Jul 23, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Tom Gorzelanny faces Ted Lilly tonight at Dodger Stadium.
Behind a couple of surprising home runs (John Lannan's two-run shot, Jerry Hairston's grand slam) and some impressive pitching from Lannan, Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard and Drew Storen, the Nationals won last night's series opener against the Dodgers, 7-2. In order to make it two in a row tonight, they'll need a similarly strong performance from starter Tom Gorzelanny, who has plenty of incentive when he takes the mound tonight.
Gorzelanny had to depart his last start in Atlanta in the third inning after spraining his ankle in a collision at the plate with Braves catcher Brian McCann. Whether there's any lingering effect remains to be seen. The left-hander also has some pressure on him to perform given the likely addition of Chien-Ming Wang to the Nats' rotation in the next week. If another starter (ie. Jason Marquis) is traded, Wang could take over that spot in the rotation. If not, someone is going to have to get bumped, and Gorzelanny would be a candidate for demotion to the bullpen.
Fellow lefty Ted Lilly starts tonight for the Dodgers, facing a Nationals lineup that has struggled against southpaws this season. They're hitting just .219 with a .651 OPS against lefties, as opposed to .242 and .691 against righties.
I'm going to be out most of the evening, but I'll try to insert the lineups here once they're posted. Enjoy the game and the conversation…
NATIONALS at DODGERS
Where: Dodger Stadium
Gametime: 10:10 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Clear, 69 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to RF
LF Jerry Hairston
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)
- Williams faces first real test as Nationals manager
- Nats' defensive mistakes add up in loss to Cardinals
- Nats lose 8-0 to Cardinals on Wainwright's two-hitter