Jul 8, 2011, 9:58 PM EDT
Kimball had been on the disabled list since June 10 with shoulder inflammation. He attempted to resume throwing this week but continued to complain of shoulder pain, so the Nationals sent him to New York specialist David Altchek for an enhanced MRI. That test revealed a torn rotator cuff; Altchek will perform the surgery sometime next week.
A 12th-round pick in 2006, Kimball was the first member of that draft class to play for the Nationals. The 25-year-old went 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA in 12 relief appearances, striking out 11 in 14 innings.
“He just got here, and he pitched well up here,” manager Davey Johnson said. “It’s an unfortunate injury. Hopefully he’ll be alright and recover. But that’s part of the game, injuries, and we’ve had our fair share.”
A team spokesman said Kimball would not be speaking to reporters today.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups