Jul 30, 2011, 4:13 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chien-Ming Wang struggled through the first inning but settled down after that.
He stood atop the mound at 7:06 p.m., a big-league hitter stepping to the plate 60 feet and 6 inches from his position, a crowd of 30,114 settling into the ballpark and a throng of media members from his native country chronicling his every move.
Chien-Ming Wang is as stoic a ballplayer as they get, and it’s tough to detect what emotions are buried underneath his nondescript exterior. Make no mistake, though. The Taiwanese right-hander was feeling something as he stood there preparing to throw his first pitch in a major-league game in more than two years.
“I was really happy that I can still come back on the mound, and I can still pitch in a game,” he said later through translator John Hsu.
If anything, Wang admitted he was thinking too much about the fact he was pitching in the major leagues again and not enough about the actual hitters standing before him. By the time his nerves and emotions were in check, it was too late. He’d allowed the Mets’ first
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic
- Nats' Ramos shares moment in Zimmermann's no-hitter