Jul 19, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth is tagged out by catcher Carlos Corporan in the ninth inning.
Three thoughts to share in the wake of the Nationals' 5-2 victory over the Astros last night in Houston…
1. MARQUIS' STOCK GOES UP
From a competitive standpoint, the Nationals couldn't have gotten a better performance out of Jason Marquis than they did last night: eight innings of two-run ball, saving a bullpen that had been maxed out over the weekend in Atlanta.
From a long-term-planning standpoint, they couldn't have asked for anything more, either.
It's no secret each of Marquis' starts these days carries significant weight, with the July 31 trade deadline looming and scouts from across the majors chronicling his every move. Marquis' stock had perhaps taken a slight tumble before the All-Star break, especially when he was ravaged by the Pirates July 3 for seven runs in 1 1/3 innings.
But the veteran right-hander has gotten back on track his last two times out, authoring back-to-back quality starts. For the season, he's now 8-4 with a 3.92 ERA. His 12 quality starts rank second on theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy