Jul 11, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Brad Peacock retired the side on nine pitches during yesterday's Futures Game.
UPDATE AT 3:00 P.M. — Nationals GM Mike Rizzo confirmed that Peacock has been promoted to Class AAA Syracuse. He'll make his debut there on Saturday.
PHOENIX — Standing along the two baselines yesterday afternoon at Chase Field were 48 of baseball's most-touted prospects. There were multiple No. 1 draft picks. High-priced international signees. A few guys who have already gotten a taste of the big leagues.
And then there was Brad Peacock, who perhaps boasted a resume as unimpressive as anyone else on the field yet perhaps put forth the most-dominant performance of anyone else in the All-Star Futures Game.
Peacock, a 23-year-old right-hander in the Nationals' farm system, faced three batters in the top of the second inning. He retired all three, not letting a single one hit the ball out of the infield. He needed all of nine pitches (seven strikes) to do this.
Not bad for a guy selected by the Nationals in the 41st round of the 2006 draft. Yes, the 41st round.
"Sometimes guys get caught up in their draft status, and that's not what it's about," said Tony Beasley, who manages Peacock at Class AARead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League