Jul 15, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
Sunday, 1:35 p.m. — LHP Tom Gorzelanny (2-6, 3.94) vs. RHP Jair Jurrjens (12-3, 1.87)
TV: MASN, Ch. 50 Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM
The Nationals have gone 23-15 since June 1, their best prolonged stretch of baseball in quite some time, yet they've actually lost two games in the wild-card race. Why? Because the Braves have been better than anyone else in the NL over that same span, going 24-12.
Atlanta has been able to sustain such a torrid pace because of stellar pitching across the board. Right-hander Jair Jurrjens has enjoyed a breakthrough season, leading the league in wins (12) and ERA (1.87). Fellow young hurler Tommy Hanson has been nearly as impressive, going 10-4 with a 2.44 ERA and 109 strikeouts in 103 1/3 innings.
The real domination, though, has come out of a bullpen that boasts a 2.90 ERA (second-best in the majors) and a whole lotta power arms.Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres