Jul 16, 2011, 4:41 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond committed one of the Nationals’ five errors tonight.
ATLANTA — Eleven runs allowed on 13 hits. Nine runners left on base. Zero hits with men in scoring position. Oh, and five errors, matching a season high.
Safe to say the Nationals came out of the All-Star break a little flat?
“We were ahead 1-0 after our first half of the first, against a guy like that who has historically dominated our team,” insisted Ryan Zimmerman, citing the early run he and his teammates scored off Braves ace Tim Hudson.
Fair enough. At one point Friday night, the Nationals looked very much capable of winning this game.
Then the Braves came up to bat in the bottom of the first.
Two hours and 56 minutes of repugnant baseball later, the Nationals were on the wrong end of an 11-1 ballgame, an unsightly opening act to the second half of their season.
Were they flat? Tepid? Off their game? Victimized by a poor infield? Simply outplayed by a better opponent? It doesn’t really matter. The
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?