Jul 29, 2011, 7:51 PM EDT
Updated at 6:46 p.m.
Needing to clear a roster spot for Chien-Ming Wang to make his first big-league appearance in more than two years, the Nationals optioned outfielder Roger Bernadina to Class AAA Syracuse shortly before tonight's game.
The option wasn't made official until minutes before gametime, on the off chance the Nationals made another move before then (a trade or an injury to someone else) but manager Davey Johnson informed Bernadina of the plan earlier in the day.
"A brief stint down there playing every day is not going to be a setback so much," Johnson said. "And it's really not a demotion. It's out of necessity, to keep other players here in this organization without having to make massive change."
Bernadina's demotion leaves the Nationals with a 13-man pitching staff, including six starters, for the moment. It also leaves them with only Rick Ankiel and Jerry Hairston as available center fielders.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip