Jul 19, 2011, 2:03 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth is tagged out by catcher Carlos Corporan in the ninth inning.
Three thoughts to share in the wake of the Nationals' 5-2 victory over the Astros last night in Houston…
1. MARQUIS' STOCK GOES UP
From a competitive standpoint, the Nationals couldn't have gotten a better performance out of Jason Marquis than they did last night: eight innings of two-run ball, saving a bullpen that had been maxed out over the weekend in Atlanta.
From a long-term-planning standpoint, they couldn't have asked for anything more, either.
It's no secret each of Marquis' starts these days carries significant weight, with the July 31 trade deadline looming and scouts from across the majors chronicling his every move. Marquis' stock had perhaps taken a slight tumble before the All-Star break, especially when he was ravaged by the Pirates July 3 for seven runs in 1 1/3 innings.
But the veteran right-hander has gotten back on track his last two times out, authoring back-to-back quality starts. For the season, he's now 8-4 with a 3.92 ERA. His 12 quality starts rank second on theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?