Jul 17, 2011, 4:30 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
John Lannan delivered his first two hits of the season during tonight’s win.
ATLANTA — Given what transpired here 24 hours earlier, the Nationals easily could have arrived back at Turner Field Saturday night and doubted their ability to play a clean ballgame against one of the NL’s toughest opponents.
To a man, though, players insisted Friday night’s 11-1 thrashing at the hands of the Braves was nothing to fret about, merely a one-time bump in the road.
That they then went out and proved it during a 5-2 victory over Atlanta speaks volumes about the confidence this team has in itself.
“There’s no doubt about it,” manager Davey Johnson said. “The character over here is unbelievable. You’re never as bad as you look when you lose, and especially when you lose like we did the other day. You just brush it off and you play the next day. We played an outstanding game.”
That they did. The Nationals saw John Lannan bounce back from a frightening moment eight days ago to toss 5 2/3 strong innings, not to mention drive in two runs with his first hit of the season. They saw
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The Baseball Show: Time to sign Harper to an extension?
- Mets Matt Harvey may be dealing with 'dead arm'
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week