Jul 15, 2011, 10:59 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Stephen Strasburg crossed another significant milepost in his rehabilitation from Tommy John surgery on Wednesday when he faced live hitters for the first time at the Nationals’ spring training complex in Viera, Fla.
Strasburg threw 45 pitches during a “live batting practice” session and reported no problems. He’s expected to throw another round on Monday, moving him one step closer to a potential return to the Nationals’ rotation before the end of the season.
General manager Mike Rizzo reiterated today that the club has not determined yet whether Strasburg will pitch in the majors in 2011, though he hasn’t ruled it out.
“I think it’s in play, yeah,” Rizzo said before the Nationals’ second-half opener against the Braves. “If his rehab progresses on schedule, there’s a chance he could get a major-league start in September.”
Before that can happen, Strasburg still needs to pitch in some simulated games in Florida, then begin a minor-league rehab
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September