Jul 10, 2011, 3:33 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats need to win today to enter the All-Star break at .500.
I wrote a few days ago about the Nationals' penchant for winning one-run games, and how the law of averages made it near-impossible for them to continue winning those tight contests at that ridiculous rate. Well, it appears the law of averages has come down hard on South Capitol Street. After winning three straight one-run games over the Cubs, the Nats have now lost three straight one-run games to the Cubs and Rockies.
They'll hope to reverse the trend — or, at least, play a game decided by two or more runs — this afternoon in the first-half finale of the season. Jordan Zimmermann gets the start, hoping to bounce back from his one mildly sub-par outing in months (four runs in six innings).
Jhoulys Chacin, an emerging young right-hander himself, starts for the Rockies. Davey Johnson goes with his regular lineup, including the struggling Jayson Werth (hitting .157 with a .541 OPS since June 1) in the 6-hole.
I'm in Phoenix now for this week's All-Star festivities. My colleague Ryan O'Halloran will have coverage of today's game on CSNwashington.com, and I'll be sure to link to his articles. Check back here this evening for a live game thread from the All-Star Futures Game (featuring Bryce Harper and Brad Peacock)…
ROCKIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Sunny, 90 degrees, Wind 3 mph RF to LF
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Laynce Nix
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions