Jul 8, 2011, 3:45 AM EDT
Rodriguez felt a pull on his right side during early workouts prior to the Nationals' game against the Cubs. He then aggravated the strain during batting practice and was quickly scratched from the starting lineup, storming off the field after slamming his bat to a bag of balls.
"It happens," he said. "It happened during batting practice, and what can you do? These things happen just like this, and it got me today."
The Nationals initially classified Rodriguez's removal from the lineup as "precautionary" and suggested he would be available to pinch-hit if needed. But the 39-year-old required treatment throughout the afternoon and evening and struggled to put his shirt on after the game.
Rodriguez will be re-evaluated tomorrow once he arrives at the ballpark, but he acknowledged the club can't afford to proceed for longRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals Arizona Fall League update
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nationals roster review: Kevin Frandsen
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists