Jul 17, 2011, 3:01 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats have a chance to win the series this afternoon at Turner Field.
ATLANTA — Funny how much can change in only 24 hours. When the Nationals arrived at Turner Field yesterday, they were coming off an ugly loss and wondering whether they really could hang with the wild-card-leading Braves. Then they put together one of their best all-around performances in a while, winning 5-2 and putting themselves in a position to win the series today.
That's still no small task. Atlanta sends All-Star right-hander Jair Jurrjens (the league leader in wins and ERA) to the mound against a Nats lineup that has admittedly had trouble sustaining hot stretches this season. Laynce Nix is back in left field today, though he's been dropped to the No. 6 spot behind Jayson Werth. Jesus Flores also starts behind the plate, giving Wilson Ramos the day off.
Tom Gorzelanny gets the start for the Nationals. He hasn't won since May 7 (though some of that has been a product of poor run support) but he does get a favorable matchup against a Braves lineup that has hit only .210 (with a .619 OPS) against left-handers this season.
Updates to come. Oh, and for those curious, The B-52s did NOT close with "Love Shack" last night, opting instead for "Rock Lobster." Upset of the year…
NATIONALS at BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: MASN, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 11 mph RF to LF
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?