Jul 31, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals got to celebrate after snapping a six-game losing streak.
July 31 has arrived, and it promises to be a furious countdown to the 4 p.m. trade deadline. Though the Nationals have already pulled off three trades this week — acquiring Jonny Gomes and dealing away Jason Marquis and Jerry Hairston — the big one could still come today.
It's no secret Mike Rizzo is desperately seeking a center fielder. And it's no secret Minnesota's Denard Span is at the top of his wish list. The only remaining question is whether Rizzo and Twins GM Bill Smith can agree upon the names it would require to get this done.
Smith, of course, wants Drew Storen. And probably more. Rizzo is reluctant to deal Storen, though willing if he feels like he's getting something significant in return. As best as I can tell right now, Span alone isn't enough to trade away the 23-year-old closer.
In the meantime, perhaps the Nationals' best fallback option in case they can't get Span is no longer available. The Astros traded Michael Bourn to the Braves this morning for four players: center fielder Jordan Schafer and minor-league pitchers Brett Oberholtzer, PaulRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1