Aug 1, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg is likely to begin a rehab assignment with one of the Nationals’ minor-league affiliates early next week, marking the right-hander’s first appearance in a competitive game since he underwent Tommy John surgery less than one year ago.
Though team officials haven’t finalized a schedule yet, manager Davey Johnson suggested Strasburg “might get a start between the 7th and the 10th of August.”
The 23-year-old has remained at the club’s spring training complex in Viera, Fla., since Opening Day, gradually building up arm strength. He threw a three-inning “simulated game” Thursday, totaling 50 pitches and showing no ill-effects from the major elbow surgery performed on him last Sept. 3. He’s expected to throw one more simulated game Tuesday before heading north.
Strasburg dropped a hint himself Sunday night on his Twitter account, posting: “Started the packing process gettin close to kissing Florida goodbye!”
From that point on, it will be up to the Nationals to map out a schedule that allows Strasburg to pitch every fifth or sixth day at their various
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion