Jul 30, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated at 8:15 p.m.
When the move finally came Saturday, though, it was both expected and surprising. Not because Marquis was traded (to the Diamondbacks for minor-league shortstop Zach Walters) but because he was traded only two hours before he was scheduled to start at Nationals Park against the Mets.
Actually, Marquis didn’t get official confirmation of the deal until 6 p.m., just one hour before scheduled first pitch. Still wearing a Nationals T-shirt and shorts at his locker when he was summoned by team officials, Marquis watched as right-hander Yunesky Maya (who had been flown in from Syracuse earlier in the day to serve as emergency starter) entered the clubhouse and was handed his jersey for the night.
“Obviously, the rumors were swirling around here, but you’ve got to focus on what you do,” Marquis said. “But ultimately, when they came and got me and people started saying I might be traded, I’ve still got
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter
- Updated: Nats clean house with coaching staff, hope some return
- Matt Williams fired after 2 seasons as Nats manager