Jul 16, 2011, 4:41 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond committed one of the Nationals’ five errors tonight.
ATLANTA — Eleven runs allowed on 13 hits. Nine runners left on base. Zero hits with men in scoring position. Oh, and five errors, matching a season high.
Safe to say the Nationals came out of the All-Star break a little flat?
“We were ahead 1-0 after our first half of the first, against a guy like that who has historically dominated our team,” insisted Ryan Zimmerman, citing the early run he and his teammates scored off Braves ace Tim Hudson.
Fair enough. At one point Friday night, the Nationals looked very much capable of winning this game.
Then the Braves came up to bat in the bottom of the first.
Two hours and 56 minutes of repugnant baseball later, the Nationals were on the wrong end of an 11-1 ballgame, an unsightly opening act to the second half of their season.
Were they flat? Tepid? Off their game? Victimized by a poor infield? Simply outplayed by a better opponent? It doesn’t really matter. The
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)