Jul 31, 2011, 2:47 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Yunesky Maya earned his first career win but strained an oblique muscle.
The excitement of securing his first career victory in his 10th big-league start Saturday night was somewhat tempered for Yunesky Maya, who also strained his right oblique muscle while running the bases and now is likely headed for the disabled list.
Maya, who tossed 5 1/3 scoreless innings against the Mets in an emergency start after Jason Marquis was traded to the Diamondbacks, injured himself trying to avoid a tag running toward second base in the bottom of the fifth inning. He convinced manager Davey Johnson to let him take the mound for the top of the sixth but was pulled after allowing a pair of one-out singles.
"We checked him again and he said: 'No, I'm OK,'" Johnson said. "And then [catcher Wilson] Ramos kept saying he was OK. But obviously he wasn't OK."
Johnson said Maya, whose future was already unclear in the wake of this spot start, will probably need to be place on the DL. The 30-year-old right-hander, however, insisted he can avoid a DL stint andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)