Jul 9, 2011, 4:56 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis faces Ubaldo Jimenez tonight at Nationals Park.
For all that they've accomplished over the last month, the Nationals are in a bit of a precarious position this weekend. Having lost two straight (and seven of 12 since Davey Johnson took over as manager), they're back at the .500 mark. Another loss tonight to the Rockies would drop them below the break-even point heading into tomorrow's first-half finale.
So there is some amount of pressure on Jason Marquis, tonight's starter, to bounce back from his horrendous outing last Sunday against the Pirates, when he retired only four batters. His teammates will face a stiff challenges themselves in Ubaldo Jimenez, who has not come close to his dominant form of 2010 yet this season but has pitched well in recent outings.
I won't be covering either of the games this weekend. I'm on my way to Phoenix for the All-Star Game and will be reporting to you live from Chase Field tomorrow at the Futures Game (featuring Bryce Harper and Brad Peacock). Because of my flight schedule, I have to post this before lineups are posted, so if anyone out there would be kind enough to type them into the comments section, it would be much appreciated.
My colleague Chase Hughes will be covering tonight in my stead; you can find his work on CSNwashington.com, and I'll be sure to link to his articles once I arrive in Phoenix. Another colleague, Ryan O'Halloran, will have tomorrow's series finale for you all.
Until then, enjoy the game and the continuing discussion…
ROCKIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Clear, 88 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts