Jul 28, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals need to beat the Marlins today to avoid a series sweep.
We've got an extra-early, weekday matinee at Nationals Park today, and these are desperate times for the home ballclub. Losers of four in a row, they need a victory today against the Marlins to avoid falling 2 1/2 games out of fourth place in the NL East, not to mention just feeling a little better about themselves.
John Lannan takes the mound, riding a prolonged hot streak both on the mound and at the plate. Over his last 11 starts, the lefty is 5-1 with a 2.28 ERA, a span during which he's limited the opposition to a paltry .593 OPS. He's also got four hits (including a homer) in his last six at-bats.
Rookie left-hander Brad Hand starts for Florida, so Davey Johnson is stacking his lineup with right-handed hitters. Jerry Hairston is leading off in center field for the second straight day. And newly acquired Jonny Gomes makes his first start in left field.
Plenty of updates to come…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 12:35 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Partly cloudy, 91 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF
CF Jerry Hairston
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology