Jul 9, 2011, 4:26 AM EDT
John Lannan departs the field after taking a line drive off his face.
The ball came screaming off Ty Wigginton’s bat, and in the millisecond that followed, the best John Lannan could do was raise his glove and hope to deflect the projectile that was making a beeline for his face.
Lannan didn’t get the glove all the way up, but he did manage to deflect the ball just enough to disperse some of its force before it smashed into the left side of his nose.
It may not have looked like much, but that slight deflection may have made all the difference in the world. Though Lannan had to rush off the field in the top of the fourth, blood dripping from his nose, the Nationals left-hander appeared to avoid serious injury. He may even make his next scheduled start coming out of the All-Star break.
That was easily the best news to come out of Friday night’s 3-2 loss to the Rockies, an otherwise frustrating ballgame for the Nationals that featured a couple more unsightly at-bats from Jayson Werth in crucial moments.
“It’s a manager’s worst nightmare,” Davey Johnson said. “We were very fortunate that there isn’t a lot of damage. That ball was smoked, and the good news is he got his glove up to deflect it off him, so it
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies