Jul 19, 2011, 8:50 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Jordan Zimmermann faces J.A. Happ tonight at Minute Maid Park.
Though his team managed to scrape together five runs last night, Davey Johnson is making one significant tweak to tonight's lineup against the Astros: Danny Espinosa will lead off, with Ian Desmond bumped all the way up to the No. 2 slot.
The primary reason for this: J.A. Happ is starting for Houston, amazingly the first left-hander to start against the Nationals since Johnson took over as manager. And since Roger Bernadina doesn't fare all that well against lefties (career .225 average), it seems like a logical move to bump him down to the 7-hole and go instead with Espinosa (career .277 average vs. lefties).
But there's another byproduct of this: Desmond moving up to the No. 2 slot. He's fared much better up there in his career (slash line: .282/.319/.396) than he has when he's hit eighth (.236/.286/.344). Perhaps this switch might help get Desmond going.
Jordan Zimmermann makes his first start of the second half, as the countdown to his 160-inning limit begins. He enters tonight at 115 innings, so figure seven or eight more outings before he's shut down.
I'm not in Houston for this series, so please enjoy the game and conversation among yourselves…
NATIONALS at ASTROS
Where: Minute Maid Park
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Dome (Outside: 87 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from RF)
2B Danny Espinosa
SS Ian Desmond
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal