Aug 1, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
Matt Stairs was granted his unconditional release today, officially ending his playing tenure with the Nationals. The 43-year-old had been designated for assignment Wednesday to clear roster space for recently acquired outfielder Jonny Gomes.
Any other club could have plucked Stairs off waivers, or traded for him, but he passed through unclaimed, so the Nats released him. It’s likely his big-league career, spanning 19 seasons and 12 franchises, has come to an end.
Meanwhile, Bryan Harper (brother of Bryce) has signed with the Nationals. The left-hander was selected in the 30th round of the June draft out of the University of South Carolina. Harper will report to Viera and pitch in the Gulf Coast League.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?