Game 103: Marlins at Nats

Jul 27, 2011, 8:57 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Javier Vazquez tonight at Nationals Park.

Davey Johnson suggested last night there might be lineup changes in store for today's game, and the Nationals manager was true to his word. No Jayson Werth. No Ian Desmond. No Roger Bernadina. No Wilson Ramos. All of them are getting a mental day off, as Johnson explained.

Davey also held a closed-door meeting with his troops before batting practice, letting them know his reasons for some of these changes today, and more importantly, how he intends to try to get more players involved moving forward.

"I basically had a set lineup going on [previously]," Johnson said. "I wanted everybody to know what I thought was the best chance we had to win, and the order they came up in. I also felt like you don't win pennants with 15 guys. You win pennants with 25. And I was going to be doing even more of that."

Livan Hernandez gets the start against former Expos teammate Javier Vazquez. Also, Jonny Gomes is here and in uniform and is available off the bench. Johnson said he'll start tomorrow's series finale.

Updates to come…

MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Partly cloudy, 87 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
LF Jerry Hairston
SS Alex Cora
1B Michael Morse

1. Gonat - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM

sjm, from the 'benchings' you mention in the last post, these guys aren't in the starting lineup because of their history against Vazquez. Jayson Werth (3-for-24, 2 BB, 9 K), Ian Desmond (0-for-4, K).Bernadina is in a 1-17 slump and needs a rest. Ramos is starting tomorrow.Time for Davey to mix it up.

2. A DC Wonk - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Gonat said… sjm, from the 'benchings' you mention in the last post, these guys aren't in the starting lineup because of their history against Vazquez. Jayson Werth (3-for-24, 2 BB, 9 K), Ian Desmond (0-for-4, K).I don't know if it's history against Velasquez — it seems more like "current slump"Werth, Ian, Roger, Ramos went 0-for-12 last night.Conversely, everybody who had a hit last night (all three of 'em – oy!), plus Espi (who hit the ball hard) _is_ playing tonight.

3. Nats Outsider - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I hope everyone (well, everyone without a season ticket) is going to try to take advantage of the Nats' deal for the game against the Braves next Monday: $1 tickets $1 hotdogs$1 peanuts$1 popcorn$1 parking How can you stay home with a offer like that? (I will be in Section 409.)You can buy the tickets at the box office (open from 10:00 am all week). You can also buy them online at the Web site below, but then they add in service charges, bringing the total for two tickets to $6. http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/MLBEventInfo?agency=WSHNB2B61&pid=6952227&tfl=Washington_Nationals-Tickets-Ticket_Specials-na-b1

4. Falls Church Nats Nut - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I am taking my almost eight week old son to his first game tonight. Here's hoping that Livo and the revised lineup can take care of business tonight so that he can see (or sleep through) a win his first time out.

5. Sunshine_Bobby+Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Kid Flores behind the dish tonight. Don't forget to take your dramamine as the Marlins will be running circles around the bases tonight. This is a AAAA lineup if I ever saw one.

6. A DC Wonk - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Here's hoping that "Falls Church Nats Peanut" goes home tonight undefeated! ;-)

7. A DC Wonk - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Sunshine_Bobby+Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said…… This is a AAAA lineup if I ever saw one.Well, the _other_ lineup has been hitting AAAA the last few days . . .

8. Frediemac - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM

According to nat.com Gomes will wear #30 for the Nats

9. JaneB - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Oooof! Seven year old grandson going to the game expecting to see Ian Desmond make some double plays.

10. JaneB - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Hurrah for Falls Church Nats Peanut! You can't start 'em too early.

11. Anonymous - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I see this lineup and say. HAHAHAHAHA Bench maybe one of the guys but not everybody. Jesus Flores????? HAHAHAHA. Im headed for the redbox. HAHAHAHAHAHA

12. Pete - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:49 PM

What the hell. I paid for a two tickets to this game. CRAP.

13. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Let's go, NATS! Win one for the Peanut.

14. Mark'd - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I expect Gomes to pinch hit tonight. Nats need a win!

15. Grandstander - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Wish I saw the lineup before I headed to the park. Oh well, there's still plenty of dollar dogs to be had. Just glad I snuck in some vodka, I'll need it!

16. sunderland - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Don't know if this is old news, but Harper went 3 for 4 today in Bowie with a HR, Senators took 2 of 3 from the BoSox. Oliver Perez got the win 5 2/3, 6 hits plus 5 walks, but managed to get out only giving up 1 run.

17. JaneB - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Sunderland, how did Ollie look? He looked really rocky in the Spring, noticeably so. Is he repairing himself?

18. sunderland - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Remember a few things Davey said right after he started?I like having a set lineup. I'm gonna let the starters go deeper in games. We're not going to give away outs (sacrifice). Davey's seeing that reality does not conform to his wishes, and I guess we're seeing Davery conform to the reality he's working with.GYFNG

19. sunderland - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM

JaneB, I didn't make the day game in Bowie today, just checked the box score. But 11 baserunners in 5+ innings – he couldn't have looked too good. And the Eastern League is hitting .280 against him in 9 starts. So I'd say he's still a work in progress.

20. Gonat - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/denard-span-high-on-nationals-list.htmlSteveM mentioned this was the target a few days ago as Span was first on the list followed by Bourn.After some of the comments about concussions and recovery it is very scarey to think of the risk. The Twins have been playing without him and adjusted well so Span becomes expendable and they have dealt with this on Morneau so they may be hedging their bets to get quality from the Nats.I think it is a worthwhile gamble if Span passes the correct head scan and expert doctor's opinion.Now personally I would go wtih Bourn if you could get a contract extension negotiated upfront otherwise a 1 year deal really doesn't do much unless it is a stop-gap to a stud Minor Leaguer and I think most agree that Bryce Harper will play corner outfield.Thoughts?

21. A DC Wonk - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Pete said… What the hell. I paid for a two tickets to this game. CRAP.I almost never make game-to-game predictions. But I'll make one now:Pete, you're going to get a better game tonight than I got last night, no matter what the lineup is.As I write this, it's 0-0 in the first, which is already better than last night (when it was 1-0 after the top of the first)For all we know, we'll have the reverse lock going!

22. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Did I just hear Ray Knight say that Matt Stairs might catch on with a pennant contender?

23. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:23 PM

I don't mean to be contentious, but who goes to the park to see Ian Desmond? Bernadina, OK, there's the shark thing. And Werth getting a rest can't hurt, to be honest.

24. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Eugene, that wasn't the part that I rolled eyes at, it's the "might catch on with a contender looking for a good left-handed bat."

25. bups - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Just muted my TV-can't take anymore of Ray Knight and his motor mouth.

26. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Did we break the site?

27. crickets - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Nope.

28. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Whoa, I thought Hanley made it 3-0…….

29. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:09 AM

bups said… Just muted my TV-can't take anymore of Ray Knight and his motor mouth. July 27, 2011 7:56 PM __________________________Ray was praising Livan then Stanton smacked the HR and Ray tried to say it was a good pitch even after watching the replay.Ray is NEVER WRONG.

30. jeffwx - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Ray Knight the Silver Foxfollows the Nats tradition with Clark Griffith, long-time Senators owner, called the "Old Fox", also the first manager of the NY Highlanders (aka: the old NY Yankees).

31. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I really dislike this ump. Livan didn't get any close calls and that is the problem with Livan. Nibble nibble and 2 walked before Stanton and then walks Stanton to load the bases. Livan is pitching scared tonight.

32. CBinDC - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:19 AM

So again tonight before I can get home the game is lost ….I would laugh if I just had a good medication

33. SCNatsFan - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:21 AM

You think the team is making progress then you see a lineup like tonights and you realize we are still light years away from being relevant,And listening to Knight babble on as we get smoked again doesn't make it any easier.

34. Anonymous8 - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:22 AM

CBinDC, tough to watch Livan pitching like that. After he struck Cameron out and he seemed to let up. That was a shame as he could have left that inning 1-0 with the pitcher leading off the next inning.Lets hope for some Nats offense!!!!

35. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Laynce nix is doing great!

36. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:24 AM

There you go! Laynce Nix!

37. waddu eye no - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:25 AM

fcnn-keep the peanut away from the RF pole. laynce just sent one that way again. best game i ever went to was the first i took my daughter to. gyfng

38. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM

39. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Gonat said… Strange, Davey is about to pull Livan the inning before and then doesn't pinch hit for him with a man on 1st in the bottom of the same inning.I don't get Davey………. July 27, 2011 8:33 PM ___________________________5 minutes later and he has walked Bonifacio and infield hit to Infante.I called that one right. Back on you Davey. I love you Davey except these are costly errors in your judgment.

40. Chris in Virginia - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Brad Peacock no hitter against Columbus through five.

41. NatinBeantown - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM

No Upton in Tampa's lineup tonight, even though he's already had a day off this week.

42. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:13 AM

The Nats embody mediocrity. All year long. The only thing they excel at is talk. The entire Nats-MASN-NatsInsider talkplex keeps churning the hype. But the team is lousy. Snake-bit. When are we going to admit it–during the last game of the year?

43. CBinDC - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Really I had hopes that this year they would not return to the dead last, dead play, dead energy Nats of the last 6 years but those hopes are gone, now I just cling to the slight chance that someone will at least perform well enough to give me a reason to hope for a better next year …..But do I really have to suffer with the likes of Debbie Taylor asking the questions …..is there not anybody else out there??

44. bgib - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:15 AM

No Lombardozzi in Syracuse's lineup either.

45. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Sec 3, My Sofa @ 7:26 – Maybe Knight literally meant a bat, a wooden bat, as opposed to a hitter? Maybe Stairs knows a good source of left-handed bats? Ya think?More generally, I left to pick up the cat from the vet (she's fine, thank you), and I came back to find another disappointing deficit. Why does this all feel a bit like the movie "Goundhog Day"?

46. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Why do you listen to them (Ray and Debbie)? Put the radio on.

47. JaneB - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Sofa, my seven year old grand son, resident of Portland OR, goes to our stadium to see Ian Desmond. I'm just saying. And Ian prevents that two run shot tha Alex didn't get to. I'm just saying.Oh, Nats. Pick it up now!

48. CBinDC - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Well I like Ray ….but you can not get away from Debbie you hear the stupid questions she asks when they run replays in the various news sources

49. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Thank you Hanley Ramirez. Hard to believe he has 14 errors.

50. HHover - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Am I missing something – why did they pull Detwiler? He pitches once every 5+ days. If he's of any use at all, it's as a long reliever. Why not let him pitch this inning at least, then pull him for a pitch hitter?This really is getting not just unlistenable but unwatchable.

51. Anonymous8 - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Jack McKeon doesn't make a pitching change and lucks out. Unbelievable what happened with Cora's at-bat and then Zim robbed at the wall.

52. Exposremains - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Man I can't stand the marlins

53. CBinDC - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:44 AM

This is again the same damn story people on but someone can not get the right hit at the right time …..now we traded for a hitter who does not want to be here for just two months ….and he is only a .211 hitter

54. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Coffey 2nd inning of work. Davey WTF?????

55. JaneB - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Me neither, expos.

56. sunderland - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:48 AM

HHover, right on. Detwiler pitched July 9 (2.0), July 15 (2.0) and July 23 (2.2). Why could he not have gone at least three innings tonight? Isn't that why Davey is only using him once every 5 days?GYFNG

57. Anonymous8 - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Coffey just cannot work more than 2 batters and certainly not 2 innings. How long will it take Davey to know his bullpen? He didn't use the speed last inning to get Bernadina to 3rd in a possible double steal.Make something happen Davey!

58. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:51 AM

Eugene in Oregon said… Sec 3, My Sofa @ 7:26 – Maybe Knight literally meant a bat, a wooden bat, as opposed to a hitter? Maybe Stairs knows a good source of left-handed bats? Ya think? More generally, I left to pick up the cat from the vet (she's fine, thank you), and I came back to find another disappointing deficit. Why does this all feel a bit like the movie "Groundhog Day"?Not a left-handed cat, is it? Nevermind, if you're coming back from the vet it's probably injury-prone.

59. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Jane, I meant to that to ask the musical rhetorical question, who stays home because Ian Desmond isn't playing? But as you point out, that was OBE.

60. CBinDC - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:54 AM

This are very good points everyone is making……but the answers are not to be found ….why they have stopped most of the used car selling of the team on the broadcast …..whoops not yet there is Debbie about Mattheus family and his youth experiences …..why does that matter right now

61. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Here's what I am thinking. DFA Coffey on Friday or send HenRod back to Syracuse. Move Gorzo to long relief and Detwiler to 7th inning set-up or this "long set-up" that Davey seems to do in some games.Davey has to start to be accountable. Here the team got Ryan Zimmerman back and is playing the worst stretch of games this season.

62. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Is it me or is Ray Night a little quiet tonight? I think he has quit caring. Other than Ry Zimm, Morse and Lannan you could get rid of every stinking guy on this team right now. They are awful. I think every game should be 1 dollar night. Thats all they are worth. Mariners 17 in a row. WE ARE NEXT.

63. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Syracuse completes a combined 1 hitter win. Balester was shakey in relief. Our old friend Nick Johnson was on the opposing side and he looked lost at the plate.Nice 1 hit/no run performance by Peacock.

64. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Ray Knight quiet? Check your TV, he's been talking over the play all night on mine.

65. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Granted he's slowed down some over the past few innings, but just by staying awake through this game, he's outdone me.

66. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:06 AM

TV caption informed me that was an "unmolested" steal.

67. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Speaking of Seattle, guess who signed Wily Mo Pena to a minor-league deal?I guess that was too much of a hint, huh?

68. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Ray felt Cora had a great AB. Said that after he hit into a DP. What am I not understanding?

69. Natman - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:11 AM

@GoNat, you cannot send HRod to Syracuse, he has no options left. And DFA'ing Coffey is just dumb. The guy can pitch. The Rangers have a lukewarm interest in him. Rizzo thinks Detweiler is a starter, Davey just wants a good lefty, hence the disconnect. And you should have read all of this information here on NatsInsider many times in the past. Grrr, if you're going to complain or be an armchair GM at least know what you are talking about.

70. JaneB - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Why is Drew in? I wasn't paying attention.

71. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM

But now they're nattering on about what a good son Drew Storen is, and what great parents they must be for him to be so smart *and* athletic. So all you people whose kids didn't go to Stanford and play MLB, shame on you.Now they're asking what that is around Storen's neck. Geez. (It's a titanium necklace. So I guess he's not that smart after all.)

72. joNAThan - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM

until the Nats can compete with the Marlins, the Nats will be a last place team. This is damn ridiculous

73. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM

JaneB – Storen is now asking that very same question…

74. Exposremains - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:18 AM

75. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Jane, just because he needs the practice.

76. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Drew is in there to work on his knuckeball. Also, wouldn't want the game to look close in the box score.

77. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Eugene in Oregon said… JaneB – Storen is now asking that very same question… July 27, 2011 10:16 PM Post of the Night winner.

78. JaneB - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Ian in to third, standing. Good idea to not play him, Davey.

79. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM

80. JaneB - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Eugene, hilarious.

81. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Who *is* this Desmond guy? I'd pay to watch him play!

82. nationals7 - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:22 AM

I love day games during the week.. so, I'm going… I have no delusions about outcome. Really can't blame DJ.. its not a job he sought. Chemistry? Heart? skill? Who knows what's happened.

83. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Exposremains said… This team looks like they have nothing left. They're a long way from being the contender they think they are.Actually, it's been less than two weeks.

84. JaneB - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:29 AM

That Desmond guy betterr be in the line up tomorrow. I'm leaving the house to see him play! :-)

85. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Mr. Gomes. Paging Mr. J. Gomes. Please report to the on-deck area.

86. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM

I just heard that there was a "Clubhouse Closed" sign on the clubhouse entry door and all the media were stalled.There will probably be the same sign tonight and some chairs being thrown. Ryan Zimmerman, Morse and Nix are hitting and not many else.When the Nats had chances with men on base (other than the 9th), they couldn't score a run with a man on base. Then the bullpen fell apart once again with Coffey giving up 1 and Storen an ugly 2.This team wins on good starting pitching, manufacturing runs, stealing bases, and a shut down bullpen.Davey? What say you?

87. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Well, that was about 10 minutes of interesting.

88. CBinDC - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:36 AM

WHY CAN THE MARLINS HIT IN THIS PARK BUT WE CAN NOT ………at lot of noise signaling nothing

89. Oldguy - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Well, at least they made it interesting. A few more feet by Zim or Nix and it's a different outcome.

90. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Now you see what a bullpen going through the motions has cost this team again. That was an empassioned 9th inning that was soooo close.Nice to see. Maybe Davey won't be throwing chairs when he should be looking in the mirror.

91. JaneB - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Sooo close was fun. I'm glad Zimm was back being Zimm….

92. josh f - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Loved the fight in the 9th inning…we *just* missed out on another great comeback.

93. CBinDC - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Having Debbie Taylor ask questions is like having Paris Hilton at a Nobel press conference

94. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Espi is officially in a slump now too. Glad Davey moved him way back in the order. Wish he did that with Werth earlier in the season.Espi's swing looks good which is encouraging, just needs some good luck. I want to see him lay down a bunt or 2.

95. Mark'd - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:02 AM

No steals which has been a way for the Nats to make things happen as well as not pinch hitting for Livan in the 4th and Cora bunting were big in this. On Davey.

96. gonatsgo - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:52 AM

Was at the game tonight – spontaneous after work activity. This team looks flat- the manager makes numerous mis-judgements during the game. There are also many "huh" moments. Some of the guys staged a nice rally. There are no bunts to move runners – on base with no outs. There are no steals, there are no bunts for base hits. There is just nothing but a couple of guys swinging out of their shoes and lots of waiting around for a home run. The Marlins hit several.We stranded lots of runners and pitched weakly. A few of the guys did their jobs,got on base. Then — a big nada. You can see the difference in this team – there is just no energy – you can see it by the way they carry themselves that there is no spark or confidence. I have been watching on tv and following the west coast games – it was kind of shocking and sad to see in person. Go get 'em tomorrow guys! I would love to see them come out and take out their frustrations on the fish.