Jul 8, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT
Updated at 6:08 p.m.
The club initially classified Rodriguez’s removal from the lineup as “precautionary” and suggested he would be available to pinch-hit if needed. But the 39-year-old required treatment throughout the afternoon and evening and struggled to put his shirt on after the game.
Rodriguez does believe he can avoid a long stint on the DL because he shut himself down as soon as he first felt the pull in his right side. He described the injury as “a mild” strain.
“When it happened to me, I stopped right away,” he said. “I didn’t continue playing. I talked to some other teammates that it happened
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels