Aug 1, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
Matt Stairs was granted his unconditional release today, officially ending his playing tenure with the Nationals. The 43-year-old had been designated for assignment Wednesday to clear roster space for recently acquired outfielder Jonny Gomes.
Any other club could have plucked Stairs off waivers, or traded for him, but he passed through unclaimed, so the Nats released him. It’s likely his big-league career, spanning 19 seasons and 12 franchises, has come to an end.
Meanwhile, Bryan Harper (brother of Bryce) has signed with the Nationals. The left-hander was selected in the 30th round of the June draft out of the University of South Carolina. Harper will report to Viera and pitch in the Gulf Coast League.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats' defensive mistakes add up in loss to Cardinals
- Nats lose 8-0 to Cardinals on Wainwright's two-hitter
- Span scores three runs for Hagerstown in minor league rehab game
- Doug Fister pitches in Viera, timetable for return set
- Bryce Harper back in Nats’ lineup to face Cardinals
- Nats return home to face Wainwright, Cardinals
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers making noise
- Nationals dominating opponents late in games
- Instant analysis: Nats 6, Marlins 3
- Nationals face dominant Fernandez in series finale