Jul 27, 2011, 8:57 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Javier Vazquez tonight at Nationals Park.
Davey Johnson suggested last night there might be lineup changes in store for today's game, and the Nationals manager was true to his word. No Jayson Werth. No Ian Desmond. No Roger Bernadina. No Wilson Ramos. All of them are getting a mental day off, as Johnson explained.
Davey also held a closed-door meeting with his troops before batting practice, letting them know his reasons for some of these changes today, and more importantly, how he intends to try to get more players involved moving forward.
"I basically had a set lineup going on [previously]," Johnson said. "I wanted everybody to know what I thought was the best chance we had to win, and the order they came up in. I also felt like you don't win pennants with 15 guys. You win pennants with 25. And I was going to be doing even more of that."
Livan Hernandez gets the start against former Expos teammate Javier Vazquez. Also, Jonny Gomes is here and in uniform and is available off the bench. Johnson said he'll start tomorrow's series finale.
Updates to come…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Partly cloudy, 87 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF
LF Jerry Hairston
SS Alex Cora
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured