Jul 27, 2011, 4:57 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman reacts after striking out in the eighth.
Since taking over the manager’s office at Nationals Park one month ago, Davey Johnson has maintained an even-keel demeanor, never getting too high after wins, never lashing out after losses.
After an 11-2 thumping at the hands of the Marlins Tuesday night, one that knocked the Nationals into last place in the NL East for the first time since June 14, Johnson’s calm exterior began to show a few cracks.
“It’s not sitting well with me,” he said. “I have a high boiling point, and I’m getting closer to it.”
Johnson had every right to be seething after a tepid performance from his team. Returning home following a disappointing 3-6 road trip that featured several unsettling losses, this was the time to get things back on track and make some headway against a division rival.
Instead, the Nationals fell behind early and never had a chance. Jordan Zimmermann was roughed up for the second time in seven days. Counterpart Ricky Nolasco didn’t surrender a hit until the fifth. Reliever Henry Rodriguez imploded late, giving up five runs in
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins