Jul 26, 2011, 11:07 PM EST
Updated at 9:00 p.m.
The Nationals have acquired outfielder Jonny Gomes from the Reds in exchange for minor leaguers Bill Rhinehart and Chris Manno, a subtle move designed to add a veteran bat to their bench in advance of Sunday’s trade deadline.
Gomes, 30, was hitting .211 with 11 homers, 31 RBI and a .336 on-base percentage in 77 games with Cincinnati this season. A career .244 hitter in parts of nine big-league seasons with the Reds and Rays, he could wind up serving as a right-handed platoon option in left field alongside Laynce Nix.
Gomes’ 2011 salary is $1.75 million, but the Reds are covering some of the roughly $600,000 he’s due the remainder of the year. He’ll be a free agent at the end of the season, and he could qualify for “Type B”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?