Aug 1, 2011, 2:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel is congratulated after scoring the winning run.
After losing five straight series dating back to before the All-Star break, the Nationals finally broke through in a 3-2 win against the New York Mets on Sunday afternoon. Washington took the win and the series on an Ian Desmond walk-off single that bounced off Mets’ pitcher Bobby Parnell’s glove.
It was a win that, while not pretty, could be just what the club needs to get back on the road to .500.
“That stopped the bleeding,” outfielder Jayson Werth said. “It’s a good day, we won the series and hopefully we can build on it.”
Werth and the Nationals have had a year of ebbs and flows, but just recently they lost a season-high six straight games. Now with two consecutive victories and a much-needed series win, there was a sense in the clubhouse that maybe things are back on the way up.
Read Chase Hughes’ full game story on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies