Jul 13, 2011, 4:18 PM EST
The Nationals entered 2011 seemingly certain of several things. They knew they could count on Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche to produce. They knew their starting rotation would likely be their biggest problem-area. They knew Jim Riggleman could be counted on to manage this club until someone else told him he could no longer do it.
More than three months later, all the Nats know is that they really didn’t know at all what they were getting into this season. The first half produced surprise after surprise, most of them positive, some of them negative. It also produced a stunning managerial change, right in the middle of the club’s best stretch of baseball in six years.
Now, with the first half complete and the second half yet to begin, it seems a good time to run through the roster and evaluate everyone on an individual basis. It’s time to hand out midseason report cards…
WILSON RAMOS — B
The rookie catcher has been phenomenal behind the plate, ranking among the league leaders in gunning down would-be basestealers. Offensively, he’s come through with some clutch hits, though he’s struggled to maintain a level of consistency.
IVAN RODRIGUEZ — C+
Though he’s a shadow of his previous self at the plate, Pudge’s arm and game-calling skills remain as good as they’ve ever been. He’s also
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal