Jul 28, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals need to beat the Marlins today to avoid a series sweep.
We've got an extra-early, weekday matinee at Nationals Park today, and these are desperate times for the home ballclub. Losers of four in a row, they need a victory today against the Marlins to avoid falling 2 1/2 games out of fourth place in the NL East, not to mention just feeling a little better about themselves.
John Lannan takes the mound, riding a prolonged hot streak both on the mound and at the plate. Over his last 11 starts, the lefty is 5-1 with a 2.28 ERA, a span during which he's limited the opposition to a paltry .593 OPS. He's also got four hits (including a homer) in his last six at-bats.
Rookie left-hander Brad Hand starts for Florida, so Davey Johnson is stacking his lineup with right-handed hitters. Jerry Hairston is leading off in center field for the second straight day. And newly acquired Jonny Gomes makes his first start in left field.
Plenty of updates to come…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 12:35 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Partly cloudy, 91 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF
CF Jerry Hairston
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight