Jul 16, 2011, 4:41 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond committed one of the Nationals’ five errors tonight.
ATLANTA — Eleven runs allowed on 13 hits. Nine runners left on base. Zero hits with men in scoring position. Oh, and five errors, matching a season high.
Safe to say the Nationals came out of the All-Star break a little flat?
“We were ahead 1-0 after our first half of the first, against a guy like that who has historically dominated our team,” insisted Ryan Zimmerman, citing the early run he and his teammates scored off Braves ace Tim Hudson.
Fair enough. At one point Friday night, the Nationals looked very much capable of winning this game.
Then the Braves came up to bat in the bottom of the first.
Two hours and 56 minutes of repugnant baseball later, the Nationals were on the wrong end of an 11-1 ballgame, an unsightly opening act to the second half of their season.
Were they flat? Tepid? Off their game? Victimized by a poor infield? Simply outplayed by a better opponent? It doesn’t really matter. The
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele