Jul 30, 2011, 4:04 PM EDT
In exchange for the 35-year-old Hairston, the Nationals will receive Erik Komatsu, a 23-year-old outfielder who was hitting .294 with a .393 on-base percentage for Milwaukee’s Class AA affiliate in Huntsville, Ala.
The Nationals haven’t announced the trade yet, but a source familiar with the deal has confirmed it.
A pending free agent, Hairston was an attractive commodity for contending clubs. Versatile enough to play just about anywhere on the field, and due only $700,000 for the remainder of the season, he will join a Brewers team currently in first place in the NL Central and trying to make up for the recent injury to second baseman Rickie Weeks.
In 75 games with the Nationals, Hairston hit .268 with four homers, 24 RBI and a .342 on-base percentage. He filled in admirably at third base for nearly two months while Ryan Zimmerman was on the
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win