Jul 17, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
Updated at 5:43 p.m.
ATLANTA — Injured utilityman Jerry Hairston will join the Nationals in Houston tonight and be activated off the 15-day disabled list in time for tomorrow's series opener against the Astros, according to a club source.
To clear space on the roster for Hairston, the Nationals optioned infielder Brian Bixler to Class AAA Syracuse following today's 9-8 loss to the Braves. Bixler was hitting .196 with one extra-base hit in 45 games, but he had contributed to several recent victories with his baserunning.
Hairston hasn't played since June 29 in Anaheim, when he took a fastball from the Angels' Dan Haren off his right wrist, suffering a slight fracture in the process. The 35-year-old hoped to play through the injury, but it was severe enough to require a stint on the DL.
Hairston spent the last two nights on a rehab assignment with Class AA Harrisburg, where he went 1-for-6 with two walks while playing shortstop. The Nationals initially wanted him to play a third rehabRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year