Jul 30, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated at 8:15 p.m.
When the move finally came Saturday, though, it was both expected and surprising. Not because Marquis was traded (to the Diamondbacks for minor-league shortstop Zach Walters) but because he was traded only two hours before he was scheduled to start at Nationals Park against the Mets.
Actually, Marquis didn’t get official confirmation of the deal until 6 p.m., just one hour before scheduled first pitch. Still wearing a Nationals T-shirt and shorts at his locker when he was summoned by team officials, Marquis watched as right-hander Yunesky Maya (who had been flown in from Syracuse earlier in the day to serve as emergency starter) entered the clubhouse and was handed his jersey for the night.
“Obviously, the rumors were swirling around here, but you’ve got to focus on what you do,” Marquis said. “But ultimately, when they came and got me and people started saying I might be traded, I’ve still got
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals