Jul 12, 2011, 12:17 AM EDT
US Presswire photos
Tyler Clippard and Joel Hanrahan have each enjoyed career renaissances this season.
PHOENIX — It was the final week of June 2009, and the Washington Nationals were — to put it bluntly — a disaster.
Thirty games under .500. The bullpen, statistically, ranked as the worst in big-league history. The pitching coach had been fired, and the manager was probably going to be next.
In the clubhouse, Joel Hanrahan was miserable. The Nationals’ first-time closer boasted a 7.71 ERA, five blown saves and three losses. All around him, he saw fellow relievers getting demoted or released, and he new his time was coming as well.
“It was tough for me to go to the park sometimes,” he said. “I’d be sitting at my locker wondering: ‘Alright, they just sent down three guys. How am I still here? What’s next? Am I going to get sent down tomorrow? Am I going to get released tomorrow? When’s my day coming? … How am I still surviving this?'”
A few hours to the north in Syracuse, Tyler Clippard was wondering about his future as well. The right-hander had been following what was transpiring on the big club, especially in that wretched bullpen, and he
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return