Jul 13, 2011, 5:34 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Tyler Clippard threw three pitches and emerged with the win in the All-Star Game.
PHOENIX — Years from now, long after he hangs up his spikes and his goggles, Tyler Clippard will sit his grandchildren down and tell them about the night he won the All-Star Game.
And he won’t fabricate the story to make it sound like some Herculean performance on his part. He’ll tell the truth.
“I’m going to say I grooved an 0-2 heater to Beltre, and Hunter Pence threw him out at the plate and I vultured a win in my first All-Star Game,” Clippard said. “I don’t think that story gets any better.”
Well, perhaps it won’t rank alongside Reggie Jackson homering onto the roof at Tiger Stadium, Carl Hubbell striking out five future Hall of Famers in succession or Dave Parker throwing out two runners from the right-field corner. But Clippard’s name will forever be etched into history as the winning pitcher in the 82nd Major League Baseball All-Star game.
True, the Nationals reliever faced only one batter: Adrian Beltre. And true, he served up a sharp single to left to the Rangers slugger. But thanks to Hunter Pence’s spot-on throw to nail Jose Bautista at the
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Fister could be ready for season's first week
- Zimmermann leads Nats against Yankees' Sabathia
- Injuries highlight the importance of rotation depth
- Gio Gonzalez starts strong, but Astros top Nationals
- Bryce Harper repping new eye black company
- Gonzalez faces Astros under the lights in Viera
- Should Desmond be the Nationals' No. 2 hitter?
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp