Aug 3, 2011, 2:53 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Winners of four straight, the Nationals attempt to sweep the Braves today.
When Chien-Ming Wang took the mound at Nationals Park five days ago, there was no expectation for how he might perform in his first big-league appearance in more than two years. In the end, the clearly nervous right-hander allowed the night's first five batters to reach, then settled down to toss three more innings without allowing an earned run.
Today, Wang takes the mound for his second start, and this time there will be some expectation that he show improvement from his Nationals debut. Davey Johnson isn't suddenly looking for six shutout innings from the Taiwanese hurler, but he would like to see a more consistent sinker and better command of his breaking balls.
If Wang can keep his team in the game, the Nats will have a chance to sweep the Braves and win their fifth straight, moving back to within two games of the .500 mark. It's currently raining at Nationals Park, and the grounds crew just put the tarp over the infield, but the forecast calls for things to be clear from 12-5 p.m., so they should be able to get this one in.
Check back for updates…
BRAVES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Chance of storms, 87 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to LF
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation