Jul 15, 2011, 10:59 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Stephen Strasburg crossed another significant milepost in his rehabilitation from Tommy John surgery on Wednesday when he faced live hitters for the first time at the Nationals’ spring training complex in Viera, Fla.
Strasburg threw 45 pitches during a “live batting practice” session and reported no problems. He’s expected to throw another round on Monday, moving him one step closer to a potential return to the Nationals’ rotation before the end of the season.
General manager Mike Rizzo reiterated today that the club has not determined yet whether Strasburg will pitch in the majors in 2011, though he hasn’t ruled it out.
“I think it’s in play, yeah,” Rizzo said before the Nationals’ second-half opener against the Braves. “If his rehab progresses on schedule, there’s a chance he could get a major-league start in September.”
Before that can happen, Strasburg still needs to pitch in some simulated games in Florida, then begin a minor-league rehab
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today