Game 98: Nats at Astros

Jul 20, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Livan Hernandez faces Brett Myers in today's series finale at Minute Maid Park.

Remember that remarkable run the Nationals went on in early-to-mid June? You know, when they won 12 of 13 games, seemingly all of them by one run? Well, they've fallen back into a more consistent pattern since then. Basically, they win a game or two, then they lose a game or two.

Indeed, since June 17, the Nats have been no better than two games over .500, nor have they been worse than two games under .500. Consistent mediocrity, I guess you could call it. Which is still a significant improvement from years past, of course.

Today, the Nationals try to get back to the break-even point yet again, needing a win over the Astros to take this series in Houston. Livan Hernandez, who went only four innings in his last start and boasts a 5.27 ERA in his last five outings, needs to get himself back on track. Veteran Brett Myers will face a Nats lineup that is without Ian Desmond or Laynce Nix (both getting a day off to rest nagging ailments).

As you know, I haven't been in Houston for this series. Enjoy the weekday matinee and the back-and-forth conversation as always…

NATIONALS at ASTROS
Where: Minute Maid Park
Gametime: 2:05 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Dome (Outside: 91 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from RF)

STARTING LINEUPS
LF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse

1. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I hope it doesn't mess with the Shark's head too much to be flipped between left and center like this. There really are differences in how you play them, for most guys.

2. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Does Davey have a schedule of when guys get days off (Desmond, in this case), or is he just playing it by feel, day games after night games?

3. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I know, "nagging ailments," but it's late July, everybody has nagging ailments.

4. SCNatsFan - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:49 PM

For a .500 team this team shows absolutely no ability to hit in the clutch. We should have put the game away early last night like soooo many other nights. I guess this is one of the reasons we signed Werth but that isn't panning out (obviously); someone at an early age told Jason 'a hit is as good as a walk' and he has never forgot that, it seems like that is his swing thought as he either walks, strikes out or weakly pulls a breaking ball.

5. Not Werth It - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Today would be a really good day for Good Livo to show up again. Considering today's 5-8 hitters, we're not gonna win this one if Bad Livo takes the mound for a third straight time.Nats Win 3-1, with Morse going deep again.

6. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Important for the Nats to win this game. .500 teams (which I consider good, not mediocre) should beat teams like the Astros two-out-of-three while losing to the good teams by the same ratio. There won't be enough games in the season where the Nats will beat the elite teams an extra time to make up for games like Tuesday.If the Nats trade three or four of their veterans, then 76-78 wins seems about right. But–and this is just a hunch–if Tom Milone and Brad Peacock replace Livan and Marquis (and if they trade Desmond, move Desi to short and bring up Stephen Lombardozzi), the kids could provide enough ooomph to get to 80-82 wins.But really, we're just playing out the string until 2012 when Strasburg, Zimmermann, Lannan, and perhaps Milone and Peacock fill out the rotation along with a healthy Adam LaRoche at first, Ryan Zimmerman at third and a sane and sober Jayson Werth in right.If Milone & Peacock are the real deal, that's a 87-90 win team.And I'm glad Harper is struggling in Double-A. He needs a helping of humble pie, and then *BANG* he'll start whacking the ball. And after all, he's 18 playing against 24-year-olds. Farid

7. Jenn Jenson - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Hey Mark, Thanks for updating the feed to Nationals Fangirl. I appreciate it. You're one of my best referrers!Jenn

8. natsfan1a - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Another vote for Good Livo today (and carrying over from the last post): Speaking of PBP, I'll get to watch today's game in real-time (yay!), which won't be the case on Friday or Saturday (we interrupt this post for a statement regarding my platform: the games are too dang late). Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, we need Good Livo on the mound and some hits with RISP in the top half of innings. (Feel free to strand 'em in the bottom half – if you even get any base runners at all, which you shouldn't feel obligated to do.) Then, a curly w and series win in the books and off to LaLa Land and an off day. 'kay thanks.

9. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM

10. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Rizzo had better be doing more than just sitting around and fielding calls right now, he ahd better be making them too. This passive tone he gives out — never actively shopping anyone, only listening — is beyond annoying. This club has players that should be in demand and he should be trying to make deals to garb some players from other organizations that can help going forward.dfh21

11. Knoxville Nat - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Sec 3…..I think the day off for Desmond and Nix is more related to tomorrow being an off day gives both of them a 2 day period to rest and hopefully heal some from whatever nags them. Now if Werth would just go and heal hisproblem(s) for a day or two and comeback the way he was in Philly, maybe we could see why Rizzo committed so much money to one contract. I do not understand DJ's stubborn desire to bat this guy 5th while he continues to struggle day in and day out.

12. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Dfh, I don't know, but I assume he is calling around after players he is interested in. Who announces that in the press? Desperate teams with no bargaining leverage, mainly.

13. Unkyd - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Farid. What would you expect to get, for Desi, in a trade? Isn't he worth at least twice as much to us as anyone else? You're the most (seemingly) reasonable of those calling for him to be gone, but seriously, I just don't see a more prudent option option than playing him every day, 'til at least this time next year. The odds seem even, between him being a .240 hitter, and being .290, or better. I can't stop scratching my head, over the apparent willingness to give up on a player who is quite serviceable now, and has enormous upside…

14. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM

15. Harper_ROY_2012 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:44 PM

It will be interesting to see how the Astros phenom Altuve does against Livo!

16. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Sec3 — I hear you. Who knows what is really going on. But let's be clear about who are talking about. This is Mike Rizzo, who either was too foolish to move Dunn at the deadline last year or who lacked the gravitas in his own organization to talk his bosses into making the move. All last sumemr he assured the world that he was not shopping Dunn, only listening to offers — he said he would have to be overwhelmed to move the guy (which made zero sense). Whatever the strategy was behind closed doors versus what Rizzo said publicly last summer, I do not know, but I know that the strategy did not work. Rizzo blew it in a big way while holding one of the most valuable guys on the market. I think I am not being too hard on the guy now when I ask to see some aggressiveness from him in this market. dfh21

17. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Almost by definition .500 in baseball is mediocre, which means average. To say they are good is stretching it, but they are definitely improved over the last two seasons and competitive…

18. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I hope Werth gets a refresher course on how to run the bases. Monday night he tries to fake an advance to home and draw a erroned throw; the only thing he drew was being thrown out at third. Last night he doesn't advance on a WP, and ends up as the first out in a DP when he should have been standing on third. And who knows, maybe he would have ended up scoring on Bernadina's 4-3 out; which would have tied the game in the 7th.

19. Dave - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Somebody at 12:40 posted something about switching to the Pirates–presumably because the Nats are only very much improved over last year, not leading their division.If you wanted a dictionary illustration of a front-runner, that's it.

20. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Knoxville, I think I do understand it. I don't like it, but I can see why. Simply, it's too soon to write off $128,000,000.Werth seems to me to have lost the press, as well as the fans. That makes me think he is, how to say this, an intense personality. Anybody would be cranky, going thru a patch like he is, but unlike us, the media get in the same room, and talk with him, or try to. And these same guys make fun of his failures, which makes me think he is not exactly Dale Carnagie, if you catch my drift.Now, I am talking thru my hat here, I know, but if I am right, and he is an Alpha Hotel, this contract will be a disaster of Albert Belle proportions.I really hope I am wrong.

21. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Unkynd — this enormous upside for Desmond is overstated. You know that I am no big fan of the guy's game, but objectively, Desmond has never dominated at any level either with the bat or with the glove and he's not super young either. He might turn out to be a high quality SS in the bigs, but I think that expectations that he is verging on some big breakout are not supported by the guy's history. He has never hit for pwoer and never been a good OBP guy, he has had one season where he raked, in 2009, and since then he's been hovering at his career minor league level of a .690 OPS kind of guy and with a less than dead-stop reliable glove. Right now, he's much more likely to be a .240 guy than a .290 guy, based upon a failry large sample size as an everyday over the last season and a half in the bigs. And in 2012 there are all kinds of SS options that will be available — stars (Reys and Rollins), all glove no hit guys (Wilson), in betweeners (Furcal, Scutaro, Gonzalez), so it is not like the landscape will be devoid of SS options in 2012.dfh21

22. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Werth's play this season is precisely why the Nationals are mediocre. His lack of production has cost them too many games to speak of. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about it. Stupidly, the manager continues to bat him 5th. This is what you call stupid!

23. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM

For a .500 team this team shows absolutely no ability to hit in the clutch.That's not actually true. The Nats rank 7th overall (of 30 teams) in MLB for that. (See http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=3&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011)However, please note that the number tells you that they hit better than their average in the clutch. Since their overall overage is so low, this isn't great — but it *does* say that they *do* hit better than their average in the clutch.

24. Kevin Rusch, Section406 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Ya know, for Desmond, his career numbers in the majors are 255/295/379. For a guy with plus defense, which he now has, is that so awful? I really think that with the pitching improvements coming, the team should just pursue a leadoff/CF guy and spend some time late in the season getting a good look at Lombardozzi, Marrero, et al. I'd like this month to get some idea of how good Marrero might be, since I'm sure we're getting interest in Michael Morse. (And don't get me wrong, I have a man-crush on the Beast, but I can't shake the feeling we're riding his career year.)

25. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I don't see that we are just playing out the string at all. It's too early to write off any tea, even the nats. This team is capable of going on a tear.The mostly younger/inexperienced guys also need to practice winning and playing out a whole season so that they are ready to do it in the future. You can't phone in a good chunk of the season. I see the the Stros have a new guy today — seems like every new guy hits a home run in his debut these days. Hope not. Hoping for Good Livo and some offense – and a bullpen that doesn't leak.

26. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM

dfh, I know you, among others, would have preferred a trade to the draft picks, and maybe that would have been better. But even if it wasn't the best option in hindsight, it wasn't foolish.

27. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Dave,I know the Nats are going to have another win streak. I just hope the don't have a loosing streak before that happens.The Pirates record is virtually the same as the Nats. They just don't have the Braves or Phillies in their division.

28. gonatsgo - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Day game today? Will have to follow at work on the computer and do it low key. Please post updates if you can watch live! Lunch now but won't be able to read anything long -winded this afternoon. Interesting line up. When does Werth get a day off? on MM — don't know if this will be his career year – maybe just a late bloomer and a guy who never really got a chance before? In any case – fun to watch him hit!

29. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Anonymous said… If "Consistent mediocrity" is all we have to look forward to here, I'm going to start following the Pirates! At least they're making their season really interesting and fun to watch on MLB TV!Great idea! Go watch the Pirates. Please. Even better — take your comments over to their boards, too, while you're at it.The rest of us realize that for a team that very recently lost 100+ games two years in a row — to win 69 the next year (second largest improvement in baseball) and to flirt with .500 the year after that is a very good sign. All the more so considering that the team's core is stacked with youngsters who are not yet 27 years old.All the more so that they are doing it without Strasburg, without LaRoche, and with Ryan Z missing a 1/3 of a season.

30. JD - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Sec3, The Werth contract was doomed to be a colossal disaster before the ink dried on that agreement and every sensible analyst said so; we here called them anti National media and biased. What I didn't anticipate is the disaster happening so soon (and there is a strong chance that this will still be reversed). BTW; the Desmond discussion has gotten too silly and nonobjective. Let's be fair; the guy is just about the best defensive shortstop in baseball today and if you don't agree you haven't been paying attention.

31. Pirate fans - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Consistent mediocrity? We used to dream of consistent mediocrity. Would've been like a pennant to us.

32. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I am confused I thought 106.7 The Fan didn't do day games?GYFNG

33. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:16 PM

dfh — give it a break with the Rizzo bashing already.This is Mike Rizzo, who either was too foolish to move Dunn at the deadline last year or…It was his walk year. It seems likely that Rizzo was getting diddly squat in offers. Let's not forget that Dunn was awful in the field, awful at baserunning, and struck out 199 times. Since he was a Type A free agent, he knew he'd get some good draft picks.So, it was a pretty good move. In hindsight, it looks even better.And that's what you're bashing him over?

34. JD - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Pirate fans, You had dreams? luxury !! we were too busy losing to have dreams.

35. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Desomond does have his defense going for him but his bat isn't their. With what Espinoso has shown at second this year who's to say he can't be just as good at SS, but with better offensive numbers.Then bring in a guy with a weaker arm but with a more offensive demeanor to play second.

36. JD - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM

37. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM

38. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM

JD said…Sec3,The Werth contract was doomed to be a colossal disaster before the ink dried on that agreement and every sensible analyst said soThey did, but because he was overpaid and unlikely to reproduce his Philly production here, not because he was a clubhouse problem when things were not going well for him, or that he'd hit .215. That's what I'm worried about–he's untradable, practically unbenchable, and if he drags them down with him, worst case: they won't recover for a decade. I didn't think much of the idea myself at the time, but I figured we had to give it a chance to surprise us before we started pissing and moaning about it.

39. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM

DC Wonk — It is not bashing to call it like it is. Rizzo either would not trade Dunn (he did in fact say on many occasions that he was not actively trying to trade the guy and that he'd have to be knocked over with great value to move him in any event — I guess they would have really finished even laster without Dunn) or he could not convince Stan and the Lerners to make the trade (as has been rumored in the Post and other places). Why they held the guy, no one really knows, but some notion that there was no value on the market for the 40 HR hitting slugger on a last place club in his walk year does not pass the laugh test — and I think Kenny Williams in Chicago might say he offered a lot. And you are flat out wrong on the Type A status being known when they let Dunn stay on the roster on August 1, 2010. Elias does not come out with that info until after the season and it turned out that Dunn barely made A, he could have been a Type B. Rizzo got lucky.dfh21

40. F. Lopez - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Then bring in a guy with a weaker arm but with a more offensive demeanor to play second. I got yer offensive demeanor right here…

41. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Sec 3, My Sofa said…They did, but because he was overpaid and unlikely to reproduce his Philly production here, not because he was a clubhouse problem when things were not going well for him, or that he'd hit .215. That's what I'm worried about–he's untradable, practically unbenchable, and if he drags them down with him, worst case: they won't recover for a decade. what can you do? It is what it is. No one had an idea he'd be this piss poor. Until he can undo the funk in his head, this will be what you get with him. Davey Johnson and the Nationals can't continue to baby him. And damn sure Davey can't continue to bat him 5TH. How freaking smart do you have to be to realize that Werth is killing them in the 5th spot?

42. Wally - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM

JD said… A DC WONK, You may be right but the criticism (mine at least) is based on the assumption that we could have had Daniel Hudson for Adam Dunn and if this is accurate then it was clearly a mistake not to pull the trigger last July (IMHO).Agree, with a 'But'. Almost all mainstream, analyst-types did not predict Hudson rising to his current level. Not sure whether it was a tick up in velo or a third pitch, but I suspect Rizzo fell in that camp, since it didn't seem like he wanted him.And, there is always Boz' belated story that Rizzo was overruled by kasten/Lerners on Dunn for E. Jackson (glad that one didn't happen).And even though I was in favor of the Hudson trade at the time, I think things worked out pretty well – two picks, one of which was Meyer.

43. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

DCWonk/dfh21 – Elias has a running tally going and it is predictable on the ratings on August 1 unless the numbers are borderline. Dunn was firmly a Type A on July 31st last year and fell back some. It is always a gamble and it turned out good for the Nats. When we see what happens with Meyer and Goodwin we can determine the rest.http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/elias-rankings-update-1.html

44. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Unterp, I'd prefer they got him out of there altogether, for his own good, at this point–he's become a danger to himself and others on the bases, when he gets on, which isn't much. But since I brought it up, I will say that this one bad year, bad as it is, is not the last word on a seven-year contract. If next year, when they *should be contending*, is like this, then we're all doomed. Or something.

45. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

FWIW, as was discussed yesterday Jason Marquis using the Elias 2 year average is not rated due to his 2010.

46. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I wonder if Livo is going to plunk Carlos Lee in retaliation for that unitentional / intentional HB on Morse in the 9th last night?

47. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

This year, he's not costing them a post-season — if he were doing C+ work, they'd be about five games back of the wild card instead of nine, probably. Next year. So do whatever it takes to get him right, now. If anyone can figure out what that it. Because they need him to be right.

48. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM

That was the best way with the fewest amount of pitches to get the best bat off the plate, and on to the ever struggling Werth.

49. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

what that *is.and the captcha was "bilable" – guess I'd better get back to work.

50. SCNatsFan - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Sec 3, I agree that the worrisome thing about Werth isn't this year and isn't year 7, its being dragged down for 7 years and then some because of an anchor. I liked the signing and how it made people stand up and notice this destination; no one could have imagined it would go this bad this fast. Lets hope Werth gets his head together and gets on board with the plan of becoming competitive.

51. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Love the day games since I stay off the computer generally at night!This team is so stuck with Werth that unless Davey gets bold and sits his a$$, we have to hope for the best.How's about Hairston last night! Sort of surprised that Davey didn't give him a start today.

52. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Hey SteveM!To those not watching FP and Bob, FP says there may be retaliation for Morse getting drilled. He said the guys weren't happy about it.

53. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM

UNTERP.NAT said… This should be the everyday lineup:CF/LF Roger BernadinaSS Ian Desmond3B Ryan Zimmerman1B Michael Morse2B Danny EspinosaLF Lance Nix/CF AnkielC Wilson Ramos/Pudge/Jesus FloresRF Jayson WerthPitcher July 20, 2011 1:29 PM I like that as the lineup against RH pitchers. I just don't know how Espi will play there in the 5 hole.I think you have to look at the net result of moving Espi out and Desi into the 2.

54. Knoxville Nat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Steve M,Agree on Hairston last night. Would have liked to see Werth sit this one out, take two days to clear his head and let the Nats play an outfield of Hairston in LF, Ankiel in CF and Bernadina in RF. Mental health days are just as important as a day off for physical reasons.

55. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Morse flattened that ball. Unlucky there.

56. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM

gonat, you got the summaries today?

57. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Already 0-3 with RISP. Have to really appreciate Bernadina and what he is doing. Gets on base and immediately into scoring position. Danny's job was to move him over as Zim would have scored him. 1 opportunity lost.

58. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Nix doesn't get to that though FP. Nice play Bernadina!

59. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Sec 3, I will try. Unlucky scoreboard bounce for Pence to get a triple.

60. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Listen, it is compelte and utter excuse-making to think that the pick compensation for Dunn might turn out to have been the right play in hindsight uf they turn out to be studs. Rizzo paid Dunn Millions to stay on the last place club, risked not having him qualify as a Type A and then shelled out additional big coins for less projectable draft pick guys who stand to help the club further down the line than the MLB ready SP pitcher that Rizzo by most accounts could have had on the Nats roster in return for Dunn. They blew it. They did not elect some other tact that made sense for the organization's long term vision, they froze like a deer in headlights.The Nats look like idiots for not moving Dunn when he had real vlaue and when they had no real reason to kepp him, and that rockheaded move is the kind of thing that may have caused Grienke to think twice about coming here. Last place every year club, no urgency to increase payroll, can't get out of its own way to make a deal — KC likely looked better to him than DC. And the wake of that stupid non move may have added to them being desperados on the hot stove and throwing all those coins at a 30-something toolsy, yet not spectacular, and now widly underperforming and seemingly not so lovely in the clubhouse Werth. dfh21

61. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Carlos Lee singles up the middle for a 1-0 lead. Carpenter questioned pitching to him….

62. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Yep, Carpenter was right but Livan isn't getting his outside corner. Davey should have put up 4 fingers. Runs are too tough to get.

63. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Top 2. 1-0 them as Wallace weakly grounds out.

64. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Steve M. said… Already 0-3 with RISP.Proves that Livo is sub-par, eh? 😉

65. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

My biggest complaint all year rears ugly head in inning 1. We go 0 for 3 RISP. (bunt by Espinosa killed them as Roger would have scored on Zim's ground out). We go 0 for 3First chance for Astros and Lee single in Pense. They go 1 for 1.We have the lowest batting average with RISP and it shows every game.

66. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Werth up and pops up to the outfield on a 2-0 count. Just bad.

67. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Love the afternoon games and also the comments on here. This is why I will move to Charlie and Dave sooner then later – not sure its an exact quote but pretty damn closeSunshine Bobby (not our poster but the guy on TV)"Zimm has his batting ave. up now – hitting .248 with 2 for 8 in this series" Seriously??They have hit Livan hard already in the first inning. Lets hope he can settle in, 3 bad starts in a row would make me unhappy.On Werth – my "source" says this slump IS affecting his demeanor. There was an incident in Atlanta where he actually yelled at a couple of kids in the hotel who were excited to see ballplayers in the lobby. I understand him being upset but you don't take it out on kids, take it out on posters and beat reporters.Go Nats!!

68. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM

what's an "SP pitcher"? As opposed to a starting pitcher shortstop?or was that a tackless question?

69. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

This stadium is a complete joke. Routine fly balls become home runs. Doubles become either singles or triples or outs. There's a freakin' hill and flagpole in centerfield.

70. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Ankiel a weak infield popup and Flores ropes a single into the left field corner, should have been a double and then of course Cora hits a seeing eye through the middle for a single.

71. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Agreed with RISP – I don't have stats but it always seems like we 1. have a hard time getting runners into scoring position and B. we don't get them home.We now have runners on 1st and 3rd but there are 2 outs and Livan is up. This will probably not end well for us. I will post now to make the reverse jinx in play.

72. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Reverse jinx not working either

73. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Livan slaps one right to 2nd base right after Bob tells us that Livan owns Meyers with a 3 for 5 hitting against him.Bottom 2….

74. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Anonymous said… Listen, it is compelte and utter excuse-making to think that the pick compensation for Dunn might turn out to have been the right play in hindsightHuh? I think Gonat already disproved you. He wrote: Elias has a running tally going and it is predictable on the ratings on August 1 unless the numbers are borderline. Dunn was firmly a Type A on July 31st last year and fell back some.

75. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:31 PM

0 for 4 RISP. FP said his hitting coaches always talked to the players to see what their plan for the at bat was. Anytime we see Eckstein he is by himself. He is not coaching anyone during the game. I would suggest getting more engaged in the game.

76. masnstinks - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Manassas – agreed. I often feel like we have offense all over the place, risp constantly but just can't FINISH. Then the opposing team will pop out two hits in a row and score instantly. Get them on, get them over , get them in. 2 out of three just won't cut it.

77. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM

sjm308…On Werth – my "source" says this slump IS affecting his demeanor. There was an incident in Atlanta where he actually yelled at a couple of kids in the hotel who were excited to see ballplayers in the lobby. I understand him being upset but you don't take it out on kids, take it out on posters and beat reporters.Go Nats!! July 20, 2011 2:26 PM SteveM308, if true, a real shame except my buddy in New Jersey that follows the Phillies says even when he was good there he was not a real fan guy. Find that video of him and the foul ball in the right field seats.

78. gonatsgo - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Can't watch the game – is Livo getting shelled or is the other team getting lucky breaks? how does it look?

79. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM

sigh – it might be bad Livo again. Not getting his pitches down. Had maybe one of his great floaters.

80. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Here is the Werth fan video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIqp0iiHuhc&feature=related2-0 Astros. Quintero with a hit and run double. Mills is rolling the dice to get offense.

81. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Livo got lucky. Ball hit right at an infielder.

82. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Yep, Livo looks like he wants to be somewhere else. Just not impressed with him. Livo had 2 on and a chance to help himself with the bat and looked like Werth up there.

83. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Espi with a 1 out single. Zim steps up.

84. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM

With their 5th hit down the left field line of the series the Astros go up 2-0. Man can they find the corners.

85. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Gonatsgo – it pretty much looks to me like "bad Livan" he is not fooling anyone, almost everyone is making contact. When he is on, he gets lots of swinging strikes.Gonat, thanks for the video, I am guessing my guy was right on about the lobby interaction, kind of sad.This has nothing to do with today but in looking at the wrap on all of our minor league teams, did you guys realize that our relief pitchers gave up ZERO runs last night. Every single team played and not one run was scored on our relief guys. For that matter our starters did not give up much either. A good night for our prospects.

86. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM

87. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Gonat said… Zim reaches for a ball and pops it up to RF and then Espi gets picked off diving back to 1st with MORSE up.Are you kidding me. July 20, 2011 2:46 PM Zim lunged for that ball on the outside like Werth. What is going on here.

88. Knoxville Nat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM

sjm308 & Steve M,I've been told by someone who was in a position to know that Werth was not a real good clubhouse guy when he was with the Dodgers. I would venture a guess that he might have cleaned up his act a bit in Philly because of the strong veteran presence of guys like Utley, Polanco, Howard, Rollins and others. If that was the case than his good performance both on the field and in the clubhouse could possibly be attributed more to his surroundings (small ball park, great team personalities)than his own abilities.

89. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM

well, gotta go to work. Y'all take care of this for me. GO NATS!!!

90. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM

To be fair, good Werth here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B78Fr3AolOk&feature=relatedLivan walks Hunter Pence.

91. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Alex Cora with a Web Gem nominee stretching all the way out on dive from a weak Carlos Lee liner.

92. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

amazing dive by Cora to his right to get the 2nd out in the third.

93. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Actually – today I don't mind Livo walking Hunter Pence. And if the offense could start stringing some of this stuff together we might have something to show for it. Morse up with one on – big juicy opportunity, now the bases will be empty when he comes back up. Hopefully soon….

94. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Nice strike out of Wallace. Livan jawboning with the ump. He didn't get a 1/2 on black 1/2 on plate strike.Livan has a good argument.

95. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Michael Morse with a very fortunate do-over foul to the roof girders and then strikes out looking bad…..

96. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Werth with his best swing in 2 months. A smash double to Centerfield

97. Joe Seamhead - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Nice rip, Jason Werth.

98. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Ankiel and Flores can get in Werth 0-6 with RISP today

99. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

on a first-pitch fastball, you notice.

100. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

0 for 6 RISP now. No plans are apparent .

101. nationals7 - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Not bad Livo– ego driven umpiring

102. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Werth doubles, but left stranded following an Ankiel P7 and Flores 4-3.Livo back on the mound w/ pitch count already at 50 and a non-couperative ump with the outside corner.

103. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Should say "can't". Johnson leads off the bottom of the 4th with a single.

104. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

At least they didn't score again in the third – of course, neither did we. Is it my imagination or do some of our hitters look really lost up there? No plan at the plate. Jayson Werth had the best looking swing of the game so far – wait – did I just type that? Livo will get NO calls now that he has been jawing. Come on offense! I have also noticed that our pitchers have not looked good coming off the all star break. What were they doing on break?

105. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Gonat – Morse's K was swinging. Not a good swing, but still a swing.

106. nationals7 - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM

107. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM

108. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM

were already in the 5th? why are nats games so fast?

109. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Now Livan gets his hit!

110. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Bernadina on with a fielder's choice with 2 outs and Espinosa up. Only the speed of Bernadina keeps that from being a double play.

111. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Steve M. said… baseballswami, missed opportunities. Danny Espinosa doesn't get the no out bunt down in the 1st with Berndina on 2nd. 0-6 with RISP. You have slow Carlos Lee in LF that makes Willingham look fast and Flores hits a double but stays on 1st because they didn't want a replay of Hairston last night. July 20, 2011 3:13 PM__________________________You forgot the pickoff of Espinosa with Morse on deck. Off to the bottom of the 5th on a Espinosa strikeout.

112. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Bourn leads off with a bunt single.

113. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

masnstinks said… Manassas – agreed. I often feel like we have offense all over the place, risp constantly but just can't FINISH.To repeat an earlier post, I don't think that's true.Fangraphs shows that the Nats are among the best teams at "Clutch" which is batting above your average in clutch situations.(Remember, the Nats as a team are batting under .240).Does anybody know what the Nationals RISP average is? Compared to the overall average?

114. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Espi comes up with man in RISP and he gets out and singles next time. Hernandez comes up with RISP and gets out and gets hit next time.

115. LoveDaNats - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Why are the Nats making these guys look like all-stars?

116. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Bunts, infield singles, Suicied Squeezes – i thought that was how the Nats played ball, not the AstrosMaybe that Pirate fan from earlier will start following the Astros.

117. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Here we go again. 1st base open and Livan pitching to Carlos Lee and got lucky this time. Top of the 6th…2-0 them.

118. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

119. LoveDaNats - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

At least the 6th inning in here. That's when the Nats seem to perk up.Of course Carp needs to say hitting is terrible in the 6th to make the bats start up.

120. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

JAYSON WERTH with a Crawford Box 2 run HR

121. LoveDaNats - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

who is that bearded man and what have you done with our right fielder?

122. Joe Seamhead - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Hah! Werth heating up?

123. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Jason Werth #11 of the year, you guestd it, HR. Game tied 2-2

124. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM

It was right after I posted the "Good Werth" video that we got some good mojo!!!! LOL

125. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Myers is giving his old buddy some gifts to get back on track.

126. Tcostant - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Unexpected but nice, they need to get back to .500; we should win from here!

127. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Am I correct that both of Werth's hits — double and HR — were on first-pitch fastballs? Perhaps he's reading this blog and recognized that he was being too predictable in taking those?

128. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Anonymous said… no pitching last night. No hits today. Thats why this is a bad team. To lose 2 of 3 to Houston is awful. Nats are still bad and will finish 5th in NL East. Davey not the answer. July 20, 2011 3:32 PM ______________________________Who wants to hear your whining. No pitching last night? A bona fide ace who had his shin chopped off and sucked it up. JZim looked great in the 1st and after the shot to the shin in the 2nd fell apart. Should he have pulled himself out of the game in the 2nd?Disappointed in Davey for throwing him under the bus after the game.

129. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I think I figured it out. Not swing on the first pitch has been Werth's plan all along. Luring the pitchers to throw nice of the plate called strikes then he goes for a double the follows it up with a shot to left (both on BP pithces over the plate)

130. Unkyd - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Anonymous said…no pitching last night. No hits today. Thats why this is a bad team. To lose 2 of 3 to Houston is awful. Nats are still bad and will finish 5th in NL East. Davey not the answer.HAW HAW!!!!!!!! Love when a neganon calls the shot!!! Now…. Who convinced Jayson to swing at a few 1st pitches, and how do I buy him a beer…?

131. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Hopefully Eckstein is the one doing the analysis and giving the advice.

132. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM

OK, ready, here we go.From http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2011-situational-batting.shtmlI'm comparing Nationals average to League Average:1. Sacrifice bunt success rate: 80% vs 73% (second in the league)2. Ground into DP: 10% vs 10% (average)3. Productive out 39% vs 30% (leads the league!)4. Pct of all baserunners who score: 13% vs 14%5. Runner on 3rd, less than two out, scores: 53% vs 51%6. No out, runner on 2d, advances: 59% vs 56% (near the top of the league.)What does this say:The Nats do pretty well in clutch hitting, especially compared to their batting average.The problem isn't that they can't hit in the clutch — it's that they can't hit at all. THe hproblem isn't situational hitting, it's that overall they are hitting .236 (second to worst), and OBP of .307 (second to worst).So, let's get rid of this urban myth that the Nats can't hit with RISP. It just seems that way, because when we lose we remember those situations where we could have won, and it stings.But the bottom line is that a team that is 15th in hitting, and 15th in OBP, is 12th in runs scored, which mean they are making the most of their opportunities compared to other teams.I know it doesn't seem that way (especially today!), but thems are the numbers.

133. David - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

a Werth HR and double in the same game! heck yeah. i'm staying positive with this one. cheering him on…

134. Unkyd - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

JInx, Gonat….. You owe me a coke!

135. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

LoveDaNats said… who is that bearded man and what have you done with our right fielder?Ha! I was just going to write the exact same thing.I was also going to write (a la Unkyd): Who convinced Jayson to swing at a few 1st pitches, and how do I buy him a beer…? Unterp wrote:Stupidly, the manager continues to bat him 5th. This is what you call stupid!Maybe Davey's been telling the truth that, overall, he thinks he's been swinging well as of late, and thinks he might break out.Last item, all on my own:Dare we hope that this is the beginning of him getting on track? (Even though our hearts have been broken so many times before . . . )

136. JD - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

A DC Wonk, Exactly right. When you look at Baseball through a microscope you tend to form and change opinions on a daily basis.

137. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I'm glad Cora got that last out; Stairs was on deck to PH. We could use another inning from Livo if not two. Hey Lannan had a two hit game on Monday, maybe Livo can too.

138. Unkyd - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Wonk: EXCELLENT research!!! That really adds posnergy to my attitude! Just Hit, fellas! They are, you know…. Even the outs are more sharply smacked, lately…

139. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Unkyd, best to ignore the losers. This team can frustrate us but the smart ones know there will be a day soon that this will be a very good team.If you can't see the progress having above average pitching, above average defense, above average athleticism, then you aren't watching.I can name a few glaring problems on this team and my only hope is that Rizzo doesn't Greinke this team.Speaking of Greinke, he is a Free Agent after 2012.

140. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Livan is pinch hit for in the top of the 7th. A Matt Stairs sighting….with normal efficiency. A looking K

141. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

DC Wonk,Many thanks for doing that research. I am particularly surprised at #5; I had the distinct (anecdotal) impression that the Nats were leaving an awful lot of runners on third with zero or one outs. And I think — rather obviously — that your analysis is spot-on. You've got to put runners on base in the first place, thus the need to work on that OBP ranking (even more than BA). What's the story on pinch-hitting (apropos of Stairs' strikeout)?

142. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Matt Stairs:Strike (looking), Ball, Strike (looking), Foul, Foul, Ball, Strike (looking), M Stairs struck out looking

143. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Livo's BA is higher than Stairs. He could have stood there and got a called third strike just as easy as Stairs did. But Stairs can't pitch the 7th, yet even run the bases if he gets on.

144. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Gotta hand it to Livo. He started rough, but ended with a quality start. He allowed at least one baserunner every inning, but the hits were (for the most part) scattered, and so only two runs.

145. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM

146. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Eugene — thanks for the call out.I think, for the fans, it's psychological. We're in a lot of close games, and so those times when we lose by one run, and there was a guy on third with no out and he didn't score — those we remember a lot. A guy scoring on a sac fly or a grounder — it's not so impressive and doesn't stand out.FWIW, I looked at the stats having no idea what I would find, and was just as surprised as, I think, most everybody else here.

147. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Hah. The new prospect, Altuve (batting close to .400 in AA) — tough to give him his first ever MLB start against wiley ole' Livo! Now Altuve's timing will be way off (for who knows how long).Welcome to the bigs, kid.As for Altuve — he's probably thinking, "damn, I haven't seen pitches that slow since Babe Ruth league!"

148. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Can the bullpen get a quick third out finally?

149. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:08 PM

… and, as if on cue, Altuve has to face 98 mph fastballs by H-Rod. He did manage to foul two of them off, before striking out on a 82 mph slider.Nasty stuff. Almost unfair for a just-turned-21-year-old to have to face that after Livo's stuff.

150. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Wait, I was with a student, couldn't quite pay attention to two things at once, my bad on multi-tasking.Did I hear correctly? In the middle of all the bad mouthing, playing Werth's trash videos, etc, he doubled and then tied the game with a homer???? OK, so go ahead with knocking Werth, guess he heard you and got mad…

151. RickH - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM

MEMO TO: Jayson WerthFROM: Nats FansYes, that's what we've been looking for! Please don't make us wait so long for the next one.

152. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Manassas Nats Fan said…Werth's head is staying still today, thus really good results. If he had more days like this people would get off his back.I know I would.

153. Unkyd - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Aluve….. That's why they call it The Bigs…Nice job, Big H!!!

154. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM

captcha was gorsaddlfeeling a little gorse-addled myself.

155. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Wonk – great research and that sure surprised me but I think you also nailed the analysis. Its our overall hitting that needs to perk up. What are the odds Werth swings on the first pitch a 3rd time. What are the odds the pitcher throws it near the plate?Here we go.We have cut down on the complete neganons as we hover around .500 but they will never all go away.OK Strike one looking. His swing and foul on strike two looked good. His ground out to SS, not so good but still 2-4 today 1-3 yesterday plus 2 walks. Maybe he is coming around.Will Davey throw HRod two innings? Hope not with a day off tomorrow.

156. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Manassas Nats Fan said… Werth's head is staying still today, thus really good results. If he had more days like this people would get off his back. July 20, 2011 3:59 PM ____________________________More so it was like a hitter pouncing on a 3-0 get me over fastball. Werth jumped on the 1st pitch which was a grooved fastball like he would deposit in BP.He didn't miss it luckily.

157. gonatsgo - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Just got out of a meeting – do my eyes deceive me? Nice. Just checking the gameday recap – is there any reason why you would put Matt Stairs out there to pinch hit for Livo when Livo has a better batting average?Why should this be automatic to pinch hit. And in a tie game in a critical spot. No chance Stairs and Werth both bust out on the same day. Worst case scenario you have saved a pinch hitter for later in a tie game. Add to the list of things I just don't get.

158. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Thanks, sjm. Yup — I think it surprised us all.As for Werth, I guess he's hitting .429 (with a .555 OBP) over his last two games. (Wait, did somebody say "sample size"). Here's hoping we're witnessing the beginning of a long sustained "progression" to the mean!

159. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Here we go with Davey. Fresh bullpen and MPHRod comes out for a 2nd inning.

160. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I hate second guessing the manager but 1. I would not have pinch hit for Livan2. I would not throw HRod two innings.

161. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Oh boy, just walked Hunter Pence to start the inning.

162. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Daggone it Davey!!What are you thinking? Leadoff runner on and he has speed. I think its early for the maalox and Jameson but I am headed that way.No one warming up either? What is going on in the dugout?

163. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM

H Rod starts the 8th off with a walk; Clippard jumps up in the bullpen.

164. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Davey, this isn't Spring Training. Everyone in the bullpen should be fresh.

165. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

could use a Double play ball right about now

166. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Wild Pitch but Flores didn't block it. Davey, this is on you!

167. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I realize who threw the pitch but this is ALL ON DAVEY. Clippard fresh, nothing since Sunday and he throws HRod for a second inning. Damn I hate this game at times. I skipped the maalox and went right into the Irish Whiskey. Its gonna be a long night.

168. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Davey up to his bad control of pitching again. HROD 1 inning is all I can take. NEver, Never, Never walk lead off batter late. Now he walked two. What is Davey waiting for?

169. Unkyd - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Hard to fathom tryna get two from HRod, here….

170. JD - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:29 PM

171. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM

172. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM

did i see Davey call for a double switch?Yup. Nix in at left batting 9th, Bernadina to CF. Pitcher spot now the #6 spot.Clippard intentially walks Johnson to load the bases. 1 out

173. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM

JD said… I tend to agree with the pack today. I would have gone with Clip here especially with the middle of their order. This is old school thinking where you don't use your best relievers unless you have the lead but I think you have to protect the tie first. July 20, 2011 4:29 PM _______________________________Can I say it? BINGO, we have a winner!

174. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Davey has no excuses. This bullpen is so predictable these days that Davey should know. He got a pass the first week but no longer. Just a poor handling of the assets he has.BTW, Clippard save Davey's butt.

175. LoveDaNats - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I've never seen anyone get out of a jam better than Clipp! Don't trade him, please

176. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Let's see if Davey has learned anything.1) Does he bring Clip out next inning2) Say thank you, see you Friday in LA

177. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM

TYLER CLIPPARD to the rescue!!Still not happy with Davey but love that relief job.OK, here we go, I only have 1/2 bottle of Jameson so please end this here.

178. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Guys, guys, guys . . . chill out at bit on the Davey bashing and his bullpen. The question is not whether Clippard is fresh _today_, or whether we have a day off _tomorrow_. The question is if we want to burn him out for the season. He's now pitched in 44 of our 98 games, and thrown more innings than any other releiver on the team!It's a marathon, not a sprint.Anyone remember Clippard performance at the end of last year?Trying to get two out of a young H-Rod was the right thing to try, imho.

179. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Gonat – totally different bringing Clippard out for a 2nd inning. Rodriguez is erratic and we all hold our breath even when its one inning. Clippard is solid and can probably get through a 2nd inning. We do have a fresh bullpen with an off day tomorrow. What killed me was no one was even warming up when HRod went out for his second inning. We are going meekly here in the 9th. Not good.Interesting that the Astro's have their closer in with a tie game. They must not have the same journal that Davey uses.

180. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Clippard shouldn't have pitched 2 innings in Atlanta and it cost the Nats in more ways than 1. When he is over-used his ball flattens out. He is too valuable to be over-used. That is the point and Clippard would never complain. It is on the Manager to manage his players and know their tendencies and abilities.

181. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Wonk, I will politely disagree. I don't think using HRod for two innings is a good thing in any situation. He throws heat and I think for one inning when he is one, he is super. We have everyone available today and yes, we do overuse Clippard so what about Mattheus, or Detwiler, or Coffey, just not HRod for two innings, ever.

182. JD - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM

A DC Wonk, I disagree, Clip hasn't pitched since Sunday and we have a day off tomorrow. Using him today was very reasonable.

183. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Gonat, I agree with you. This is the perfect spot for Detwiler as he can go 1 to 3 innings if needed. Perfect short-man and long innings if you need it.

184. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

One inning for each as you have everyone fresh. Why push it?

185. LoveDaNats - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Jayson! Dive for that ball!

186. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM

187. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Werth did not get a good jump on that Altuve hit and Clippard is on fumes now.

188. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Gonat said… One inning for each as you have everyone fresh. Why push it?Because he's trying to use fewer pitchers. We can't just go to Clip and Store every single 8th and 9th inning.Clips leads the team in innings pitched (for relievers), and Store leads the team in appearances.I think everybody's ignoring that point, except sjm who said: "we do overuse Clippard so what about Mattheus, or Detwiler, or Coffey"If Det comes in and blows the lead, everybody's still screaming why not Clip.As for Mattheus, Coffey, I dunno.But this wasn't as dumb as some of the Davey-bashers made it out to be.

189. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Agreed to one inning each and save Detwiler for more if you need him. Not upset if Storen pitches next. Of course Bob C is not giving us any information on anyone warming up in the bullpen.Kid gets his first hit and now Clippard is struggling these guys are killing me. I bring Storen in right here. This is the game.

190. N. Cognito - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

"It is knowing your players."And it's apparent everyone here knows them better than the Davey does.

191. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Gonat said… Now you got Clippard into his 7th hitter. It doesn't matter the outcome. It is knowing your players. July 20, 2011 4:53 PM Agreed, most others don't agree though. It doesn't matter the outcome right or wrong just like Atlanta.

192. sjm308 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Whew!

193. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

N. Cognito, well yes. LOL

194. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM

How close was Lee's out to being gone? MLB.com field view shows it on the wall…

195. Steve M. - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I have on pitch track and that pitch to Carlos Lee was right down the middle.

196. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Smoked to CF. Not close to the wall since he didn't get elevation (luckily)

197. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

N. Cognito said… "It is knowing your players." And it's apparent everyone here knows them better than the Davey does.Yeah, no kidding, NC! It's not only knowing the players, but it's seeing the context of the entire season (see Clippard's July meltdown last year). It's not like this game is the 7th game of the world series. There's still 63 more games to play.Trying to get two out of H-Rod, made sense to me. Once Clippard is in, then trying to get two out of him makes sense to me.People may disagree, but that's different from saying that Davey's doing something stupid. It's eminently defensible, even if others would make a different choice.

198. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Have Werth and Zimmerman changed for a day? Can't these guys both rake in the same games?2 groundouts and a strikeout from the Nats 1-2-3 hitters.

199. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Gonat said… Have Werth and Zimmerman changed for a day?Well, that _would_ explain a lot! (not only the double and homer, but the first pitch swing! 😉

200. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Game over. First-pitch single, watch the Stros execute to perfection with a bunt and a base hit.

201. Navy Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

or not

202. Navy Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Talk about strange managing – no attempt to get the runner into scoring position?

203. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Mr. Werth, if all it took was posting the "good video" of you, I would have done it 7 weeks ago.

204. LoveDaNats - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Wow! There is light in his eyes and a spring in his step! I like the "good Jayson"

205. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Werth — 3-for-5 with two doubles and a homer?Now _that's_ what a break-out looks like. (We just hope it's for real!)

206. gonatsgo - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I really need to stop leaving my desk – wow. I have been scanning the posts from the last hour. Bullpen management has been serious problem since Davey took over. He is absolutely terrible at it. He also still doesn't seem to"get" his personnel and manages poorly when the game is stressful – almost all the time with the nats. A very stubborn adherence to the vets, too – ie – putting Stairs in critical spots. Those one-run games we used to win with that little bit of wizardry and magic are no more. Now we lose them on the little things gone wrong. Hate going into an off day and a west-coast series this way. And by the way – is it april fools day – wtf with Jayson Werth?

207. LoveDaNats - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Thanks, Gonat

208. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM

RISP — fold, fold, fold.

209. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I lost count of the O-fers with RISP. %$*&#@!

210. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM

A very stubborn adherence to the vets, too – ie – putting Stairs in critical spots.When was the last time Stairs was used?(My point is that there have been dozens of "critical spots" in the last week or so where Stairs was not used).

211. Exposremains - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:24 PM

One thing is for sure with these Nats is that they love to look at right down the middle 1st pitch strikes. Is there a stat for that?

212. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Anonymous said… How close was Lee's out to being gone? MLB.com field view shows it on the wall… July 20, 2011 5:02 PMNot close to the wall at all.Probably 5 ft in front of the warning track

213. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Oh my, Quintero with a bleeder single. Unreal.

214. JaneB - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM

It goes without saying that we all hope this is a sign that Jayson has broken out. But I hopenit so much, couldn't not say it.Thanks for this great stats, Wonk. I was one of the people convinced we had tk be leading the league in leaving guys stranded in third. Good to know otherwise.

215. Gonat - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Why are they pitching to Bourn?

216. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM

because they don't want to pitch to Hunter Pence.would not have been my call.

217. gonatsgo - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM

DCwonk – Stairs – today.

218. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Absolute garbage to the worst team in baseball.

219. Exposremains - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Pathetic

220. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM

When did Coffey get so bad?

221. rogieshan - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Why wasn't Bourn walked intentionally to set up the double play?

222. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM

gonatsgo said… DCwonk – Stairs – today.I meant the last time. It's not like he uses him all the time, which is what the comment implied.In the meantime, let's all blame Davey for this. It, obviously, was his fault that the team was 0-for-9 in RISP, and the top three of the order was 1-for-13.

223. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Last place, here we come! However, "this is a much better last place team than last year's last place team." Yeah, right, whatever. Yawn.

224. Anonymous8 - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Lets just talk about Coffey's inning. Quintero is a righty so why is Werth in doubles defense in the opposite field. Then Quintero gets sacrificed to 2nd and with 1st base open they don't intentionally walk Bourn in a righty/lefty.Bad strategy and when you don't play it by the book it will catch up with you.

225. Anonymous8 - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Coffey is now worth NOTHING on the trade market.

226. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Astros have gone two months without winning a series and we let them win. Come on guys, that is embarrassing. I do not understand and several people who I trust who played nall don't understand to tel me, but maybe you guys who are smarter know. Why are most of the our strikes outs either a called 3rd strike or a swing at one out of the zone, and very few swinging at actual strikes?

227. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Why are most of the our strikes outs either a called 3rd strike or a swing at one out of the zone, and very few swinging at actual strikes?Like our misperceptions with clutch hitting, do you that this is the case? Or does it just seem that way? (I think stats for that are at fangraph)

228. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM

So, I leave to teach three students and we lose the game????? People!!! I see by the box score Coffey lost the game? Sheesh, what happened to the good Coffey?

229. gonatsgo - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:43 PM

DCWonk — I am well aware that many people think Davey Johnson is the greatest manager since baseball began. I don't and when your team is just bad enough or good enough to be in constant one-run games, poor strategies decision get exposed. No – he is not the one out there hitting. But – this team that used to look intense and focused, even in losses, now looks very lost. There does not seem to be any kind of consistency or plan – the game is happening to them instead – things are reactive not proactive. I hope he finds a way to get a clear, sensible plan and get everyone moving forward in LA.

230. FS - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Well this just tells us we should be in sell mode this deadline and not worry about who fills in for those trade-able pieces. Facing Astros, in their hitter-friendly park, we should have performed better. Marquis, Coffey, and Nix can still get us few low level guys or whatever. Marquis and Nix are free agent at the end of the season so if need be, we can sign them later.I would still like to hold on to clippard, but understand that if an everyday solution can be brought in by trading him, sounds good.

231. CBinDC - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:45 PM

so here we are losing two of three to the worst team in MLB ……HOW will we ever change the CULTURE of LOSING on this team if you lose 2 of 3 to the worst team in MLB ……remember they are the worst TEAM IN MLB

232. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:46 PM

4 batters 3 hits. Nice job FATTY. 11 more days he is gone. My question is why Davey didn't pinch it for Flores. That bat by Flores was an embarrasment. Well gotta go. It's COFFEE time!!! BRING BACK RIGGLEMAN

233. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Wow – I see that Jayson Werth had a good game, Livo was obviously ok and everyone else was terrible? Is that what happened? Let's hope LA is better. Day off tomorrow to lick wounds. At least no complaining about the bullpen being tired on Friday.( just kind of not very good lately?) I would hate to be on that plane tonight – ouch.

234. CBinDC - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Here is something the Davy Johnson period is now a losing record with more errors and even worse situational hitting then before ……so much for hoping that there was a manager with magic as part of their bag of management tools

235. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM

4 batters 3 hits. Nice job chubby. Why is Flores batting and not Ramos in the situation. That at bat by Flores was embarrasing. Oh well gotta go its COFFEE time!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

236. Manassas Nats Fan - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Do you have to belong to fangraph to find information like the K's?

237. CBinDC - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Dear Mark question ….what is the team record if Matt Stairs is used as a PH ……does he add, subtract or is neutral to the record

238. nationals7 - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Heart. Break.

239. Joe Seamhead - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Yeah, right, Davey Johnson doesn't know anything about baseball anymore. Give me a break. We can't use Tyler every day. Between Coffey and Burnett, we have two pitchers that we can't consistently trust right now. Matheus is a pretty good rookie, but, man, we've already got a pretty fair amount out of him.Flores isn't ready to be back in prime time. Ryan Zimmerman went o-5. Espy didn't do diddly. Werth, in addition to the HR, gets two doubles, (batting fifth, I might add), and nobody can bring him in either time. Matt Stairs?Nobody gets that whole deal. Should Jason Werth dove for that ball? Probably a bad idea, as it was a stretch to catch and if he misses it, there's no one behind him, and the hit goes for lead off extra bases. The last three losses have all been painful, but we'll come back. Just keep going you Nationals!

240. Exposremains - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I really haven't anything thats better with Nats since D. Johnson has taken over. I like that he doesn't make excuses for his players but there is no real consequences. Can anybody tell me things that this team do better under him?

241. Anonymous8 - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Gonat said… Davey has mis-used his bullpen almost all of the time. Even last night Coffey fell apart as he stinks in full innings of work. July 20, 2011 4:31 PM You said that about an hour before Coffey stepped in and for another game, the blood, sweat and tears falls on Coffey. Between Coffey and Burnett, the 2 of them are just not getting it done.Rizzo should be pissed as Coffey a few days ago would have brought in a decent A ball prospect.

242. Drew8 - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM

New FDA warning: Coffey gives you the runs.

243. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Todd Coffey threw seven pitches and gave up three hits.Unbelievable.

244. Nats - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM

We HAVE to keep Clippard. Next year, when we REALLY need someone to get outs with the bases loaded, we have to have him. Also, Stras will only be going 6 or 7 innings, he has to be on a limit. You cannot give up Clip and you CANNOT overuse him.

245. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Clip hasn't pitched since Sunday and we have a day off tomorrow. Using him today was very reasonable.They're going to burn the kid out. Mattheus is their last best hope to avoid that. As H-Rod is inconsistent when it comes to control. But he doesn't allow gopher balls with the bags loaded as Burnett has this year. But walks do kill. The injuries to both Carr and Kimball (both shoulder surgeries) really put a major crimp in things. With those two the Nats had reinforcements. Unless Severino continues to pitch well (he is a lefty) I don't see anyone down in Syracuse that can help in the bullpen at this point … short of Josh Wilkie. And he isn't having the banner year he had last season.

246. Anonymous - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:57 PM

It's COFFEE time!!! BRING BACK RIGGLEMAN.RIGGLEMAN picked this roster that means Gaudin and Coffey. Not everything was Rizzo and the FO. Riggleman only pitched guys he trusted and that meant overusing Clippard and Storen and leaving H-Rod, Mattheus, and Burnett to mop up duties. RIGGLEMAN is the guy who loved to bring in "Miss Iowa" who was notorious for allowing grandslams and dingers. But he would still trot out Miguel Batista until Rizzo got rid of him. C'mon RIGGLEMAN : .445 winning percentage, bad attitude, EEYOR face. JOHNSON : .537 winning percentage, we will win, CONFIDENT!

247. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:04 PM

I don't want to say anything good about Werth and you know why. Two weeks ago I tried to warn everyone about the real Nats and not to expect too much in my own way mainly to caution everyone. This team still has many holes and a bit to go before we can classify them as a good team. When I was negative it was because I wanted to believe that they were better than they were. They had been winning too many one run games with smoking mirrors and you had to know that this wouldn't continue. They are a much improved team from the previous two seasons but still a long ways to go and are very competitive. Whether Riggleman throwing the team under the bus at the time regressed them, we will never know, but his timing and selfishness didn't help. But as a former NCAA basketball coach once uttered and this epitomizes the Washington Nationals and I think best describes who they are to a man, "Don't give up, don't ever give up."

248. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Davey better get in the mode of using Detwiler. We are not going to the playoffs (sob!). So DON'T DON'T damage Clip's arm permanently (cf. Chad Cordero). Don't trade him to a playoff contender, because THEY will overuse him, the temptation is overwhelming.And you can't say "middle relievers are a dime a dozen." They may be, but Clip has THE best record for not letting inherited runners score (RISP). That is INVALUABLE unless you have the kind of pitching staff that NEVER gets into late inning jams. You have to manage him so that incredible skill is with us next year when Stras and Zimm'nn, etc., are the rotation.Good job, Jayson!!

249. natsfan1a - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Haven't read through the comments but was happy to see Werth breaking out his bat today with the two doubles and the HR. Was endearing when Morse tapped Werth's helmet for him, after which Jayson finally did it himself (alright, I did it, too – happy now?). I think Morse was happier for Werth than for himself. Also some good work from Livo and Clippard, on the plus side. On the minus side, well, I'm sure all that's already been cussed and discussed as my husband would say. Wasn't happy with the ending and shouted at the tv set some in the final innings but I've since regained my equilibrium because, in the end, it's just a game, ya know?

250. natsfan1a - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Oh, and maybe sec3 should call Jayson an Alpha Hotel more often. 😉

251. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:35 PM

1a, it's just a game? When did that happen?

252. Frediemac - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Losers! I guess we are back to winning 2 games a weekDavey Johnson is gone at the end of another last place finish

253. Unkyd - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Random thoughts:One anon has us pegged for in the division, done deal. Not.I don't think I've heard even ONE "Hosanna!" in regard to Davey. Many of us considered him a good choice, given the ridiculous situation we were in, there. If we were 10 over .500, at this point, there would be talk of giving a couple of years, but maybe he IS Gibbs 3.0. At least we can make a rational decision, after the season. Davey was a good choice, at the time, as the main thing was to have some gravitas in the clubhouse, for the second half.Turns out, the use of the BP didn't matter… We didn't score enough to win…The hits are coming… They're just not properly organized. The timing will come, too.I hope Rizzo doesn't trade anything that might be useful, beyond this year. We want to have as many bats, arms, and gloves as possible competing for spots on next years roster, come spring. Plenty of time to trade veteran depth for prospects, after things shake out. We're not good, now. Next year, we will be…. You'll see :-)

254. Unkyd - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Should have read:One anon has us pegged for LAST in the division, done deal. Not.One other thing: I miss NatsJack, but I get why he doesn't post much…

255. A DC Wonk - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Oh, please, a team is never as bad as it looks when it's losing, and not as good as it looks when it's winning. The team doesn't look focused? C'mon! That's what some commenters were saying about Livo after the second inning today. But then he pitched four scoreless innings after that.Davey's track record speaks for itself — it's too bad that some here don't hear it, or else are just biased against him.And anyone who thinks that we can tell how Davey's doing with the team because he's managed just a few weeks has forgotten what the phrase "small sample size" means.Does anyone remember when last year the neg-Anons were saying that the Nats should have hired a manager like Buck Showalter, because the Orioles had started winning?How's that Showalter thing working out for the O's now?Davey manages for the long term. Most fans, including many here, think in the short term.

256. N. Cognito - Jul 21, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Coffey has never been all that good. For the Nats this season, he had one really good month – May.Kinda like the Nats. They're really a 75 win team, but that winning streak that put them 2 games over .500 is like Coffey's month of May.Doesn't matter who manages this team, it's not going to win much more or less than 75 games.

257. Dave - Jul 21, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Somebody with no name said: "BRING BACK RIGGLEMAN"Riggleman quit. Nobody sent him away.

258. Unkyd - Jul 21, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Hunter Pence: Available….. Tawk amongst yourselves…

259. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Can he play left? They didn't get much for Keppinger, but the Giants weren't bidding against much, apparently, for a second baseman. Outfield bat, I think, not the same market. Would it take Clippard to outbid others for the trade?

260. Anonymous - Jul 21, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Hey Gonat, quit whining. You act like your the only one who knows anything. Are you JZs cousin? I'll admit the kid looks really good at times but he still throws to many juicey balls when he is ahead in the count.

261. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM

262. natsfan1a - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:11 AM

um…sorry?

263. natsfan1a - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:14 AM

I suspect that I may have missed something, but I'm not going to try to get through 260 posts right now to figure it out. 'night all.

264. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:22 AM

265. NatsLady - Jul 21, 2011 at 3:25 AM

"Outfield bat, I think, not the same market. Would it take Clippard to outbid others for the trade?"Sofa, hush yo mouth. No trading Clippard. NO.

266. sjm308 - Jul 21, 2011 at 4:23 AM

The absolute one thing I like about Davey is he speaks his mind and is apparently not afraid to say stuff. I have never heard Riggs say anything like I heard in Davey's pregame interview with Dave & Charlie. He basically said that the bench when he took over was not what he would have had if he had been here from the beginning and he is right. He went on to explain that he had Cora, Hairston, and Bixler. Basically 3 middle infielders and he also said he has two young starters that must get the majority of the playing time. He went on to say he had gone to the 3 subs and explained the situation, that they were not going to get much time in the infield. Hairston of course got hurt but can play the outfield and if you look, he also played Bixler there a few times. The point is Davey was not afraid to be honest about his bench. Bixler is now back in AAA and while Stairs puzzles all of us with his presence, at least I am positive that Davey wants him here. Go Nats – still looking for that 78 wins this year which will be another nice step forward no matter what the neganons or as Dave aptly called them "somebody with no name".

267. Drew8 - Jul 21, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Farm report:The Harper show comes to Richmond Thursday, with young Roy Hobbs hobbled by a 1-for-25 skid. Let's hope he feasts on Flying Squirrels.At Syracuse, Lombardozzi is hitting .345 with a .381 on base percentage.Marrero is hitting .307 with a .383 on base percentage.I wish Marrero had more than 9 home runs, but he's knocked in 50 and has put together a nice all-around season at the dish.At Hagerstown a reliever blew A.J. Cole's chance for his third win. Cole gave up one earned in five innings and dropped his ERA to 2.83. He has 64 K's, 10 walks and an excellent whip (walks + hits/IP) of 1.11.At Potomac, Danny Rosenbaum threw a complete game, gave up 3 earned runs and took the loss. Rosenbaum has a 2.67 ERA, with 91 K's, 38 walks and a fine 1.20 whip.At Auburn, 3b Matt Skoke (the Nats' 2011 5th round pick, who should have used a designated driver at Georgia Tech) is knocking the ball around. He's batting third in the order and drove in 4 runs tonight. He's hitting .315 with 18 RBIs in 32 games.

268. Drew8 - Jul 21, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Typo — the 3b at Auburn is Matt Skole.

269. Scooter - Jul 21, 2011 at 4:53 AM

Thanks as always for the bush-league dope, Drew. You do a fine job of hitting the highlights for us.

270. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:18 PM