Jul 25, 2011, 12:56 AM EDT
The announcement came hours after Wang made his sixth (and final) minor-league rehab start, allowing five runs and eight hits over five innings for Class AAA Syracuse against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. It was by far the 31-year-old’s least-effective start during his month-long rehab assignment, and it perhaps raised some questions about his readiness to face big-league hitters, but the Nationals don’t have the ability to keep him in the minors any longer.
Pitchers are allowed only 30 days on rehab assignments before they must either come off the disabled list, establish they’ve suffered a new injury or otherwise be removed off the franchise’s roster. Wang’s assignment ends on Wednesday, and because he’s out of minor-league options and has been deemed healthy, he would have to be released if not activated.
A two-time 19-game winner with the Yankees in 2006-07, Wang hasn’t pitched in the major leagues since July 4, 2009. He underwent surgery
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop