Aug 2, 2011, 7:07 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg completed the final task his six-month rehabilitation process in Viera, Fla., this morning, pitching a three-inning, simulated game at the Nationals' spring training complex.
Next up for the 23-year-old right-hander: A 30-day minor-league rehab stint that should begin early next week and put him on course to return to the Nationals in early September.
Strasburg, according to eyewitnesses, threw 51 pitches over three simulated "innings" to members of the Nationals' Gulf Coast League rookie team. Radar gun readings weren't provided, but he appeared to be throwing free and easy, at near-top velocity.
Thus concluded six long months of rehab in Viera for Strasburg, who reported in February having just resumed playing catch for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery Sept. 3. He gradually progressed to the point he began throwing off a mound, then adding breaking balls, then facing live hitters in a batting cage before pitchingRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres