Jul 27, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jonny Gomes is available on the Nationals’ bench tonight.
Jonny Gomes arrived at Nationals Park Wednesday afternoon, still somewhat surprised at having been traded from Cincinnati to Washington, still unsure what role he will hold with his new club.
“We just kind of figured out what my number would be,” he said laughing, his Nationals No. 30 jersey hanging behind him. “We’ve still got to iron some things out. I’m just willing to do whatever it takes. … I just left the door open to [manager Davey Johnson] and let him know I’m ready when my number’s called. Whatever he’s got planned for me, I’m all right with it.”
Johnson himself is still trying to formalize his plan for Gomes, but it probably includes starts against left-handed pitchers, plus frequent pinch-hitting appearances late in games.
“I will communicate to him what I expect out of him, but it really goes back to players. It’s how you use them,” Johnson said. “Players are pretty smart. They can sense when they’re needed and what their role should be to help this ballclub win. It’s my job to figure out exactly what his role should be, where he’s going to be best-suited for himself.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent