Jul 31, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals got to celebrate after snapping a six-game losing streak.
July 31 has arrived, and it promises to be a furious countdown to the 4 p.m. trade deadline. Though the Nationals have already pulled off three trades this week — acquiring Jonny Gomes and dealing away Jason Marquis and Jerry Hairston — the big one could still come today.
It's no secret Mike Rizzo is desperately seeking a center fielder. And it's no secret Minnesota's Denard Span is at the top of his wish list. The only remaining question is whether Rizzo and Twins GM Bill Smith can agree upon the names it would require to get this done.
Smith, of course, wants Drew Storen. And probably more. Rizzo is reluctant to deal Storen, though willing if he feels like he's getting something significant in return. As best as I can tell right now, Span alone isn't enough to trade away the 23-year-old closer.
In the meantime, perhaps the Nationals' best fallback option in case they can't get Span is no longer available. The Astros traded Michael Bourn to the Braves this morning for four players: center fielder Jordan Schafer and minor-league pitchers Brett Oberholtzer, PaulRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game