Game 95: Nats at Braves

Jul 17, 2011, 3:01 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats have a chance to win the series this afternoon at Turner Field.

ATLANTA — Funny how much can change in only 24 hours. When the Nationals arrived at Turner Field yesterday, they were coming off an ugly loss and wondering whether they really could hang with the wild-card-leading Braves. Then they put together one of their best all-around performances in a while, winning 5-2 and putting themselves in a position to win the series today.

That's still no small task. Atlanta sends All-Star right-hander Jair Jurrjens (the league leader in wins and ERA) to the mound against a Nats lineup that has admittedly had trouble sustaining hot stretches this season. Laynce Nix is back in left field today, though he's been dropped to the No. 6 spot behind Jayson Werth. Jesus Flores also starts behind the plate, giving Wilson Ramos the day off.

Tom Gorzelanny gets the start for the Nationals. He hasn't won since May 7 (though some of that has been a product of poor run support) but he does get a favorable matchup against a Braves lineup that has hit only .210 (with a .619 OPS) against left-handers this season.

Updates to come. Oh, and for those curious, The B-52s did NOT close with "Love Shack" last night, opting instead for "Rock Lobster." Upset of the year…

NATIONALS at BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: MASN, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 11 mph RF to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse

1. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Wow, Jesus Flores with as hot as Wilson Ramos was yesterday. I am sure part of that is Day game after a Night game. Hope that works well!!!!

2. sjm308 - Jul 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Gonat – this was probably discussed at the beginning of the series and we see it a bunch. I have a stupid question. Will it make that big a difference to Gorzo who is calling the pitches? I have to figure that this is the first time this pair have worked together, or am I wrong. It is nice to see Pudge playing what I think is a very active part in the dugout. I have also noticed that Jason Werth watches the game with great intent as well.

3. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM

sjm308, you are correct. This was pre-determined and Davey probably was tempted to change it if it wasn't a day game after a night game.ESPN had an interesting stat that Ramos has 4 multi-hit games already in July compared to 2 in June.I also agree with FP Santangelo about the sound of the ball off of Wilson Ramos bat is like no other sound made on the Nats team when he hits it on the middle of the barrel. I don't know if FP has heard Bryce Harper centering a pitch and the 2 of them will be playing together for a long time!!!!

4. natsfan1a - Jul 17, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Tommy, can you hear me? Okay, good. So, howzabout another curly w today? Let's go Nats!! (Hold 'em at 10,000!)

5. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Rizzo needs to hone his skills when it comes to signing free agents. Werth, Ankiel, Stairs and Laroche have been duds so far. Cora is a neutral while Nix and Hairston were decent signings.

6. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Yes, that "10,000" looks so nice there, let's leave it for another day or two.

7. sparky - Jul 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Yo Anon, that's what happens when you sign players. Some work out really well, some do not. LaRoche is hurt, not a dud. Maybe if Rizzo was smart enough to hire you and your crystal ball, he would have known LaRoche was going to get hurt. Ankiel is the best defensive outfielder we have, covers CF really well and has one of the best arms in all of MLB. And he's hitting .367 since coming off the DL July 1.

8. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Checking the schedule on the Nats' site, am I the only one who sees "printable schedule" and thinks there must be an unprintable version?

9. Knoxville Nat - Jul 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I'd have to say the jury should still be out on LaRoche given his injury. When he was in the lineup his defense was better than what I expected. I'll reserve judgment until we see him playing at 100%.

10. Dead horse - Jul 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Rizzo and free agents? Beats me.

11. I got your schedule here - Jul 17, 2011 at 4:30 PM

#&%$#@

12. natsfan1a - Jul 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM

^ I think that's for the road trip portion of the schedule… :-)

13. FS - Jul 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM

A win and couple of homers for Danny would be awesome right now.

14. NatsLady - Jul 17, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Good as Morse is at 1B, LaRoche was a magician! Unfortunately, playing hurt, he couldn't hit, and that's why he looked so bad. I look forward to having both LaRoche and Morse.

15. baseballswami - Jul 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM

You know – that was ok with me for the first inning against a fierce pitcher. A couple of people on – Bernie totally messing with his head – some contact. The guys made him work and maybe got him a little frustrated. I hope they keep up the pressure.

16. Will - Jul 17, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Oh dear. Miss you, Pudge.

17. NatsLady - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM

How tired is Ramos?

18. Will - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Wow. Really miss you, Pudge. That bag may have been stolen off Gorz, but the throw was AWFUL.

19. Grandstander - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

This is going to get ugly quick if Gorzo can't start throwing strikes.

20. NatsLady - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

oooo, not good on Gorzy. Flores didn't even come up to see his pitcher. And then a Wild Pitch??? Gorzy better CALM DOWN.

21. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Who's throwing worse, Gorzy or Flores?

22. baseballswami - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM

ok, so – Gorzelanny looking completely lost, Flores looking completely lost( he never even looked this bad as a rookie) and Jurrgens on the mound. Uh,oh. World Cup time for me!

23. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM

That's more like it….

24. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Let's go Desi!!!

25. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Day game blues

26. NatsLady - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Well, how do you like that? Gonna go to the gym so I can watch both games at once. Later, people.

27. Will - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM

WOW. GO GORZO.

28. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:36 PM

HackyHacky…?

29. BinM - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM

It looks like Gorzolanny has a 'lazy-arm'; He's dropped his regular arm-slot to near sidearm (now coming 2:30-8), and everything has flattened out, and has lost the strike zone as a result.

30. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Yay Jayson…master of consistency.

31. gonatsgo - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Well – that was interesting! Gorzo recovers in the second — takes on Brian McCann to score a run. Bernie messes with the pitcher when he is on base in the first , triples and scores his next time up. Wow. Of course, the whole Jayson Werth at bat looked like it usually does. Sigh…

32. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM

On a day to capitalize on Jurrjens and Morse and Werth can't put a bat on them.

33. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM

One screwy game… only the 3rd~~

34. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Well… Lets be efficient, BP….

35. BinM - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Here's exactly why DJ wants a couple of long-reliever/ 6th starters in the bullpen. I'm suprised they didn't go with Detwiler in this situation, as H-Rod will probably be good for less than 2IP – Here goes another bullpen burn.

36. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM

RISP….

37. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM

8 game hitting streak for Ian Desmond with a 2 RBI Double!!!! Impressive!

38. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:01 PM

My Boy!!!! Nice walk, earlier, too…

39. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM

The Wide-Slide pay-de-dues, from the The Gorsehacker ballet…

40. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Bobby Cox would have had Jurrjens out of there two hitters ago…

41. Sam - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I love this offensive outburst. It's not like it was unexpected, though. Jurrjens has pitched to a 1.87 ERA with a 3.11 FIP, thanks to a .256 BABIP (coming into the game). He's been awfully lucky this year. Swinging strike % is way down as well this year.

42. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Nice inning

43. BinM - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM

We can run when we want to, we can leave our cares behind; And if you don't run, and your friends don't run, then you're no friends of mine…

44. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM

So does Wang start in 5 days in the big leagues instead of at AAA?

45. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Captcha was ""KingH"…talking about Henry??

46. JaneB - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Found baseball at the beach. Phew! Go Bernie and Danny!So does this mean Wang comes up soon than later? And who is the guy with the semi rubber arm we don't care about, to the point we can send him out there any time, for any length of time? I don't see him in the BP.

47. JaneB - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Nice BinM!

48. gonatsgo - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Just an irrelevant question — was Balestar ever brought back like he was supposed to be " in a couple of days"? I am concerned about the bullpen right now – not necessarily the quality but the management. Bally can go a lot of pitches when he needs to.

49. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Mark'd said… Gonat, thanks for the ERA stat and Nice to see JZim moving on up.Nats face #1 today in Jurj and hopefully they show him the same rudeness they showed Hanson last night. July 17, 2011 11:39 AM __________________________Good call. They are lighting Jair up!!!! 6 earned runs so far. ERA from 1.87 to start the day to 2.28

50. gonatsgo - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Oh – and another thing – don't let down now – remember the July 7th game?

51. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Nats are 3-9 with RISP so far today.

52. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM

MPHrod looking good. I wonder if he comes out for another inning.

53. Will - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Werth starting to drive the ball. Got robbed there. Maybe he's about to come out of it…?

54. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Mark'd said… Gonat, thanks for the ERA stat and Nice to see JZim moving on up.Nats face #1 today in Jurj and hopefully they show him the same rudeness they showed Hanson last night. July 17, 2011 11:39 AM __________________________So long Jair after 5 innings. To tell you how good Jair Jurrjens has been this year, in the entire month of April he gave up 3 earned runs. In May he had 6 starts and gave up only 8 earned runs.

55. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:31 PM

TAke henry out.TAke henry outNLady

56. Stranded_in_Philly - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Why is Burnett still with the big league club?

57. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Should have Burnett for 5th instead of trying to get 3 from Henry. B not good w/ RISP. NLady Should have Burnett for 5th instead of trying to get 3 from Henry. B not good w/ RISP. NLady

58. Will - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

When Burnett came into the game, I knew the game would be tied or worse by the time he left. CUT THIS CLOWN.

59. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

gonatsgo said… Oh – and another thing – don't let down now – remember the July 7th game? July 17, 2011 3:16 PM_____________________________Umm, thanks for reminding us.

60. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

NLady – as you wish-take Sean out

61. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Should have left Henry in

62. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Burnett has to go on the DL so he can work back through a rehab assignment and see if he is salvageable.This guy is horrible, plain and simple. I can't believe he hasn't been pulled.

63. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Typed that before the homer. If we don't win, it's on DJ. NLady

64. JaneB - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I like Sean but he isn't on his game these last few months. Why isn't Davey going to get him? Are we so short on BP that we have to give this inning away?

65. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM

World Cup- holding their own

66. gonatsgo - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Gonat – my apologies for mentioning the previous blown lead. Sean Burnett the culprit once again? Most of the relievers — most, not all– are good. They are being used horribly.

67. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Gonat said… MPHrod looking good. I wonder if he comes out for another inning. July 17, 2011 3:19 _________________________Hindsight being 20/20, I guess on a hot Atlanta day maybe he shouldn't have come out for a 3rd inning. Still, the bullpen by committee was what was needed today and didn't need Burnett in a high pressure situation. 2 pitches and a tied game…then a walk and 2 singles and now the Nats are losing. Crazy.

68. dj in Fl. - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Could someone find Rizzo and tell him his major league roster is over due for attention. The roster has to many below average producers to maintain a break even record in the second half.

69. Will - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM

WHY IS BURNETT BATTING? I don't even care about the AB…it just means we're surrendering more runs in the bottom of the inning!

70. gonatsgo - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I think Rizzo is busy not signing contracts until the deadline. He MUST address the Matt Stairs situation and the Sean Burnett situation. This team plays it too close to the edge to have either player on the roster. 2 weeks to the trade deadline? Hairston back tomorrow? Do something now!

71. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Nats Insider Night Sweepstakes | nationals.com: Fan ForumNats Insider Night is back! The second Nats Insider Night will be held on Monday , August 22 when the Nationals play the Arizona … washington.nationals.mlb.com/wa… – Options

72. Sam - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Sean Burnett has had one good year in his career (2010). Every other year in the Major Leagues has been mediocre at best. Let's not pretend he was ever one of the best relief pitchers in the National League. This year's results are closer to the rest of his career than last year's. This is what we should expect going forward.

73. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Boy…. I go to walk the dog….. Was hoping they would sit Rod, after 30-some over 2…. Sure miss the old Burnett….any chance he gets it back?

74. baseballswami - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Checking in from world cup action (or lack thereof) — and OY! the nats! I may cry all over my keyboard.

75. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Holy crap. Burnett gets a base hit, then screws up running the bases.What is wrong with him? I mean, physically, what is wrong with him as a pitcher? He probably shouldn't have had to be on base running for himself, anyway.

76. Will - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM

77. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I don't believe what I just saw. Burnett, are you kidding me. Glad Espinosa picked it up. Nice 2 run HR!!!!

78. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM

And so, with Espi's home run, could it be possible that Burnett actually will vulture a win out of this game?

79. BinM - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM

H-Rod was close to toast but sadly, Burnett offered only more petrol to the fire, and continues to crap the bed in inherited-runner situations this year (14 of 29 allowed so far this year). We're playing to the Braves' strength at this point.

80. Will - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM

WAY TO GO, ESPY. But can we take the run we would have gotten and tack it on Burnett's ERA?

81. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Jurrjens didn't deserve a win there, no matter what else happens.Mark, I have a feeling you're gonna need a later flight. I hope your hotel has late check-in in Houston.

82. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Will said… I don't want to sound like a broken record, but after the pitching and the baserunning, Sean Burnett should not be allowed to board the flight to Houston. July 17, 2011 3:51 PM __________________________Cost Bernadina a hit and maybe Hairston can take Burnett's roster spot.

83. Joe Seamhead - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Way to go, Danny! Sean Burnett, you are the one that has got to get his Cherrios together.

84. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Vulture a win… great phrasing!!

85. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM

BinM: Business as Usual, eh? How 'bout a veggemite sammy with dat?

86. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Why isn't Coffey in the game?

87. gonatsgo - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I have one thing to say about this game — WTF?

88. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM

They don't have tomorrow off–somebody has to stay back today.

89. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Espi going for the cycle. I would not want to be the official scorer. NLadyEspi going for the cycle. I would not want to be the official scorer. NLady

90. Unkyd - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Thank you, Burnett!! WEIRD game….

91. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Good news is Heyward was spent as a PH early and done for the day.

92. Sam - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM

If Burnett gets DFAed, the alternatives are Balester, Gaudin, and Slaten (when he comes back). Slaten has actually been worse than Burnett – maybe that was an injury problem, who knows? The other two are righties, which would make Detwiler the LOOGY. That doesn't sound so terrible, I guess.

93. NatinBeantown - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Exhibit A in the case to allow the official scorer to select the winning pitcher, like they can when the starter doesn't make it through 5.

94. Cwj - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM

[Back home from visiting my parents in Colorado. Very fun time! Though I got a nasty sunburn and flying always scares me].Anyway, Burnett is now officially hurting the Nats this season. Even if he ends up with a vulture win, it seems clear something is wrong with him. HRodriguez should have been allowed to finish the inning. He does not give up home runs and he has huge strikeout potential. Sam- Burnett was pretty good in 2009 as well as 2010.Come on Nats lets get another big "W"!!Go Nats!

95. dj in Fl. - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:10 PM

USA Scores

96. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:10 PM

If Clip is in for the 7th, who is pitching the 8th?

97. sjm308 - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Really surprised to see Clip in the 7th. I believe Coffey has not pitched in this series. What is up with that? Thought Davey left HRod in too long but thats an easy thing to see after the fact. I guess he is still learning what our guys can do. Will he try and get 6 outs from Clippard? Hope not, we have 6 more road games and the bullpen has been used a bunch already.Go Nats!!

98. baseballswami - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Adventures on the basepaths today – by 2 of our pitchers? And then there was the bunt attempt by HRod, which was highly amusing. Lannan with 2 basehits last night. Really – what is going on? I know we were complaining about a lack of offense – but this is ridiculous – I don't think we were actually thinking of our pitchers at the time.

99. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM

sjm308 – tired of hearing that Davey is still learning – he was supposedly very well-versed on the team. Time to catch up.

100. DL in VA - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Ease off on Burnett (a little). He's not a vulture. He got 5 in a row out, if my count is correct, and dropped fly balls OFTEN screw up the baserunner, even those not named Burnett. I do share some of y'all's frustration with him though. Whenever he comes into the game, I cringe. I think he needs to get his confidence back to where it was in 2010. Notice how much better a pitcher he was after his at-bat. DL in VA

101. Cwj - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM

If for some reason hell froze over and I became manager of the Nats, here's my late inning bullpen:7th inning HRodriguez or Mattheus, 8th inning Clippard, 9th inning Storen.Mop up man- Burnett (he just doesn't have it this year)Trade bait- Coffey.

102. Sam - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM

@Cwj: Burnett had a 4.57 FIP in 2009. That's the definition of mediocre. .191 BABIP contributed to a 3.12 ERA. He had decent results, but he still pitched poorly.

103. Cwj - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Sjm308- Hmmm, I would leave in Clippard to pitch the 8th today. He's nearly un-hittable and has a rubber arm.Coffey scares me at times in close games…

104. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM

FWIW, I don't think Davey is still learning. I think he uses the bullpen differently than we're accustomed to seeing. I had a really bad feeling when I saw Burnett warming up, I will say. And the whole Detwiler thing has always baffled me. (And can "BP" stay "batting practice" please?)

105. Cwj - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Sam- Oh I know he was expected to regress this year but I didn't think he'd be this bad.I guess the opp. BABIP is catching up now.I thought he was just reaching his prime last year, apparently not…but he can still turn it around.

106. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:31 PM

@DL, by "vulture," I simply was referring to the situation: Burnett pulled a classic blown save/win. Although I'm frustrated with Burnett, I'm talking more about the meaninglessness of the win statistic fir pitchers. That could've been Rodriguez's win, and HRod was actually more effective than Burnett today. Not perfect, but better.

107. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Uh oh. If the Nats pull this out, then Clippard is the vulture.

108. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Well, to be fair, Burnett didn't deserve the win any more than Jurrjens.

109. gonatsgo - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Does anybody really deserve to get credit for a win today? On either team? Well – we asked for offense, didn't we? What a weird day.

110. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Jayson Werth- master of consistency

111. LoveDaNats - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

No confidence in Werth.

112. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

When was the last time Jayson Werth got a clutch hit?Morse gets one that gets Zim to 3rd and Werth rolls a softie….PATHETIC

113. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

got to be Coffey here, right?

114. baseballswami - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM

A one-run or tied game, Sean Burnett blowing it, Jayson Werth folding in a critical situation. Just another day for the Nats.

115. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM

@gonatsgo, I would say no pitcher on either team deserves a "win" today.

116. Joe Seamhead - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Arrrggghhh! Jason, yo're killing us.

117. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Apparently, Davey was hoping to save Mattheus today.With cause, apparently.

118. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Gonat You got it. Where does it say in Werthless contract that he can't swing at the first pitch. It's alway right down the middle. You gotta pinch hit there. John Lannan would have been a good choice. Werth has cost this team a lot of games this season. 'HE IS GOD AWFUL>

119. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM

USA!

120. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM

If I have to hear FP Tangelos say it's a "weird game" one more time, I'm gonna curse. Good teams win games, including "weird games," bad teams lose them, and others. Are the Nats turning into the Nats of "yesteryear?" Methinks the answer is "Yes."

121. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Who is FP Tangelos?

122. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Santangelo, and it is a weird game.

123. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM

*was.

124. Will - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM

It bears repeating…Sean Burnett making the flight to Houston tonight is tantamount to Rizzo giving up on the season.

125. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Good teams pick each.other up…. does Werth know this?

126. gonatsgo - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Yes, it * was.Yikes. Hope we keep this offense against the West. 8 runs in a game Jurrgens starts and we lose – I did not see that coming. Well – the loss, yes, the score, no.

127. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Oh well. Back under .500. In an extremely weird game. CAPTCHA was "nondenat." Server is watching the game.

128. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM

And the Nats lose another game they should have won. Not weird to me.

129. baseballswami - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Going to Houston with Burnett and Stairs will be criminal. I noticed Stairs had a jacket on in the dugout the whole game. Guess he really is just a coach or a cheerleader now and even he knows he won't play. He can't pitch, can he?

130. natsfan1a - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Definitely a weird, and frustrating, game. We lost our starter two innings in, and the bullpen was stretched. Both teams kept battling, but the Braves pulled it off. On to Houston and LA, with hopes to bounce back against some struggling teams.

131. pos anon - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM

This one is on DJ. He kept Clippard in too long.

132. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Uh, when you see a Rookie go clutch for a single and your $126 million man can't follow on what Zim and Morse did in the Top of the 9th, how can you expect anything else. A lot of heart by a lot of Nats players only to see what I feared, pushing too many of your key members of the bullpen (HRod and Clip)to go too long in terms of innings.

133. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Have I mentioned that I have *hated* the frakkin Braves since 1982?

134. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Mark,You must do an article on Werth's swing percentage on the first pitch, and his average when he is ahead in the count against pitchers: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=werthja01&year=2011&t=b#count. Not surprisingly, it is atrocious. Isn't this something the coaches should be talking to him about? I'm convinced his issues are not talent related, they are approach related.Thanks

135. nationals7 - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM

As well you should, Sec3

136. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Bixler optioned to Syracuse. Stairs remains on roster, presumably?

137. natsfan1a - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:15 PM

For the record, I despise every last one of their tomahawks, whether foam, inflated, or painted on the field (and that stupid chant, natch). How I wish I could pull my hat down far enough to not see the tomahawk chop. Oh wait, I'm not wearing a hat. Dang.

138. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I blame Davey Johnson more than I blame Burnett for the disaster in the 5th. Look at the stats. Burnett has been pathetic when he comes in with a lead and good when he comes in trailing. Why bring him with a lead. Lefty on lefty is not a reason. It is lefties hitting homers against him. There was no reason for him to come in. The numbers speak for them self. he has pitched like a bum when leading. The manager brings him in with a lead. I blame the manager. Play the numbers, Davey always did that before, why is he not now?As for Werth no clutch hits in well over a month in later innings. I guess if he wasn't getting paid so much I could care less. I guess he simply isn't the player that Rizzo thought he was and the Nats will suffer for it until the manager figures how to motivate him to do the right thing.I thought Stairs would go when Hairston comes back, but I think I would let Burnett go instead. This is becoming a broken record. He will say the same crap in the locker room. It is getting old. No reporter actually will ever just ask, what the hell are doing this for.

139. BinM - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM

It came down to who'd punk out first – Mattheus was the final victim. If anybody takes responsibility for this loss, DJ is front & center for his handling of the bullpen. Inserting HRod early & stretching him, then following with Burnett played badly, imo.

140. natsfan1a - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I could also use a little one-on-one time with the team shrink right about now, but I'm guessing he might be busy. ;-)

141. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM

MASN bizarrely leaves Burnett's base hit off the recap box score.

142. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I didn't watch Debbie Taylor softball Burnett again who always says "it was a bad pitch." Who forced you to pitch the bad pitch. Geez.

143. Gonat - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Dave said… Bixler optioned to Syracuse. Stairs remains on roster, presumably? July 17, 2011 5:14 PM _____________________________And you are surprised because….

144. LoveDaNats - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I'm usually sad or frustrated after a loss, but today I'm angry. This didn't have to end this way. Something is going on with Burnett and he hasn't pitched well for a month. Davey took a lovely 3 run lead and handed it to Sean for safe-keeping. Not a good strategy, dude.

145. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:33 PM

@Gonat, alas, I am not surprised that Stairs is still here. I don't I understand, but I'm not surprised.

146. sjm308 - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Ouch, Ouch, OuchThis one hurt – I also am not happy with the way Davey used the bullpen. He tells us he is going to use Detwiler in long relief but we don't see him in that role. HRod has done well but NOT FOR 3 INNINGS! If you don't trust Coffey, why is he here. I don't think he has done that poorly and he certainly would have been my choice in the 9th.Just screamed at the tv when Werth failed (again) in the 9th. This is really a game we should have won and I hate to see what happens tomorrow if we have to go to the pen early. Ouch, ouch, ouchgo nats!

147. Joe Seamhead - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM

The loss sucks, Butkus I'm not ready to jump off a bridge over it.Tom G. Going down hurt. Werth & Burnett burn. Morse not getting to the ball early in the Braves big inning really hurt. Atlanta is a very good team.We should have taken 2 out of 3, but it didn't work out, but I think that Houston has a very angry team coming in to play them tomorrow. We'll win both of the series against the Astros and L.A.

148. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Sean has pitched awful when ahead, how has now given up three homers that either tied the game or put the other team ahead, since Davey has been manager. I am more concerned that he hasn't noticed this problem. He is giving up homers to lefties, so why bring him in to face lefties?As far as I have heard no one has questioned Davey on this problem. (though it could be edited out.)BTW: the only thing I hate more than Burnett coming and screwing up 3 games in 2 weeks, is word verification to post a comment. That is really annoying.

149. m20832 - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

DJ may have handled the bullpen wrong. But he doesn't pitch and he doesn't hit. He relies on his well paid players to do that. Top of the ninth, take werthless out and put Marquis or JZimm in with Zimm on 3rd and Morse on first. Just so frustrated when our boys lose like this. Especially against NL East teams. On to Houston! GYFNG!!!

150. Mark'd - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM

You have to wonder if Stairs says anything to Bixler as he departs by taxi. Who am I kidding.

151. Mark'd - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM

M20832, excuse me but managers get paid well to know situations and this was a must win game. Davey didn't play it like that. Anyone know where Coffey was brewing?

152. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM

DJ doesn't pitch, but the numbers don't lie. Burnett has been terrible when he comes in with a lead, and excellent when he comes in when behind. So why bring him in when they are winning, it has not worked all year. Just look at the numbers. That is his fault. Not using the players how they could be effective. BTW: the only thing I hate more than Burnett coming and screwing up 3 games in 2 weeks, is word verification to post a comment. That is really annoying.

153. Dave - Jul 17, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Manassas Nats Fan said… "No reporter actually will ever just ask, what the hell are doing this for."That's the million dollar question, and I'd love to hear someone justify the answer.

154. JaneB - Jul 17, 2011 at 10:04 PM

it's surprising how Sean was in the nexus of offensive and defensive ways to win, that turned into another way to lose.But I am looking Davey's way today. I know the BP is tired after having to pick up Livo and Lannen. But putting Sean in there, and then not taking him out…a mistake. I have to say I would have used Clip for both innings, and I would have been wrong. Coffey? The Slaten replacement we should have had by now? Here we they? I realize he isn't on the hook for the Slaten replacement, but you get what I mean. Oy.In psychology, they know that some people can only have "so much" success in their lives. After tha point, they find ways to squander the money/ tank the job/piss off the boss and otherwise make sure the good things flowing to them go away. I'm wondering if these Nats are better from behind, rather than way out in front.And Werth. Sheesh, I feel bad for him. Even he knows he's the third out with two on and the game on the line. I wish they could find some respectable way to put him on the DL to rest his body and mind. But today I am starting to feel bad for the team. And the fans. And me. Oy.We need magic jelly beans on that flight so we can get a winning series again.

155. m20832 - Jul 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Mark and Manassas, I agree. DJ gets paid pretty darn well also (heckuva lot more than me!)to know and manage the players. I did not say he wasn't responsible. I didn't watch the postgame but if DJ says that it's on him again, which it was. Are all the games on him (of course they are, he's the Manager!)? If he brings in the correct players for the correct situation and they still blow it, was that game on him also? If he's putting way too much faith in his $126 million dollar man, is he to blame? Or is someone else behind the scenes saying he's got to play? Ok, this series is behind us. Now our boys need to go to Houston and LA and win…win…win!!GYFNG!!!

156. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 10:33 PM

That was a really weird game…

157. Anonymous - Jul 17, 2011 at 10:50 PM

We need to go back and have the pitcher bat 8th. This way we could put Werth at the 9 spot. Sean Burnett needs to go. This was not Tylers fault. Nobodys perfect. Soon Lannan will have a high BA than WERTHLESS!!!!!

158. NatsLady - Jul 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I'm sorry, but DJ completely mismanaged the bullpen in this one.1) You have a weak link in your bullpen, but he's a lefty. So put him in first, in a fresh inning. If he gives up a home run, it will probably be a solo home run, and you have max time to recover.2) You cannot expect 3 innings out of Henry. Period. You may wish for it, but he throws too hard, and he's not stretched out for it.3) You might be able to get 2 innings from Clip, but NOT when he just worked the night before. You can't just go by pitch counts. There is also the warmup and adrenaline of going into consecutive games.So, here is what I would have doneBurnett 3rd, 4th and 5th innings. He hasn't worked in a while. Let him be the one to take 3 innings.Henry 6th and 7th innings.Clip – 8th inning.Mattheus or Storen – 9th inning (depending on score).I agree with holding someone in reserve in case of extra innings (Coffey and whichever of Storen/Mattheus hasn't worked).Now Clipp is blown for the next couple of days, and so probably is Henry. So DJ got the WORST of all results, he overworked his key pitchers and we lost.Seriously, we should not score 8 or 9 runs and lose ballgames!!

159. Mark'd - Jul 17, 2011 at 11:25 PM

NatsLady, you really wrote it well. Worst is losing Clip for tomorrow.

160. jeffwx - Jul 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM

It's part of the plan. If Nats stay in race, they may have to pay Marquis and others. Like the play, the Producers, it' better to flop right now.It doesn't make sense for the Lerners to pay big esp. after Werth, esp. since they can't lease the land they own around the Park. They need to continue to trade major leaguers for prospects until they can maximize profits.DJ is the perfect man for the job right now. Incompetence is what is needed.

161. Mark'd - Jul 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM

If I were Davey, I have HenRod for the 3rd and 4th. I have Burnett for the 5th and 6th as the Nats had the lead and I have Coffey brewing in case of trouble with Burnett. Mattheus for the 7th, Clippard for the 8th and Storen for the 9th.Burnett was the freshest arm and needed a fresh inning where he would have had a 4 run lead.

162. NatsLady - Jul 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Mark'd, yeah, except that at the beginning of the 3rd we didn't have a 4-run lead, and without the crystal ball, we didn't know we were going to have one. So, you are set up for a lefty pitcher (Gorzy), you replace him with the lefty with the game tied. It's like Burnett is starting the game. Put it to him that way — Sean, you go as long as you can. No pressure, no runners in scoring position, it's early in the game, just get out there and pitch.

163. jeffwx - Jul 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

burnett is only good after he gives up the big hit. That's pretty clear. There was only one reason to bring in Burnett…only one reason to pitch H. Rod for 3 innings one reason to keep using Matt Stairway to the cellar…to stubbornly use the same lineup, staying with the same guys you still need to succeed to show if only to yourself that your decision to get, keep and stay with your guys because these men are Rizzo (and by default, DJ) men.

164. Anonymous - Jul 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Your all wrong on this pitching thing. Since everyone is rested from the all star game put in Jason Marquis. Then start Zimm today. You have to win when you have the opportunity. They blew it.