Jul 15, 2011, 10:59 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Stephen Strasburg crossed another significant milepost in his rehabilitation from Tommy John surgery on Wednesday when he faced live hitters for the first time at the Nationals’ spring training complex in Viera, Fla.
Strasburg threw 45 pitches during a “live batting practice” session and reported no problems. He’s expected to throw another round on Monday, moving him one step closer to a potential return to the Nationals’ rotation before the end of the season.
General manager Mike Rizzo reiterated today that the club has not determined yet whether Strasburg will pitch in the majors in 2011, though he hasn’t ruled it out.
“I think it’s in play, yeah,” Rizzo said before the Nationals’ second-half opener against the Braves. “If his rehab progresses on schedule, there’s a chance he could get a major-league start in September.”
Before that can happen, Strasburg still needs to pitch in some simulated games in Florida, then begin a minor-league rehab
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats