Jul 12, 2011, 11:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's the NL vs. the AL tonight in the Midsummer Classic from Chase Field.
PHOENIX — After a week of debate about who deserved and who didn't deserve to be named an All-Star, about who should and who shouldn't have made the trip to Phoenix and whether or not this game still means what Major League Baseball believes it should mean … it's time for the Midsummer Classic.
The NL, which finally snapped a string of 13 consecutive non-winning seasons last summer, will be going for its second straight victory. That would ensure home-field advantage for the World Series (not the representatives of the Padres, Astros, Cubs and Marlins care at all about that right now).
One new wrinkle to the game this season: The DH is being used in a National League park. Though there remains tons of support for traditional NL rules during the regular season (and even the postseason), there doesn't seem to be much reason for pitchers to hit in the All-Star Game.
I'm posting this early because I've got several events to attend this morning/afternoon, including Commissioner Bud Selig's annual session with the Baseball Writers' Association of America. I'll have a posting on that later today, and I'll have live updates throughout the game this evening right here…
2011 MLB ALL-STAR GAME
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 8:20 p.m.
Radio: ESPN-980 AM, XM 176
Weather: Dome (Outside: Mostly sunny, 101 degrees)
CF Curtis Granderson, NYY
SS Asdrubal Cabrera, Cle
1B Adrian Gonzalez, Bos
RF Jose Bautista, Tor
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers