Jul 27, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jonny Gomes is available on the Nationals’ bench tonight.
Jonny Gomes arrived at Nationals Park Wednesday afternoon, still somewhat surprised at having been traded from Cincinnati to Washington, still unsure what role he will hold with his new club.
“We just kind of figured out what my number would be,” he said laughing, his Nationals No. 30 jersey hanging behind him. “We’ve still got to iron some things out. I’m just willing to do whatever it takes. … I just left the door open to [manager Davey Johnson] and let him know I’m ready when my number’s called. Whatever he’s got planned for me, I’m all right with it.”
Johnson himself is still trying to formalize his plan for Gomes, but it probably includes starts against left-handed pitchers, plus frequent pinch-hitting appearances late in games.
“I will communicate to him what I expect out of him, but it really goes back to players. It’s how you use them,” Johnson said. “Players are pretty smart. They can sense when they’re needed and what their role should be to help this ballclub win. It’s my job to figure out exactly what his role should be, where he’s going to be best-suited for himself.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels