RISP average.Bernadina 280, 222Espinosa 230, 299Zimmerman 240, 273Nix 300, 208 Morse 310. 302Werth 217, 215Ramos 290, 177 Desmond 221, 231Stairs 189, 077Ankiel 257, 128Flores 200, 000Pudge 177, 289Cora 223, 263Bixler 184, 333Hairston 245, 270LaRoche 185, 140A few hit better with men on most hit worse. As FP says the pressure is on the pitcher then, but many of our batters don't know that. Werth has been up far and away the most with men on, and he bats no differently if someone is in scoring position or not.

163. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 10, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Big Cat and I talked during the game, and unlike many who think a hitting coach makes no difference, Big Cat and I disagreed with that. I trust his opinion as he played professional ball, and knows that coaches make a difference, when everyone is having a problem. If only one or two are than, the coaches will make little difference.Has anyone noticed how many ducks on the pond Werth has left. he has been up 15 times more often with runners in scoring position and has a tome less RBIs than Espinosa. Win tomorrow and we are still ,500 at all star break, not bad, but with timely hitting we would be way ahead.