Jul 13, 2011, 5:34 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Tyler Clippard threw three pitches and emerged with the win in the All-Star Game.
PHOENIX — Years from now, long after he hangs up his spikes and his goggles, Tyler Clippard will sit his grandchildren down and tell them about the night he won the All-Star Game.
And he won’t fabricate the story to make it sound like some Herculean performance on his part. He’ll tell the truth.
“I’m going to say I grooved an 0-2 heater to Beltre, and Hunter Pence threw him out at the plate and I vultured a win in my first All-Star Game,” Clippard said. “I don’t think that story gets any better.”
Well, perhaps it won’t rank alongside Reggie Jackson homering onto the roof at Tiger Stadium, Carl Hubbell striking out five future Hall of Famers in succession or Dave Parker throwing out two runners from the right-field corner. But Clippard’s name will forever be etched into history as the winning pitcher in the 82nd Major League Baseball All-Star game.
True, the Nationals reliever faced only one batter: Adrian Beltre. And true, he served up a sharp single to left to the Rangers slugger. But thanks to Hunter Pence’s spot-on throw to nail Jose Bautista at the
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss