Jul 11, 2011, 9:19 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Balls will be flying out of Chase Field tonight during the Home Run Derby.
PHOENIX — The Home Run Derby has become a staple of the All-Star experience, a exhibition of raw power unlike anything else you'll see all season.
There's a bit of a new wrinkle to this year's event: One captain was chosen from each league (David Ortiz and Prince Fielder) and they were allowed to select three competitors apiece to join them in the Derby.
Ortiz chose three other players from the AL East: Red Sox teammate Adrian Gonzalez, the Yankees' Robinson Cano and the Blue Jays' Jose Bautista. Fielder took one of his teammates from the Brewers, Rickie Weeks, along with the Dodgers' Matt Kemp and the Cardinals' Matt Holliday.
I'll try to provide a few updates during the course of the Derby, but I'm also still working on my main All-Star piece about Tyler Clippard, Joel Hanrahan, Manny Acta and the circumstances that allowed them all to overcome adversity in 2009 with the Nationals to reach their first midsummer classic. Be sure to check the homepage later for that, and also be sure to tune into Comcast SportsNet at 6 p.m. Eastern to see my live report from outside Chase Field…
2011 HOME RUN DERBY
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 8 p.m.
Radio: ESPN-980 AM, XM 176
Weather: Dome (Outside: Partly cloudy, 97 degrees)
Prince Fielder (Mil)
Matt Kemp (LAD)
Rickie Weeks (Mil)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats to interview former manager of year for open job
- Report: Former Nats player to interview for open manager job
- Mets, Cubs aim to clinch NLCS berths as playoffs continue
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'