Aug 1, 2011, 2:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel is congratulated after scoring the winning run.
After losing five straight series dating back to before the All-Star break, the Nationals finally broke through in a 3-2 win against the New York Mets on Sunday afternoon. Washington took the win and the series on an Ian Desmond walk-off single that bounced off Mets’ pitcher Bobby Parnell’s glove.
It was a win that, while not pretty, could be just what the club needs to get back on the road to .500.
“That stopped the bleeding,” outfielder Jayson Werth said. “It’s a good day, we won the series and hopefully we can build on it.”
Werth and the Nationals have had a year of ebbs and flows, but just recently they lost a season-high six straight games. Now with two consecutive victories and a much-needed series win, there was a sense in the clubhouse that maybe things are back on the way up.
Read Chase Hughes’ full game story on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season