Aug 3, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg will make his first start in an organized game since undergoing Tommy John surgery Sunday in Hagerstown, provided the Nationals right-hander experiences no setbacks before then.
According to manager Davey Johnson, Strasburg will throw off a bullpen mound Thursday at the club's spring training complex in Viera, Fla. Assuming that goes well, the 23-year-old will head north and begin his minor-league rehab assignment Sunday with low-Class A Hagerstown. The Suns host the Greensboro Grasshoppers (a Marlins affiliate) at 4:05 p.m.
Strasburg will throw only one or two innings in his first rehab start, which comes 11 months after his surgery to replace the torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He'll slowly ramp up his pitch count and innings count after that, with his second start likely to come Aug. 12 at either high-Class A Potomac or Class AA Harrisburg.
Pitchers may not remain on a rehab assignment more than 30 days, so Strasburg would need to either be activated off the disabled list by Sept. 6 or be shut down with a new injury. The Nationals are homeRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense