Aug 1, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg is likely to begin a rehab assignment with one of the Nationals’ minor-league affiliates early next week, marking the right-hander’s first appearance in a competitive game since he underwent Tommy John surgery less than one year ago.
Though team officials haven’t finalized a schedule yet, manager Davey Johnson suggested Strasburg “might get a start between the 7th and the 10th of August.”
The 23-year-old has remained at the club’s spring training complex in Viera, Fla., since Opening Day, gradually building up arm strength. He threw a three-inning “simulated game” Thursday, totaling 50 pitches and showing no ill-effects from the major elbow surgery performed on him last Sept. 3. He’s expected to throw one more simulated game Tuesday before heading north.
Strasburg dropped a hint himself Sunday night on his Twitter account, posting: “Started the packing process gettin close to kissing Florida goodbye!”
From that point on, it will be up to the Nationals to map out a schedule that allows Strasburg to pitch every fifth or sixth day at their various
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense