Jul 10, 2011, 4:28 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa turns a fourth-inning double play during tonight’s loss.
These days you never quite know which Ubaldo Jimenez you’re going to get. Unfortunately for the Nationals on Saturday night, Ubaldo was good. Really good.
After going perfect through the first 4 1/3 innings, the Rockies’ ace finished with one earned run, eight strikeouts and only one walk in a 2-1 Colorado victory at Nationals Park. It was a performance that many in the Nationals’ clubhouse couldn’t help but acknowledge.
“He’s filthy, he’s one of the best pitchers in the league,” manager Davey Johnson said. “We’ve been swinging bats pretty good lately but he calmed us down quite a bit.”
Read Chase Hughes’ full account of tonight’s game on CSNwashington.com.
Also, read an update on John Lannan’s condition from Ryan O’Halloran.
And, here’s some thoughts from Cole Kimball about his pending rotator cuff surgery.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?