Game 104: Marlins at Nats

Jul 28, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals need to beat the Marlins today to avoid a series sweep.

We've got an extra-early, weekday matinee at Nationals Park today, and these are desperate times for the home ballclub. Losers of four in a row, they need a victory today against the Marlins to avoid falling 2 1/2 games out of fourth place in the NL East, not to mention just feeling a little better about themselves.

John Lannan takes the mound, riding a prolonged hot streak both on the mound and at the plate. Over his last 11 starts, the lefty is 5-1 with a 2.28 ERA, a span during which he's limited the opposition to a paltry .593 OPS. He's also got four hits (including a homer) in his last six at-bats.

Rookie left-hander Brad Hand starts for Florida, so Davey Johnson is stacking his lineup with right-handed hitters. Jerry Hairston is leading off in center field for the second straight day. And newly acquired Jonny Gomes makes his first start in left field.

Plenty of updates to come…

MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 12:35 p.m.
TV: MASN
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Partly cloudy, 91 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Jerry Hairston
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Let's go, LannEn! Let's go, new guy! Let's go, NATS!!

2. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM

3. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Its a lefthander throwing so Bernie sits.

4. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:09 PM

The way the STOPPER's been hitting lately, maybe they should push him to lead-off…

5. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Anonymous said… Uh – Bernie? You know, Bernadina who is supposed to be our lead off guy and cf every day? What's up? It's not like Hairston tore the cover off the ball last night – and Bernie got on base as soon as he got in the game. And he has speed – wtf?Hello? Wanna pick up a "clue" card at the door?Bernadina is hitting below the Mendoza line (look it up if you don't know what that means) against lefties.

6. josh f - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Might be a matter of hours before there's a new name in that leadoff spot, anyway…

7. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Good-bye Drew.

8. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Any particular reason this game is starting at 12:35? Seems that the standard time for a day game has been 1:05 Monday through Saturday and 1:35 Sunday. Why is this one game different?

9. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I know this was reported before by someone else, but it sounds so good to my ears, I wanted to post it again:Brad Peacock carried a no-hitter into the eighth inning. He allowed no runs in seven innings on one hit and four walks, striking out seven

10. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Gee, thanks, DCWonk – surely Bernie is not the only National hitting below the mendoza line – and yes, I do know what that means. I was referring to the statement that Bernie was our confirmed everyday cf and lead-off for the rest of the season.Like many other statements – they seem to go astray often and quickly. And – are "clue" cards the promotion for today? – if so I better rush over to the park and get one since you are obviously the only poster who knows anything.

11. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Is there anything confirmed about Drew Storen or is it just hearsay at this point?

12. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Anon at 11:16, yep, strange start time and the Mets/Reds are doing the same.LannEn needs to show his best and help Davey.

13. Mickey Vernon - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Would somebody pleeeeze tell Ramos to stand closer to the plate?

14. gonatsgo - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM

mlb traderumor from yesterday afternoon states Drew Storen is not considered to be available. Steve M – LannEn needs to show his best and help his team.

15. P. Cole - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Earlier start means the Marlins can get out of town sooner (although I'm sure they'd like to stay.) Thank goodness.

16. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Mickey – make a sign and take it to the park?? And – make it in Spanish?

17. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM

P.Cole – yeah, but who is coming in next? It isn't going to get easier from here.

18. gonatsgo - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Seriously – no one at the office today. Definitely will be following gameday and NI during the game. Please post if you can watch!

19. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM

gonatsgo said… Steve M – LannEn needs to show his best and help his team. July 28, 2011 11:30 AM The fans are getting restless. Trust me, Davey needs this win real bad. Rizzo needs it bad. Zim's comments about the team are spot on.

20. Mickey Vernon - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Guess I'll have to make a sign. Eck is to busy looking at his notes.

21. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Anonymous said… Gee, thanks, DCWonk – surely Bernie is not the only National hitting below the mendoza line – and yes, I do know what that means. I was referring to the statement that Bernie was our confirmed everyday cf and lead-off for the rest of the season.He's been platooned a lot.And – are "clue" cards the promotion for today? – if so I better rush over to the park and get one since you are obviously the only poster who knows anything.Nahh — lots of people know that Bernadina is often platooned.

22. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Even Mario Mendoza did not bat below the Mendoza line for his career.

23. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I say if the STOPPER gets a couple of hits and maybe a walk, let him lead-off and play RF once a week to give Werth a day off and pinch-hit on other days…

24. UNTERP.NAT - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Or just convert him into a CF…

25. sjm308 - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I have not been posting as much as the depression sets it – just wanted to give props from the last post as it appears Davey has read some of our stuff and has moved Desmond to 7th which, if he can get on base, should make the stolen base or at least the attempt a reality. Natslady had it right, if he is 8th it makes the steal a lot more risky.I also want to thank DC Wonk for my new mantra, its not as bad as it looks when we are losing and its not as good as it looks when we are winning.This would be a nice win and get us ready for the Mets who have to be reeling a little as they have dumped Beltran yesterday and FRod a couple weeks earlier. I am staying away after seeing two brutal losses in person. Go Nats!!

26. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM

sjm308 – feeling a bit discouraged myself. Losing stinks. I am hoping that the guys find a nice spark today and get things going!

27. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM

what about trading one of our "plethora" of young arms for Span. instead of Storen? something like Solis and Milone for Span. that would be easier to swallow than Storen, even though I'm a huge advocate for Milone and really want to see him get called up as a Nat this fall.

28. Scott from Burke - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Sending Zimmerman in the 9th last night was so dumb..you do that in the 7th game of the world series and he gets thrown out it goes down as one of the biggest errors of judgment in the history of the game…DUMB

29. Mark'd - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:47 PM

And the leadoff batter slump continue.yes.

30. waddu eye no - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM

keep storen!!!!!!!gyfng

31. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM

No comment on my comment? Im wondering how people would feel about that trade. Something like Solis and Milone for Span or Solis and 1 of Lombardozzi/Marrero for Span…. Lannan is getting outs, but theyre all fly balls. Not a typical outing for him. I hope he can get his slider working before they start hitting HR's.

32. Feel Wood - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM

"David said… what about trading one of our "plethora" of young arms for Span. instead of Storen?"Here's the thing. If the Twins want Storen, they're not going to accept other players instead just because the Nats offer them. Clearly you don't understand how trading works. Where were you when I was in 6th grade? I would have loved to trade you my plethora of celery and carrots for your Hostess Twinkie, even though you were asking for my Snickers bar.

33. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM

34. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

This wasn't a figment of my imagination with Desmond not running. This goes to our earlier discussion on Desmond's running game and moving him up in the order to maybe utilize his speed more."There was a lot of things," Johnson said when asked what went into the decision to alter the bottom of his lineup. "Number one, I get more speed in front of (Ramos). I can run Desmond more often. (Ramos) has been struggling, Ramos, and but the main thing is that I've got some speed in front of him."I did a survey of my coaches on it and four of them agreed with me. There was one dissenter."

35. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I was hypothesizing in my previous post, by asking if Nats fans could stomach a trade like that. Maybe I was too busy learning big words in 6th grade to be concerned with trading your carrots for my hostess.

36. Scott from Burke - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Hostess Twinkie? I think we all know what a Twinkie is without the brand name..ask someone if they want a twinkie noone is gonna ask "A HOSTESS Twinkie?" There's only one…although I always prefer Ring Dings…by a wide margin.

37. SCNatsFan - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM

How unlucky are we that other pitchers always do their cy young imitation when facing us?Nah, can't be our bats. Has to be them.

38. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM

39. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM

David said… Wow. With the insult. Nice form there. I have two points. First off, how do you know it's Storen that the Twins are really interested in? MLB rumors are just that. Second off, we do have other pitchers besides Storen that are valuable, even though they havent hit the majors yet. Peacock/Milone/Solis. Why couldn't a trade include them? If not with the Twins, another team? July 28, 2011 1:22 PM David, in a losing streak, people are obviously more on edge. Don't worry about it. I know Bill Smith is looking to trade Span and certainly it is a back and forth with each suitor. The Twins have asked for a lot and I am sure Rizzo has told him what he is willing to give up.

40. yeesh - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM

welcome to grade school snacks insider

41. Feel Wood - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:38 PM

"First off, how do you know it's Storen that the Twins are really interested in?"Simple. Because the Nats are looking to acquire Span, not to unload Storen. Which means the rumored deal is going down like this:Rizzo: We want Span. What will it take to get him?Twins GM: Storen.Rizzo: How about someone else from our plethora of young arms?Twins GM: No. We want Storen.Rizzo: No. I guess this trade is still just a rumor, until I come up with someone else you might take.Twins GM: Glad to see that you understand how trading works, unlike that guy David.

42. Scott from Burke - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:38 PM

the ball slipped out of his hand..he never had a grip on it

43. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Haha Yeah I felt weird typing that. But I have always called tasty cakes by the brand name, not what was inside…. maybe cuz we had a kid on our high school baseball team who that was his nickname. Our school had that brand in all the snack machines…. and he was a bigger kid. Anyway. Back to baseball! I cant watch or listen cuz Im at work. At least Lannan finally got some grounders to get out of the jam in the 3rd without it being too damaging.

44. Exposremains - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

wow how predictable can they be? Gomes fits right in.

45. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

he rushed himself. oh well. the run wouldve scored anyway, according to Mark. wait did I see that on gamecast right, Werth with an RBI single with RISP? havent seen too many of those all year.

46. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

What was Werth thinking and what was Gomes thinking?Come on guys. It worked out for Werth swinging at a 3-0 but the guy (Hand) lost the strike zone and then Gomes swings at the 1st pitch and of course rolls over into a bases loaded inning ending double play.

47. RPrecupjr - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Ok, I don't usually comment during games, but WTF was Gomes thinking???? Seven of the previous eight pitches were balls, and before that Espi walked on four straight, why the %^*$&^$%&^% is not only swinging at the first pitch, but one out of the strike zone???? My 9-year-old daughter knows not to swing at the first pitch when the pitcher can't find the plate…..AND the bases are loaded with only one out. That just has me furious.

48. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

That sums it up better. Again, what were each one of them thinking?1:40 p.m. — Wow, I'm not even sure what to say about this. I'll just let the facts speak for themselves. Bottom of the third. Bases loaded. One out. Jayson Werth at the plate. Hand falls behind in the count 3-0. Werth then swings at the 3-0 pitch and pops it up behind first base. The crowd starts booing. Then the ball falls in between three Marlins fielders, just inside the foul line. A run scores and Werth reaches on an RBI single. Then Jonny Gomes grounds into a 4-6-3 double play on the first pitch he sees. After all that, it's now 1-1 after three.

49. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Are you kidding me???? We get lucky with Werth who has no business swinging 3-0. And then Gomes swings at the first pitch after this guy has thrown like 1 strike in 8 pitches. If that call came from Davey he should be fired after this game. If that was Gomes choice then he should be released right now!!!!! AHHHHHHH I can't believe it!!!!!!! BRING BACK RIGGLEMAN

50. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM

i have no problems with Werth jumping on a pitchers mistake. id rather see him be aggressive than stare at more pitches. but Gomes… thats definitely frustrating.

51. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Oh I thought it was a clean single. Hard to tell on things like that using Gamecast. I'm less impressed by Werth's single now…

52. Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM

dang. For a post or two there I thought we might get Natsjack back.

53. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM

David, Werth swung at a 3-0 that wasn't center cut and popped it up. It should have been the 2nd out. It was stupid in that situation for a struggling batter. It worked out but doesn't mean it was smart just like Zim being waved home in the 9th last night.Sanches was up and throwing in the bullpen when Werth came up. They had Hand on the ropes and Werth the veteran let him off the hook when you consider making Hand throw more pitches. Gomes just did something I haven't seen since Acta was at the helm. No excuses on that.

54. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Gomes?????????????? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

55. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM

sjm308 said… I also want to thank DC Wonk for my new mantra, its not as bad as it looks when we are losing and its not as good as it looks when we are winning.Hey — thanks for the shout out. I learned that many years ago — from Boswell (back when was a good baseball writer consistently). It sure saves wear and tear on one's psyche. And it has the benefit of being true.Take the Marlins. They were 9 games over .500, then went 1-19 (!!). 6 weeks later, after a 14-2 drubbing, they went on a 9-1 tear.At least the Nats haven't whipsawed us like that this year. Yowza — I'd hate to go through a 1-19 streak!Baseball seasons always have good streaks and bad streaks.

56. Exposremains - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM

There's no team that I hate more than the Marlins but they are so much better than the Nats. Very sad

57. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Sec 3, My Sofa said… dang. For a post or two there I thought we might get Natsjack back. July 28, 2011 1:48 PM Its stupid posts like this that gets the comments a step closer to WaPoNJ.

58. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM

…And then Gomes swings at the first pitch after this guy has thrown like 1 strike in 8 pitches. If that call came from Davey he should be fired after this game.That's a good laugh. You think the manager has a sign for "swing on the first pitch!"You're really reaching for those criticisms . . .

59. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Is this "International Nationals Pitchers Struggle" week or something. Seems pretty official to me. Come on BATS!!!!!

60. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM

The leadoff walks have really cost LannEn. Cameron is under .199 and he made 3 walks on the day so far for LannEn freebies.

61. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Wonk, it is easy for the Anon(s) to make stupid comments. I thought he was trying to be funny but heck, you never know if Anon was really serious.

62. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM

steve m. thanks for the info. my first post was a reaction to what i saw on gamecast before MarkZ posted about what actually happened. i had no idea it was basically ball 4 and he popped it up. that is a terrible decision! agreed.

63. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM

David, many times the 3rd base coach will give the "take" sign on a 3-0. You would think you wouldn't have to give that to a veteran like Werth just in case he got a center cut fastball to drive. When he swung so off balance you could only think to yourself "WTF"?!?!?

64. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:07 PM

65. SCNatsFan - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Nats can't even win when the other team is trying its hardest to give us a win.I still believe a major problem with this team is it has no leader, at least to the public eye. Guys cashing paychecks and saying 'aw shucks' when they hit into another rally killing DP. Everyone thinking this team is a good team that has gone cold, not thinking we are a terrible team that had a good streak.Just frustrated as we watch another pitiful season of baseball as presented by our Washington Nationals.

66. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:14 PM

There goes Bo Porter or someone in the dugout calling for the steal with an apparent brain fa*t stealing with 2 outs with Desmond already in scoring position.As I write that, LannEn walks another leadoff…

67. RPrecupjr - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Ok…..why was Desmond stealing third with TWO OUTS????Never make the first or third out at third base…I learned this in friggin Little League

68. Nick - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM

69. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM

David said… yeah im well aware of that. i played baseball all through high school. but different coaches have different styles. some preach swinging on 3-0 if its a meat ball down the middle. so thats what i meant by my earlier post. i have no problem with Werth hitting a clean single on a meat ball pitch on 3-0, if that was the case. but it wasn't. it was a bad pitch and a bad swing. he should know better. July 28, 2011 2:07 PM Feel Wood had you painted as the village idiot. I wasn't trying to add to that just that it was such a head scratcher that goes with Desmond stealing 3rd with 2 outs.

70. gonatsgo - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Checking on the game between meetings – score looks close but Lannan's pitch count is high – is he battling? Lines don't look exactly great for either team. Thanks, Mark for your concise updates – they help. I hope they don't wait until the 9th to start a rally today.

71. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Nick said… BTW, Has anything been said during the telecast last night or tonight about Pudge's ETA back to the ballclub? Live out of state so I never get the Nats Extra stuff. Thanks! July 28, 2011 2:23 PM Pudge was in Miami and rehabbing with a specialist on the type of injury he has.

72. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:31 PM

gonatsgo, if LannEn didn't get double plays, he would be toast. Not a great start.It would look much better if he helped himself and his offense helped him.I am sure he will be pinch-hit for when his turn comes up next.

73. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Mike Stanton= Nats KillerLaynce Nix = Marlins Killers – not in the lineup.

74. SCNatsFan - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM

For awhile there I felt if the Nats could just keep things close then we'd have a chance to win; now I'm back to the feeling that if the other team scores first – and it seems they almost always do – then we are toast. You have to think that the players might feel the same way no matter what they publicly say. Losing becomes a habit.

75. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Well even a quicker exit for LannEn. Can't get the 3rd out.

76. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Way to go Sean Burnett. Faces the 1st 2 batters in relief and gives up another inherited run. This is beyond frustrating.

77. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM

This Nats team will have trouble winning 70 games.

78. Bigfish - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:47 PM

79. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Well FeelWood must be having a bad day at the office. He doesn't know me… hey Gomes finally got on base! that's the way to take one for the team.

80. Nick - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Thanks! Steve M….That is the last I had heard too. Thought maybe they may have said something more since he left the club Friday. Could use Pudge's energy back in the dugout at least. Things are getting out of hand.

81. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM

The mistakes in this game are adding up1) Too many walks by Lannan2) Werth swinging on 3-0 that wasn't center cut3) Gomes swinging on 1st pitch with 1 out bases loaded with pitcher in trouble4) Espinosa fielding error5) Double steal with 2 outs gets Desmond at 3rd6) Burnett gives up consecutive hits to score another inherited run7) Lannan doesn't look back runner on 3rd on a bunt right back to him, then scores on throw to 1st

82. Mark Zuckerman - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Bigfish said…Does anyone have any figures on how many inherited runners Burnett has allowed to score? He must lead the league in that ratio. Another example of why ERA is completely irrelevant for relief pitchers.Burnett has now allowed 17 of 36 inherited runners to score this season. That's not good.

83. Steve M. - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Mark, not good? Its horrible. Last year Burnett was 13 of 49 last year for comparison and Rizzo rewarded him with a 2 year contract!

84. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:58 PM

It's Camp Day at Nats Park – buses parked everywhere, including double parked.Kid calling home: "Hi Mom. I got sick at camp today."Mom: "Are you homesick?"Kid: "Nah. They took us to a Nats game."Mom: "Did you eat too many hot dogs and cotton candy?'Kid: "Mom! They. Took. Us. To. A. Nats. Game."

85. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:00 PM

now lets see if Davey has learned his lesson. HRod is not effective in his 2nd inning. so he better pull him out!

86. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Hoo Boy. When is Davey going to lower the boom on these losing prima donnas and show whose team this is?Bo Porter? He's got to go. He is baseball stupid. That ridiculous, ill-timed double steal in today's game is proof that 1. Porter is an idiot 2. That this is not yet Davey's team.Any junior select youth coach knows not to Ever make the third out at third base. Proof that this is not Davey's team is the nerve of Porter to put that stupid play on in the first place. Video showed Davey's concern when addressing it (arms waving) to Porter in the dugout.Lastly about Porter. How many times this year have we seen Nationals runners on third break for home on a ground ball — and to the left side no less? and of course, get out by 20 feet. Again, any good youth coach knows runners need to "freeze on a line drive; break if the ball goes through."Yes, Porter and his lack of skills has GOT TO GO.Werth: What is making me think Werth is a malcontent who owns the clubhouse and talks trash about authority? He didnt make life easy for Riggs and I suspect he is working behind the back of Johnson too. Hey why not? He has a multi-year 126 million dollar, guaranteed, no cut contract. So who owns the team, Johnson or Werth? I say, for now, it's Werth.Prediction: Within days, if not hours, Davey is going to explode and take this team as his own. Primadonnas who dont listen will soon get the message. Those Primas are these: Werth, Espinosa, Desmond, Nix, and Marquis.

87. Wally - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Well, it sure is testy in here today. Maybe I'll try to change the atmosphere by offering some things that I would like to see:I would like to see the Nats add some runs here on a Morse homerI would like to see Henry Rodriguez hit a Marlin squarely between the numbers next inningI would like that Marlin to be Emilio BonafacioI would like to see the Nats sign all their draft picks, including PurkeI would like Jonny Gomes to get a key hit sometime today

88. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM

The Clairvoyant One said… "Hoo Boy."After that, his post was all crap.

89. Exposremains - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I'm so upset that I'm gonna say something crazy, Werth will hit a 3run homerun.

90. Exposremains - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:15 PM

close enough…

91. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:18 PM

how was Werths single this time? less flukey?

92. NatinBeantown - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Say what you want, that was a helluva at bat by Werth.

93. Wally - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Werth – solid line drive up the middleI would like Bob Carpenter to take a few days off instead of FP.I also would like Ray to stop talking, even just for a little while. It is not making watching this better.And I would like Wilson Ramos to please move a little closer to the plate. Pretty please.Ahem, Henry, I am waiting.

94. SCNatsFan - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Probably not alot of people rushing out to buy Gomes jerseys at this moment

95. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM

HRod has been completely ineffective in his second inning of work this year. Why did Davey send him out again? Grrrr leadoff walk. Pay attention to the trends Davey!!!

96. Wally - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM

HRod throws 7 out of 9 pitches for balls. McCatty out to talk, HRod won't even look at him. Body language oozes "I know, I know", body activity calls it a lie. Finally, a flyout

97. Mark'd - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Does Davey want to win? HenRod for a 2nd inning?

98. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Here we go again. What should stay a close game….

99. Wally - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Btw, Hideki Irabu found dead; suicide suspected

100. Wally - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM

And in their continuing effort to acquire troubled ex-Nats, Brewers just traded for Felipe Lopez. I hear Dukes is next

101. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Johnny Gomes can go. Under Davey this has become a terrible team. Ry Zimm And Morse deserve better. Zimm is hitting because he is taking what the pitcher gives him and going with it. Too many guys trying to homer. We can not expect to improve picking up guys batting .215. I am so pissed off anymore I can't see straight.

102. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Third out: Amusing.Fifth run: Not so much.

103. bigfitzva - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Anyone else who attended last night's game feel that Davey Johnson owes them a refund check for the lineup he ran out there ???

104. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Sec 3 my sofa….. I really do just shake my head reading some of this stuff.I'm waiting to see what we do between now and Sunday both on field and trade wise. I haven't given up on the original thought that this team could approach .500 but something needs to happen to get them out of this overall team slump.

105. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM

New drinking game – drink every time Ray Knight says" Davey" with total adoration.You would be toasted by the seventh inning stretch. The booth today is just a great big meeting of the old-guy-managers man-crush society. That – and if Ray Knight was the manager we would be headed for the world series. On another note – why HRod for a second inning? That guy is an adventure. Sean Burnett- ugh. Glad to see Werth with a good solid hit, Zim's hitting is a thing of beauty.

106. gonatsgo - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM

bigfitzva – yes

107. masnstinks - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM

swami – Interesting that you should say that – I was kind of thinking that during the "great coaching purge", Eckstein might be gone and Ray Knight might be called in. You are correct about Knight and his obvious devotion.

108. sjm308 - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I have been trying DC Wonks mantra but you know what, losing stinks!!Along with losing not being very much fun, it also brings out the FIRE RIZZO, FIRE DAVEY, FIRE WERTH, FIRE BO PORTER,Anons of the world. hell we might as well fire the ball boys while we are at it. If I may bring up one criticism that I have mentioned before, I really dislike when Davey brings HRod out for a 2nd inning. When is he going to read our posts? I have tried to be much more polite than I was that day I got upset about Duke Snider vs. Sandy Kofax. Hope everyone is enjoying themselves but its not much fun when your team is doing poorly.At least the early game got me out in the garden early and then to the gym before 11. Rest of the day, not so good. Did get a laugh out of the camp comments.Go Nats!!

109. gonatsgo - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Did I just read correctly that someone who posted anon thinks Laynce Nix and Danny Espinosa are prima donnas? I can see maybe Werth, maybe Marquis – I scratch my head at Desi and the other two. I have not seen their demeanor suggest anything other than hard work, a desire to win and team-first attitudes.

110. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Bonifacio owes his former team a nice gift for helping him continue his streak.

111. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM

The cadaver, Davey Johnson, is about to go 9-17. Way to go Rizzo!

112. nationals7 - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Baseball sin.. I left the game. Too damn hot and depressing.

113. pos anon - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM

On a positive note, Werth seems to be coming around. Take the good news where you can find it. A positive development…

114. Feel Wood - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM

"David said… yeah im well aware of that. i played baseball all through high school. but different coaches have different styles. Steve M said…Feel Wood had you painted as the village idiot."I said David doesn't know how trading works, and I stand by that. Just because he may have played the game doesn't mean he knows anything about player deals and other GM-level stuff. But AFAIK, aside from that David could be a genius.Steve M OTOH is a condescending, holier-than-thou name-dropper. That's for sure. He may also be the village idiot. Only time will tell.

115. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Mark'd said… Does Davey want to win? HenRod for a 2nd inning? July 28, 2011 3:28 PM _____________________________Last week SteveM thought that Davey needed more defined roles for the bullpen. I think it goes further than that. I think it is Davey is lost and McCatty isn't helping him.When runs are precious, why send out HenRod for that 2nd inning when you had Clip ready to go?

116. pos anon - Jul 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM

On an unrelated note, are the Nats regressing defensively under DJ? Is there emphasis on defense before the game still in place?

117. sjm308 - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Do we have any anons who post 1. anything positive2. anything that actually adds to the knowledge of baseball fans3. posts during winning streaks?I am sure its more than one person and I am sure some are just not sure how to enter a witty name like sunshine bobby but it sure seems easier to me to rip someone if you don't put a name to your post. I also realize this has been over talked before but since I am in a bad mood with this losing streak I thought I would bring it up again. I do appreciate those who rip whoever they want to rip when they put a name up. It just seems a little more courageous even if I don't agree with their thoughts. I have Charlie and Dave on after maybe 1/2 inning of Ray Knight. About the only thing I could think of that would be worse is having Debbie Taylor do play by play or color. When its not good, folks, its not good.On our roster, has Detwiler been sent down for tomorrow? I heard that Gorzo will move to the bullpen and that Davey might go with a 6 man rotation if there are no trades but that was purely rumor.

118. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Feel Wood, SteveM gave the place and time during the Cardinals series when he was going to be in town. I was with him and so were others from here that met up. It was fun watching a game with him. When we were on the field during BP which he arranged, a bunch of the players came over to him like they knew him. I don't think he brags or drops names. If you know it, you say it.Makes the point on Desmond this morning and stealing bases and Davey moves him up this afternoon to get him running. Sure it was a coincidence. ;-)You may not like what he says, but when was the last thing you came up with that wasn't written somewhere else?Easy to criticize David and others from the cheap seats.

119. David - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Sorry FeelWood. Apparently asking hypothetical questions to judge a fanbases willingness to trade certain prospects versus trading a young major leaguer (Storen) means I know nothing about how trades work :-)

120. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Mark Z. @ 4:00 – I hear you. If this were a golf tournament, both teams would be docked a stroke for slow play.

121. masnstinks - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:12 PM

No matter who you like or don't like in the fo or manager's seat – you do have to admit that the team has regressed, especially defensively and that the games are generally moving from play to play, inning to inning in a very disjointed way. Things are just not clicking on this team and – for whatEVER reason – things are just not good.You can lose and play good ball – just get beat, but this is not the case – the team is not playing well as a unit even when an individual does well. Very out of sync. You what though – this could be our first sweep at home this year and that's not terrible. Zim is just raking.

122. Mark'd - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Gonat/David, I agree with both of you. Losing streaks do suck.

123. Gonat - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM

That was ugly. A lot of good plays and a lot of head scratchers. To all a good night.

124. NatinBeantown - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Yikes. This group needs a day off.But since we're emoting: many of us remember the post last year where the Anon formerly known as Peric was (quite politely) asked by this site's host to go easy on the comments. Perhaps even take a break. About a week later, the comments (obvious in tone and language) came back as Anonymous. It's a tawdry affair.Much like this baseball game.

125. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM

HRod just cannot go more than one inning. Mark is correct as usual about that. And now a hot Mets team coming into town.

126. NatinBeantown - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Now let's regroup and then go sweep the damn Mets, whom are despised even by their own mothers.

127. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

If Henry Rodriguez is on your roster, you're not serious about winning.

128. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Davey Johnson's postgame interviews are absolutely terrible. He does not appear to have any idea what he is doing with this team. I'm sorry -I know it bothers a lot of you to have people criticize the guy – I feel that he is just lost.He may have said that the missed sign was his responsibility, but everything else he said in the interview put the blame on everyone else. Again – just my feeling about it. Not expecting everyone to agree.

129. Mickey Vernon - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

130. masnstinks - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I think this team is in a strange place right now. Not close enough to the end to coast, not far enough under .500 to give up on it. We know they can play really well. But – some changes probably need to be made. Is this just a matter of riding things out? Is this just one of the ups and downs of a season – or a sign of serious problems? Is it the managing?I have watched a lot of baseball in my life and this team is a puzzle to me.

131. sunderland - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Was at the game, not sure what was shown on TV. When Lannan hit Stanton, umpire was concerned it might have hit him in the head. Stanton was jogging to first, tapped his shoulder and indicated it the ump that he was fine. Lannan must have same something reasonable to Stanton because I could see Stanton waving at him also, letting him know he was fine and everything was cool.I really liked this.Way too often there is over-reacting and machismo overflowing at an HBP, and this was just kind of how normal guys would react to this.And then later of course, Stanton went yard.

132. gonatsgo - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Just got home to see Lannan on the post-game. Sometimes you forget how young these guys are and how hard they are trying. What a stand-up kid. I think this has been quite a challenging season for them in a lot of ways. Most of these guys are just really good, hardworking young men – I really feel for them – very frustrating. McCatty seems like a baseball-smart, mature leader for the pitchers. I a SOOOO glad I don't have his job…

133. nicefellow31 - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Well this is depressing. Nats are tanking just in time to be ignored by the local media because the Redskins are openning training camp. BTW, I got my Redskins season tickets yesterday and I'm starting to lose interest too. Sigh GYFNG

134. Anonymous8 - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Back from the game. How sad, HenRod=Josh Willingham. HenRod has to be the guy optioned to AAA tomorrow and Gorzo to the pen and Detwiler to set-up. Hmm, where did I read that.Steve M., my friend, keep on trucking. I've said it before that you are either lucky or bad luck follows you because you say it and it becomes true or Amanda Comak writes about it ie Jason Marquis game start winning percentage, etc. Don't let Feel Wood get you down. It was nice of you to stick up for David so Feel Wood had to attack you. Childish stuff with possibly some jealosy.

135. Anonymous8 - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM

@Anonymous said… If Henry Rodriguez is on your roster, you're not serious about winning. July 28, 2011 4:29 PM Not sure about that, using him incorrectly causes problems, thats for sure. That wild pitch for a loss and other mishaps. Not sure what Davey saw. 1st batter in his 2nd inning of work he walked on 4 pitches that weren't close.He has to go to Syracuse.

136. Exposremains - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM

From what I remember, Rodriguez has no options left

137. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Precisely. Rodriguez has no options. He can't be sent down to Syracuse without first clearing waivers.He is, however, much better served if he'd accept going back to the minors. He has no future as a major leaguer without some more serious time in the minors.

138. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

For a lot of the season our starting pitchers and bullpen were winning games for us – all those low scoring, one run games. Now they are struggling – time for the offense to pick them up. We lost 5 games in a row earlier in the season and then had a nice winning streak. Maybe there is another good streak yet to come.

139. Anonymous8 - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

@Mickey Vernon said… This team was in the Zone and ran off 11 of 12. Then Rigglemen, the losingest manager since 1901, quit on them. Psychologically they haven't been the same since. Trades aren't going to solve this problem, especially if they deal off character guys like Clip and Storen, or bring in negative influences like BJ Upton. July 28, 2011 4:37 PM They seemed to be fine for 2 of the 3 games after Riggleman left so that doesn't hold water.Davey seems lost in the moment sometimes. I did see him chew out Bo Porter after IDes tried to steal 3rd. Does Davey hit the boiling point today? Big thing is the starting pitching is laying down. Not the same starting pitching we had gotten used to. Espy is slumping. Bernadina is slumping. Ramos is slumping. Werth has been in a year long slump. There is no leadoff runners getting on base to start games and everyone that bats leadoff has gone into a slump.

140. masnstinks - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I, for one, will be glad when the trade stuff is done so that we know where we stand. If Marquis is gone, we adjust,if Clip is gone, we adjust. We have to see how Wang does, too. Maybe when some of the dust settles, some moves can be made to help the team move on in the season. It seems like every year at this time, people are holding their breath – last year it was Dunn. Lots of uncertainty is tough.

141. Anomymous8 - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:05 PM

@Exposremains said… From what I remember, Rodriguez has no options left July 28, 2011 4:57 PM He has less MLB time than Stammen. Why do you think that is the case?

142. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Annonymous8 — those games that we won after Riggleman left – were managed by McClaren — I think he is the one who is actually missed the most. It was obvious that he was respected and that he knew every little thing about the players. He was very upset at not being allowed to finish the season, too. He had that quality that is hard to quantify – he was a leader and this team was happy to follow him.I know it's water under the bridge, but I just wonder what things would be like if McClaren had kept the team and the rest of the coaching staff could have been kept stable. I keep hoping that the team and the manager will start to form a good relationship – respecting someone and being inspired them is just not something you can make happen just because you signed a contract. I hear some of the guys say they like Davey and call him a good baseball man — all the right words, but the chemistry doesn't seem to be happening.

143. Anonymous8 - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:21 PM

baseballswami, I am a big Davey guy. Just not sure if time has passed him by. Jack McKeon is older than him and really managed his bullpen and his guys create offense. Davey just is not managing his bullpen. Last night he went with Storen in a potentially meaningless spot and Storen doesn't perform well in those spots. Those 2 meaningless runs turned out to be biggies. Coffey is not doing it. Henry Rodriguez is hitting 96 now and not getting the 99+ right now. Davey has just overused these 2 guys to the point where they are hurting this team.

144. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Anonymous8 – very cool that you get that it's not a personal attack on a guy with a great baseball past. I heard some of the mlb guys the other day talking about ways in which the game has changed – less runs , more pitching for example. He was a great guy in the past but I also am not sure that he is getting it – the game,the team, yes – especially the pitching stuff. I feel even though he was a nl guy, he might like the al better. I keep waiting for things to click. Very odd that on paper this should be working.

145. Anonymous8 - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:34 PM

baseballswami, for any of us that were starved for baseball and saw him take that joke franchise up I295 to the last winning season and playoffs they have had know he is good at what he does.Is it he doesnt know the players or his competition.I am still optomistic if you can believe that!

146. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=425545Josh Willingham is still on a full season pace of 100 RBIs. He hit a nice double today in the clutch for a RBI.When I see this MPHRod is the trade equivalent of Willingham, I want to throw up.

147. FS - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

at least our draft pick would be protected next season. :Dpeople who are upset at Willingham for HRod trade, I can understand why but the dude was injured too many times. besides HRod has time to correct himself. we have him for four years.

148. MikeD - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Davey Jonson is so underwhelming as a manager.

149. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Rizzo — good job.Trades Willingham — enough said.Pays a lifetime .265 hitter 8 mil. to hit .190 Doesn't discipline Marquis when he totally disses Riggs — wait to go.Keeps Lambardozzi in the bushes when Desmond is stinking up the place with horrible defense — and enemic hitting — and empty headed plays of various sorts.Last but not least: trades two hugely productive minor leaguers for a lifetime .245 strikeout artist, outfielder currently hitting .211.The Reds dumped Gomes to make room for a minor leaguer of their own. What does Rizzo do? Gives them two quality minor leaguers and takes Gomes off the Reds hands. The philosopy of the GM of the Reds and Rizzo are at polar opposites. We'll see who got the better of that deal.In gambling, there are bettors who stick to the percentages — only these types of guys are the "Action Bettors" who just bet because they like the action.Me Thinks Rizzo is an "Action Gm:" He trades for the action, not on the percentages.We need a grownup to run this ball club, not a guy who thinks he's playing fantasy baseball.

150. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:00 PM

So I rearranged stuff to be at work 6:00 instead of 3:30 so I could go to the game. Long, hot game.Impressions:1) Ryan Z is in terrific shape. He runs, he jogs, he bounces around before innings. Whatever conditioning program he has, everyone should have it!2) Henry R canNOT go two innings. Period.3) Werth took a great at-bat. His first single was funny to watch because he and the Marlins and everyone else in the park thought for sure it was a foul ball, so three guys let it drop, and it was fair. But the second single was great, he really worked for the pitch he wanted, and then a nice hit. PLEASE do that more, and people will not trash the bobblehead.4) Lannan was trying, and trying hard. Felt bad when he couldn't make it work.5) It was hot, and I think that's why the ball slipped out of guys' hands and gloves. 6) Why does Hanley Ramirez play well against us, and when did Bunny-facio learn to play baseball??????7) Love the Box Frites, but they were not a good idea today, the salt got to me…No matter how bad it is, I would rather be at the park on a hot summer day than cooped up with snow drifts and ice outside.

151. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM

To Mike D: Yes, Davey is underwhelming. Maybe the game as passed him by — ala Joe Gibbs.Nevertheless, I have to agree with another anon who posted that Davey doesnt seem in charge yet. I agree. He doesnt appear to be in charge yet. I am hoping for a volcanic response to the team's output by Davey — and only then will team begin to improve.Anyone can say whatever they want about Riggleman, he was a winner with this group of mediocre ball players.

152. JaneB - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM

sunderland, we were also at the game, and commented on how Lannan seemed to apologize to Stanton. It was nice. Civilized. Fans were NOT in the game today, at least not the ones younger than 10. That was disappointing. I know it wasn't a great game, but we stayed in it till the end. Oh, well.Agreeing with everyone who wishes Davey knew the New Baseball. Also, not to put HRod out there for more than one inning, even if it's a short (for him) inning. Werth really looks different at the plate to me. That play Mark described above was a head scratcher if ever there was one. But it was great, anyway. My favorite moment was Zimm's terrific hit in the beginning of the game. He made some great catches, too.Wish I knew what could get these guys out of their funk. It's like whatever point of focus they had, whatever was a coalescing force among them, is somehow gone. Like the center is missing, somehow.

153. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Everyone has to but Lannan a break. This year, Lannan is a Uber overachiever. Lannan would be hard pressed to be the 4th starter on a contender. Marquis would be lucky to be a number 4 on a contender.Livan wouldnt be allowed to pitch on a contender — period. He's a joke.Zimmerman, well, he's the real deal.Gorzelanny: see ya, big guy. the minors is all that is left for a pitcher like you.Bullpen: aside from Burnett — and the very recent collapse of HRod's control, it has been lights out all season.So, let's give Lannan and the rest of the staff a break — they have been Over Achieving since May 15. No where to go but — Down.Next year: Strasburg, Zimmerman, Peacock, Millone, and hopefully, a solid free agent.Every other starter can wave bye bye and know that we Nats fans appreciate their super human efforts for a couple of months.

154. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:14 PM

To JaneB: Could that "coalescing" feeling the players had as you described it be attributed to Jim Riggleman and his staff?Just a thought.

155. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:29 PM

It's nice that although we are in a 5 game losing streak the comments this afternoon are pretty much thoughtful and rational – I guess the hotheads got upset and left. Natslady – agreed very much so – especially Ryan Zimmerman – I feel like he is finally feeling good – still think he came back too soon, and too hard. His hitting is looking really good -nice play to get a runner at home today, too. janeB – good wording on the center being missing – I have noticed a lot of posters that just can't quite put their finger on things. Werth got a lucky hit and then got a real good one. Nice to see. In general, I feel like 1 through 4 in the lineup have been consistent – if we can add Jayson at 5 and then make that contagious, maybe we will be in the scoring business. Need a nice streak to start climbing back up – sometimes we actually play better against tough teams. Even though the Marlins were in the basement – they are really riding a streak right now and we got them while they were hot.

156. Wally - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM

This has been a pretty awful stretch, no doubt. Kind of one of those stretches where Rizzo does something rash and issues one of his 'I got tired of watching him pitch' comments. He probably needs to suppress that urge, understandable as it may feel.Which brings me to Span. I am probably president of his fan club. Makes sense for the club; his skills fit absurdly well for the club, too, in really all respects. Young, fast, great D, high OBP, controlled for several years. But here is the thing: they shouldn't do this now. You have to pay a lot for that kind of guy, whether it is Storen, Clip or someone else that we really like a lot. and there is no justifiable reason to do it before you know for sure that he is over the concussion.I guess aybe if you think someone else grabs him, but I don't see that happening. Most other buyers are looking for a slugger.This is an offseason deal.

157. m20832 - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:21 PM

My daughter and I were at the game yesterday in section c behind homeplate. My daughter was wearing a black armless shirt and the sun just had its way with her shoulders and arms.It was just so freakin' HOT! Even when the clouds came in. I sweated through my Espinosa teeshirt three times.RZimm is back! Four hits and some real nice catches. Werth hits two (one was very lucky) and LannEn pitched his usual pretty good game. It was funny on Werth's second hit. There was a guy in B section that was yelling for Werth the dirty smelly hippy to go back to filthidelphia. Then Werth hits the line drive over the second baseman's glove driving in RZimm. Shut that guy up! Luved it!I was complementing the ump all afternoon on his calls. His strike zone was a little low, but he was fair about it calling it for both teams.But when Clippard threw the inside pitch (I forget the batters name and it was a strike), he said something and turned around to go back on the mound, the umpire blew up and started yelling at Clip, it got real quiet, everybody expected Clip to be ejected. I yelled as loud as I could "Hey ump, the game isn't about you! Get your butt back behind the plate!" The umpire actually stopped hands on hips, looked like he was thinking about something, turned around and came back behind the plate.Another thing around the fifth-sixth inning, I looked to my right and saw Lerner's head bobbing up and own and the next thing he was sleeping. If the owner of the team is that bored with the game, maybe he ought to do something that would make the team a little bit more exciting. Just putting that out there…..