Jul 30, 2011, 4:04 PM EDT
In exchange for the 35-year-old Hairston, the Nationals will receive Erik Komatsu, a 23-year-old outfielder who was hitting .294 with a .393 on-base percentage for Milwaukee’s Class AA affiliate in Huntsville, Ala.
The Nationals haven’t announced the trade yet, but a source familiar with the deal has confirmed it.
A pending free agent, Hairston was an attractive commodity for contending clubs. Versatile enough to play just about anywhere on the field, and due only $700,000 for the remainder of the season, he will join a Brewers team currently in first place in the NL Central and trying to make up for the recent injury to second baseman Rickie Weeks.
In 75 games with the Nationals, Hairston hit .268 with four homers, 24 RBI and a .342 on-base percentage. He filled in admirably at third base for nearly two months while Ryan Zimmerman was on the
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- State of the Nats: It's time for Harper vs. Trout
- More observations from Sunday's 3-2 win
- Nats get big hit for big win
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'