Jul 31, 2011, 4:26 AM EST
US Presswire photo
The Nationals got to celebrate after snapping a six-game losing streak.
They spent all of Saturday trading away veterans and wondering who else might get dealt before Sunday’s 4 p.m. deadline, then went out and played their best ballgame in a week to snap a six-game losing streak.
The Nationals’ 3-0 victory over the Mets — with emergency starter Yunesky Maya tossing 5 1/3 scoreless innings, Jayson Werth clubbing a three-run homer on his bobblehead night and Drew Storen escaping a bases-loaded jam in the ninth inning — was impressive on its own merits.
Throw in the drama unfolding in the clubhouse and in the general manager’s office, and it was downright remarkable.
“That’s part of baseball,” manager Davey Johnson said. “It’s never easy on a ballclub, because you have all these attachments. Having to talk to talk to two guys and telling them they’re going somewhere else is not easy for the manager. But the players responded. They went out there and played hard. It was a great game.”
At the end of the night, though, there was still some question where the Nationals currently stand and what they plan to do before Sunday’s deadline passes.
Jason Marquis and Jerry Hairston were gone, traded away for minor-leaguers who won’t be helping the big-league club for some time. But Storen, Tyler Clippard and plenty of others remained in the clubhouse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal