Jul 28, 2011, 4:51 AM EDT
They had been the one constant during a season that had featured plenty of ups and downs in other areas. If nothing else, the Nationals knew they could count on whichever starting pitcher they sent to the mound to churn out a quality performance and give his teammates a chance to win.
Perhaps it was inevitable this rotation would hit a bump in the road at some point. It’s not like we’re talking about the 1971 Orioles staff or the current Phillies unit. This is a rotation that gets by on guile and guts more than physical prowess, and that can only take you so far.
On Wednesday night, Livan Hernandez became the latest culprit, knocked out by the Marlins before recording an out in the fifth inning and putting his Nationals teammates in a deep hole. Despite their best effort to catapult themselves out of it with a stirring, ninth-inning rally, they still came up short in a 7-5 loss that ended on Laynce Nix’s drive to the right-field warning track.
Thus the Nationals lost their fourth straight game, all of them featuring less-than-stellar performances from their starting pitchers. During that stretch of starts by Tom Gorzelanny, Jason Marquis, Jordan Zimmermann and Hernandez, the unit has combined to post an 8.24
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year