Jul 29, 2011, 7:51 PM EST
Updated at 6:46 p.m.
Needing to clear a roster spot for Chien-Ming Wang to make his first big-league appearance in more than two years, the Nationals optioned outfielder Roger Bernadina to Class AAA Syracuse shortly before tonight's game.
The option wasn't made official until minutes before gametime, on the off chance the Nationals made another move before then (a trade or an injury to someone else) but manager Davey Johnson informed Bernadina of the plan earlier in the day.
"A brief stint down there playing every day is not going to be a setback so much," Johnson said. "And it's really not a demotion. It's out of necessity, to keep other players here in this organization without having to make massive change."
Bernadina's demotion leaves the Nationals with a 13-man pitching staff, including six starters, for the moment. It also leaves them with only Rick Ankiel and Jerry Hairston as available center fielders.Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals