Aug 1, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
Matt Stairs was granted his unconditional release today, officially ending his playing tenure with the Nationals. The 43-year-old had been designated for assignment Wednesday to clear roster space for recently acquired outfielder Jonny Gomes.
Any other club could have plucked Stairs off waivers, or traded for him, but he passed through unclaimed, so the Nats released him. It’s likely his big-league career, spanning 19 seasons and 12 franchises, has come to an end.
Meanwhile, Bryan Harper (brother of Bryce) has signed with the Nationals. The left-hander was selected in the 30th round of the June draft out of the University of South Carolina. Harper will report to Viera and pitch in the Gulf Coast League.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins