Jul 10, 2011, 11:50 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel’s homer helped lead the Nationals to a 2-0 win over the Rockies.
Their $126 million right fielder has a broken swing. Their franchise third baseman has played only 34 games. Their .235 team batting average is better than just three teams. And their manager quit amid a hot streak.
Yet, somehow, some way, the Nationals enter the All-Star break with a .500 record following their 2-0 win over the Rockies today at Nationals Park.
The Nationals, who broke a three-game losing streak, are 46-46, the best mark at the break since their inaugural season in Washington.
“Ending the first half on a good note was really key,” closer Drew Storen said after his 23rd save. “[At] .500 is not where we want to end up, but it’s a big step forward from where we were at the beginning of the year. It’s a stepping stone.”
Read Ryan O’Halloran’s full report on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game