Jul 30, 2011, 9:25 PM EST
Updated at 8:15 p.m.
When the move finally came Saturday, though, it was both expected and surprising. Not because Marquis was traded (to the Diamondbacks for minor-league shortstop Zach Walters) but because he was traded only two hours before he was scheduled to start at Nationals Park against the Mets.
Actually, Marquis didn’t get official confirmation of the deal until 6 p.m., just one hour before scheduled first pitch. Still wearing a Nationals T-shirt and shorts at his locker when he was summoned by team officials, Marquis watched as right-hander Yunesky Maya (who had been flown in from Syracuse earlier in the day to serve as emergency starter) entered the clubhouse and was handed his jersey for the night.
“Obviously, the rumors were swirling around here, but you’ve got to focus on what you do,” Marquis said. “But ultimately, when they came and got me and people started saying I might be traded, I’ve still got
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen
- Nats roster preview: Ryan Zimmerman