Jul 31, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals got to celebrate after snapping a six-game losing streak.
July 31 has arrived, and it promises to be a furious countdown to the 4 p.m. trade deadline. Though the Nationals have already pulled off three trades this week — acquiring Jonny Gomes and dealing away Jason Marquis and Jerry Hairston — the big one could still come today.
It's no secret Mike Rizzo is desperately seeking a center fielder. And it's no secret Minnesota's Denard Span is at the top of his wish list. The only remaining question is whether Rizzo and Twins GM Bill Smith can agree upon the names it would require to get this done.
Smith, of course, wants Drew Storen. And probably more. Rizzo is reluctant to deal Storen, though willing if he feels like he's getting something significant in return. As best as I can tell right now, Span alone isn't enough to trade away the 23-year-old closer.
In the meantime, perhaps the Nationals' best fallback option in case they can't get Span is no longer available. The Astros traded Michael Bourn to the Braves this morning for four players: center fielder Jordan Schafer and minor-league pitchers Brett Oberholtzer, PaulRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Roark leads Nats into Lakeland to face Tigers
- Phillies Rollins won't waive no-trade clause with record in sight
- Former Nats reliever Bill Bray retiring from baseball
- Souza, Solis, Goodwin among Nationals' latest cuts
- Zimmerman gets first taste of first base
- Zimmermann gives up first run as Nats split squad loses 2-1
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats