Jul 28, 2011, 2:50 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals need to beat the Marlins today to avoid a series sweep.
We've got an extra-early, weekday matinee at Nationals Park today, and these are desperate times for the home ballclub. Losers of four in a row, they need a victory today against the Marlins to avoid falling 2 1/2 games out of fourth place in the NL East, not to mention just feeling a little better about themselves.
John Lannan takes the mound, riding a prolonged hot streak both on the mound and at the plate. Over his last 11 starts, the lefty is 5-1 with a 2.28 ERA, a span during which he's limited the opposition to a paltry .593 OPS. He's also got four hits (including a homer) in his last six at-bats.
Rookie left-hander Brad Hand starts for Florida, so Davey Johnson is stacking his lineup with right-handed hitters. Jerry Hairston is leading off in center field for the second straight day. And newly acquired Jonny Gomes makes his first start in left field.
Plenty of updates to come…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 12:35 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Partly cloudy, 91 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF
CF Jerry Hairston
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)
- Nationals' asking price high on Storen, Clippard