Jul 8, 2011, 9:58 PM EDT
Kimball had been on the disabled list since June 10 with shoulder inflammation. He attempted to resume throwing this week but continued to complain of shoulder pain, so the Nationals sent him to New York specialist David Altchek for an enhanced MRI. That test revealed a torn rotator cuff; Altchek will perform the surgery sometime next week.
A 12th-round pick in 2006, Kimball was the first member of that draft class to play for the Nationals. The 25-year-old went 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA in 12 relief appearances, striking out 11 in 14 innings.
“He just got here, and he pitched well up here,” manager Davey Johnson said. “It’s an unfortunate injury. Hopefully he’ll be alright and recover. But that’s part of the game, injuries, and we’ve had our fair share.”
A team spokesman said Kimball would not be speaking to reporters today.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)