Jul 27, 2011, 8:57 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Javier Vazquez tonight at Nationals Park.
Davey Johnson suggested last night there might be lineup changes in store for today's game, and the Nationals manager was true to his word. No Jayson Werth. No Ian Desmond. No Roger Bernadina. No Wilson Ramos. All of them are getting a mental day off, as Johnson explained.
Davey also held a closed-door meeting with his troops before batting practice, letting them know his reasons for some of these changes today, and more importantly, how he intends to try to get more players involved moving forward.
"I basically had a set lineup going on [previously]," Johnson said. "I wanted everybody to know what I thought was the best chance we had to win, and the order they came up in. I also felt like you don't win pennants with 15 guys. You win pennants with 25. And I was going to be doing even more of that."
Livan Hernandez gets the start against former Expos teammate Javier Vazquez. Also, Jonny Gomes is here and in uniform and is available off the bench. Johnson said he'll start tomorrow's series finale.
Updates to come…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Partly cloudy, 87 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF
LF Jerry Hairston
SS Alex Cora
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats to interview former manager of year for open job
- Report: Former Nats player to interview for open manager job
- Mets, Cubs aim to clinch NLCS berths as playoffs continue
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'