Jul 26, 2011, 11:07 PM EST
Updated at 9:00 p.m.
The Nationals have acquired outfielder Jonny Gomes from the Reds in exchange for minor leaguers Bill Rhinehart and Chris Manno, a subtle move designed to add a veteran bat to their bench in advance of Sunday’s trade deadline.
Gomes, 30, was hitting .211 with 11 homers, 31 RBI and a .336 on-base percentage in 77 games with Cincinnati this season. A career .244 hitter in parts of nine big-league seasons with the Reds and Rays, he could wind up serving as a right-handed platoon option in left field alongside Laynce Nix.
Gomes’ 2011 salary is $1.75 million, but the Reds are covering some of the roughly $600,000 he’s due the remainder of the year. He’ll be a free agent at the end of the season, and he could qualify for “Type B”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats