Jul 27, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jonny Gomes is available on the Nationals’ bench tonight.
Jonny Gomes arrived at Nationals Park Wednesday afternoon, still somewhat surprised at having been traded from Cincinnati to Washington, still unsure what role he will hold with his new club.
“We just kind of figured out what my number would be,” he said laughing, his Nationals No. 30 jersey hanging behind him. “We’ve still got to iron some things out. I’m just willing to do whatever it takes. … I just left the door open to [manager Davey Johnson] and let him know I’m ready when my number’s called. Whatever he’s got planned for me, I’m all right with it.”
Johnson himself is still trying to formalize his plan for Gomes, but it probably includes starts against left-handed pitchers, plus frequent pinch-hitting appearances late in games.
“I will communicate to him what I expect out of him, but it really goes back to players. It’s how you use them,” Johnson said. “Players are pretty smart. They can sense when they’re needed and what their role should be to help this ballclub win. It’s my job to figure out exactly what his role should be, where he’s going to be best-suited for himself.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Espinosa solid as Nats' temporary third baseman
- State of the Nats: Cardinals coming to town
- The Baseball Show: Things are turning up for the Nats
- Marlins in panic mode after poor start to 2015
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Denard Span's return felt 'like old times' for Nats
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale