Jul 30, 2011, 4:13 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chien-Ming Wang struggled through the first inning but settled down after that.
He stood atop the mound at 7:06 p.m., a big-league hitter stepping to the plate 60 feet and 6 inches from his position, a crowd of 30,114 settling into the ballpark and a throng of media members from his native country chronicling his every move.
Chien-Ming Wang is as stoic a ballplayer as they get, and it’s tough to detect what emotions are buried underneath his nondescript exterior. Make no mistake, though. The Taiwanese right-hander was feeling something as he stood there preparing to throw his first pitch in a major-league game in more than two years.
“I was really happy that I can still come back on the mound, and I can still pitch in a game,” he said later through translator John Hsu.
If anything, Wang admitted he was thinking too much about the fact he was pitching in the major leagues again and not enough about the actual hitters standing before him. By the time his nerves and emotions were in check, it was too late. He’d allowed the Mets’ first
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'