Jul 17, 2011, 4:30 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
John Lannan delivered his first two hits of the season during tonight’s win.
ATLANTA — Given what transpired here 24 hours earlier, the Nationals easily could have arrived back at Turner Field Saturday night and doubted their ability to play a clean ballgame against one of the NL’s toughest opponents.
To a man, though, players insisted Friday night’s 11-1 thrashing at the hands of the Braves was nothing to fret about, merely a one-time bump in the road.
That they then went out and proved it during a 5-2 victory over Atlanta speaks volumes about the confidence this team has in itself.
“There’s no doubt about it,” manager Davey Johnson said. “The character over here is unbelievable. You’re never as bad as you look when you lose, and especially when you lose like we did the other day. You just brush it off and you play the next day. We played an outstanding game.”
That they did. The Nationals saw John Lannan bounce back from a frightening moment eight days ago to toss 5 2/3 strong innings, not to mention drive in two runs with his first hit of the season. They saw
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS