Aug 2, 2011, 7:07 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg completed the final task his six-month rehabilitation process in Viera, Fla., this morning, pitching a three-inning, simulated game at the Nationals' spring training complex.
Next up for the 23-year-old right-hander: A 30-day minor-league rehab stint that should begin early next week and put him on course to return to the Nationals in early September.
Strasburg, according to eyewitnesses, threw 51 pitches over three simulated "innings" to members of the Nationals' Gulf Coast League rookie team. Radar gun readings weren't provided, but he appeared to be throwing free and easy, at near-top velocity.
Thus concluded six long months of rehab in Viera for Strasburg, who reported in February having just resumed playing catch for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery Sept. 3. He gradually progressed to the point he began throwing off a mound, then adding breaking balls, then facing live hitters in a batting cage before pitchingRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent