Jul 27, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
Updated at 5:08 p.m.
The Nationals signed Stairs over the winter, hoping even at the age of 43 he could provide a potent bat off the bench. But the pinch-hitting specialist never got on track, beginning the season 0-for-16 and finishing with a .154 average (10-for-65 in 56 games).
Baseball's all-time leader in pinch-hit home runs with 23, Stairs recorded only one extra-base hit (a double) and two RBI with the Nationals. His lone contribution of significance came July 1 against the Pirates, when he roped a run-scoring single off the right-field fence to secure a 2-1, walk-off victory.
"He never got sharp, and we never really got him sharp," manager Davey Johnson said. "And he didn't have the kind of productionRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win