Jul 30, 2011, 4:04 PM EST
In exchange for the 35-year-old Hairston, the Nationals will receive Erik Komatsu, a 23-year-old outfielder who was hitting .294 with a .393 on-base percentage for Milwaukee’s Class AA affiliate in Huntsville, Ala.
The Nationals haven’t announced the trade yet, but a source familiar with the deal has confirmed it.
A pending free agent, Hairston was an attractive commodity for contending clubs. Versatile enough to play just about anywhere on the field, and due only $700,000 for the remainder of the season, he will join a Brewers team currently in first place in the NL Central and trying to make up for the recent injury to second baseman Rickie Weeks.
In 75 games with the Nationals, Hairston hit .268 with four homers, 24 RBI and a .342 on-base percentage. He filled in admirably at third base for nearly two months while Ryan Zimmerman was on the
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen