Jul 30, 2011, 4:04 PM EDT
In exchange for the 35-year-old Hairston, the Nationals will receive Erik Komatsu, a 23-year-old outfielder who was hitting .294 with a .393 on-base percentage for Milwaukee’s Class AA affiliate in Huntsville, Ala.
The Nationals haven’t announced the trade yet, but a source familiar with the deal has confirmed it.
A pending free agent, Hairston was an attractive commodity for contending clubs. Versatile enough to play just about anywhere on the field, and due only $700,000 for the remainder of the season, he will join a Brewers team currently in first place in the NL Central and trying to make up for the recent injury to second baseman Rickie Weeks.
In 75 games with the Nationals, Hairston hit .268 with four homers, 24 RBI and a .342 on-base percentage. He filled in admirably at third base for nearly two months while Ryan Zimmerman was on the
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'