Jul 30, 2011, 4:04 PM EST
In exchange for the 35-year-old Hairston, the Nationals will receive Erik Komatsu, a 23-year-old outfielder who was hitting .294 with a .393 on-base percentage for Milwaukee’s Class AA affiliate in Huntsville, Ala.
The Nationals haven’t announced the trade yet, but a source familiar with the deal has confirmed it.
A pending free agent, Hairston was an attractive commodity for contending clubs. Versatile enough to play just about anywhere on the field, and due only $700,000 for the remainder of the season, he will join a Brewers team currently in first place in the NL Central and trying to make up for the recent injury to second baseman Rickie Weeks.
In 75 games with the Nationals, Hairston hit .268 with four homers, 24 RBI and a .342 on-base percentage. He filled in admirably at third base for nearly two months while Ryan Zimmerman was on the
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)
- Nationals' asking price high on Storen, Clippard
- Phillies willing to trade Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee
- Nats expect McLouth to get significant playing time
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander