Jul 9, 2011, 4:56 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis faces Ubaldo Jimenez tonight at Nationals Park.
For all that they've accomplished over the last month, the Nationals are in a bit of a precarious position this weekend. Having lost two straight (and seven of 12 since Davey Johnson took over as manager), they're back at the .500 mark. Another loss tonight to the Rockies would drop them below the break-even point heading into tomorrow's first-half finale.
So there is some amount of pressure on Jason Marquis, tonight's starter, to bounce back from his horrendous outing last Sunday against the Pirates, when he retired only four batters. His teammates will face a stiff challenges themselves in Ubaldo Jimenez, who has not come close to his dominant form of 2010 yet this season but has pitched well in recent outings.
I won't be covering either of the games this weekend. I'm on my way to Phoenix for the All-Star Game and will be reporting to you live from Chase Field tomorrow at the Futures Game (featuring Bryce Harper and Brad Peacock). Because of my flight schedule, I have to post this before lineups are posted, so if anyone out there would be kind enough to type them into the comments section, it would be much appreciated.
My colleague Chase Hughes will be covering tonight in my stead; you can find his work on CSNwashington.com, and I'll be sure to link to his articles once I arrive in Phoenix. Another colleague, Ryan O'Halloran, will have tomorrow's series finale for you all.
Until then, enjoy the game and the continuing discussion…
ROCKIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Clear, 88 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout