Jul 27, 2011, 4:57 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman reacts after striking out in the eighth.
Since taking over the manager’s office at Nationals Park one month ago, Davey Johnson has maintained an even-keel demeanor, never getting too high after wins, never lashing out after losses.
After an 11-2 thumping at the hands of the Marlins Tuesday night, one that knocked the Nationals into last place in the NL East for the first time since June 14, Johnson’s calm exterior began to show a few cracks.
“It’s not sitting well with me,” he said. “I have a high boiling point, and I’m getting closer to it.”
Johnson had every right to be seething after a tepid performance from his team. Returning home following a disappointing 3-6 road trip that featured several unsettling losses, this was the time to get things back on track and make some headway against a division rival.
Instead, the Nationals fell behind early and never had a chance. Jordan Zimmermann was roughed up for the second time in seven days. Counterpart Ricky Nolasco didn’t surrender a hit until the fifth. Reliever Henry Rodriguez imploded late, giving up five runs in
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians