Jul 31, 2011, 4:26 AM EST
US Presswire photo
The Nationals got to celebrate after snapping a six-game losing streak.
They spent all of Saturday trading away veterans and wondering who else might get dealt before Sunday’s 4 p.m. deadline, then went out and played their best ballgame in a week to snap a six-game losing streak.
The Nationals’ 3-0 victory over the Mets — with emergency starter Yunesky Maya tossing 5 1/3 scoreless innings, Jayson Werth clubbing a three-run homer on his bobblehead night and Drew Storen escaping a bases-loaded jam in the ninth inning — was impressive on its own merits.
Throw in the drama unfolding in the clubhouse and in the general manager’s office, and it was downright remarkable.
“That’s part of baseball,” manager Davey Johnson said. “It’s never easy on a ballclub, because you have all these attachments. Having to talk to talk to two guys and telling them they’re going somewhere else is not easy for the manager. But the players responded. They went out there and played hard. It was a great game.”
At the end of the night, though, there was still some question where the Nationals currently stand and what they plan to do before Sunday’s deadline passes.
Jason Marquis and Jerry Hairston were gone, traded away for minor-leaguers who won’t be helping the big-league club for some time. But Storen, Tyler Clippard and plenty of others remained in the clubhouse
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland