Jul 31, 2011, 8:04 PM EST
Updated at 6:40 p.m.
The Nationals general manager stayed true to his word as the clock ticked down to Sunday’s 4 p.m. trade deadline, refusing to pull off a blockbuster deal with the Twins that would have sent Storen (and probably others) to Minnesota in exchange for center fielder Denard Span (and possible others).
A frantic 72-hour countdown to the non-waiver deadline reached its conclusion Sunday afternoon without the Nationals completing any more moves. Not that Rizzo wasn’t working furiously to try to get something done.
The Nationals and Twins had been in discussions for days about a Storen-Span swap. The sticking point, according to sources familiar with the discussions: Twins GM Bill Smith wanted more players in addition to Storen included in the trade, while Rizzo was willing to deal the 23-year-old closer only if he got more than Span in return.
“We felt we couldn’t come to a deal that we were getting back enough for what we were giving up,” Rizzo said. “The quality of players, the youth of the players, the control of the players, the contract of the players … it wasn’t enough in return for us to be satisfied to make the
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust