Jul 13, 2011, 4:18 PM EST
The Nationals entered 2011 seemingly certain of several things. They knew they could count on Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche to produce. They knew their starting rotation would likely be their biggest problem-area. They knew Jim Riggleman could be counted on to manage this club until someone else told him he could no longer do it.
More than three months later, all the Nats know is that they really didn’t know at all what they were getting into this season. The first half produced surprise after surprise, most of them positive, some of them negative. It also produced a stunning managerial change, right in the middle of the club’s best stretch of baseball in six years.
Now, with the first half complete and the second half yet to begin, it seems a good time to run through the roster and evaluate everyone on an individual basis. It’s time to hand out midseason report cards…
WILSON RAMOS — B
The rookie catcher has been phenomenal behind the plate, ranking among the league leaders in gunning down would-be basestealers. Offensively, he’s come through with some clutch hits, though he’s struggled to maintain a level of consistency.
IVAN RODRIGUEZ — C+
Though he’s a shadow of his previous self at the plate, Pudge’s arm and game-calling skills remain as good as they’ve ever been. He’s also
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park